2018 Draft Eligible Non-Rush DL Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 10/1/2017 at 12:38 PM, IDOG_det said:
On 10/1/2017 at 12:27 PM, BleedTheClock said:

You'd know more than me on Hurst, but yeah he looks about 280 to me, which matches his listed weight. Maybe he is bigger than that now, but he doesn't look like he's 15 pounds heavier than 280, which is what I'd want a 3-Tech on the smaller side to weigh.

He was around 270 his first year on campus, then he got up to around 280 his 2nd year. They stopped updating his real weight at that point. He probably weighs right around 300.

Regardless, he can play on the inside. He's strong enough to do it and his skillset fits there.

292 is closer to 300 than it is to 280 so I'm gonna count this as a W for me lol

I want to preface this post by saying I like Harrison Phillips, but I don't understand how Phillips is a Round 1/2 pick while Derrick Nnadi is a Round 3/4 pick. Nnadi's film is quite comparable to Phillips'. While Nnadi doesn't possess the explosiveness to be a dynamic disruptor, he's going to be a rock in the middle of somebody's defense. His film is consistent as it comes against the run. And he gets a lot of movement as a pass rusher, even if he isn't a sack artist. He's going to be a glue guy at the next level.

DEN won’t likely get a chance to draft either but DT Vita Vea and D’Ron Payne are absolute freaks.  

40 yard numbers are less important than the 10 yard split but both put up insane #’s for their size in the 40 / 10.  

Vea (347) - 5.11 / 1.77

Payne (315) - 4.91 / 1.67

The only 2 guys that can match Payne are 25 and 40 lbs. lighter.   Along with Payne and those 2 are 3 other guys at the 1.76 split that can beat Vea - and they are all 30+ lbs lighter than Vea (and at or lighter than Payne).   

They aren’t just workout warriors either their tape is elite.   

This sucks for DEN not just because we likely don’t get them but I see the Chargers D as near-elite.  A run stuffing DT who can push inside in pass downs is one of their few needs that’s hard to find.   I personally think the recent QB Rd1 talk is smokescreen to force teams to move up for the 4th/5th QB ahead of them - so they can get a Vea/Payne like talent.  Only my hunch but they are only 2-3 guys away from being complete (DT, better 4-3 OLB, T upgrade, Lamp will upgrade their 2nd G tremendously).   For Telesco at 1.17 Vea would be BPA for sure and you could easily argue Payne.   When it fits #1 need I don’t see QBOTF going there.  Just calling my hunch for the record.  

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I want to preface this post by saying I like Harrison Phillips, but I don't understand how Phillips is a Round 1/2 pick while Derrick Nnadi is a Round 3/4 pick. Nnadi's film is quite comparable to Phillips'. While Nnadi doesn't possess the explosiveness to be a dynamic disruptor, he's going to be a rock in the middle of somebody's defense. His film is consistent as it comes against the run. And he gets a lot of movement as a pass rusher, even if he isn't a sack artist. He's going to be a glue guy at the next level.

Harrison has more upside.  I think Nnadi is a more limited athlete, so theres about 10lbs difference, not much so the differences are highlighted from the combine:

slightly longer (almost 34" arms);  Phillips put up 42 bench vs Nnadi 25 (yeah not a great indicator but his upper body strength is top tier), 5" higher vert, 7" longer broad, harrison had a great 7.28 3 cone vs Nnadis ugly 8.15s (stiff as a board?)

Harrison had almost double the number of tackles, not that Nnadis production was bad for his position. 

Harrison isnt a freak but is a pretty good athlete and shows extreme strength, Nnadi is below average but could probably still be an average stater.  On the balance bottom of rd1, top of rd2 is probably right for Phillips and ~4 for Nnadi.  

3 minutes ago, lark25 said:

Harrison has more upside.  I think Nnadi is a more limited athlete, so theres about 10lbs difference, not much so the differences are highlighted from the combine:

slightly longer (almost 34" arms);  Phillips put up 42 bench vs Nnadi 25 (yeah not a great indicator but his upper body strength is top tier), 5" higher vert, 7" longer broad, harrison had a great 7.28 3 cone vs Nnadis ugly 8.15s (stiff as a board?)

Harrison had almost double the number of tackles, not that Nnadis production was bad for his position. 

Harrison isnt a freak but is a pretty good athlete and shows extreme strength, Nnadi is below average but could probably still be an average stater.  On the balance bottom of rd1, top of rd2 is probably right for Phillips and ~4 for Nnadi.  

Nnadi is strong as an ox. He's a short, squatty NT with extreme strength in his lower body and heavy hands. Phillips may have more upside, but I've got my concerns there. He looks heavy-legged to me on film. But yea, his pass rush potential is better. Still, I'd take Nnadi over him as a run stopper. I don't see a huge difference in their respective skill-sets. Throwing Combine numbers at me doesn't change what I saw on film.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, IDOG_det said:

292 is closer to 300 than it is to 280 so I'm gonna count this as a W for me lol

My question is how does that extra 10 - 12 lbs impact his mobility, some people can handle it and some it has an adverse effect.

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
20 hours ago, vikes635 said:

Does anybody know anything on how serious M. Hurst heart condition is?

I haven’t heard anything definitive as far as a diagnosis being reported yet.

Sounds like he got diagnosed with the same thing Star Lotulelei, he will undergo more test but most likely will be fine by the draft. Star has only missed 6 games I believe for Carolina so far.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:07 AM, Broncofan said:

DEN won’t likely get a chance to draft either but DT Vita Vea and D’Ron Payne are absolute freaks.  

40 yard numbers are less important than the 10 yard split but both put up insane #’s for their size in the 40 / 10.  

Vea (347) - 5.11 / 1.77

Payne (315) - 4.91 / 1.67

The only 2 guys that can match Payne are 25 and 40 lbs. lighter.   Along with Payne and those 2 are 3 other guys at the 1.76 split that can beat Vea - and they are all 30+ lbs lighter than Vea (and at or lighter than Payne).   

They aren’t just workout warriors either their tape is elite.   

This sucks for DEN not just because we likely don’t get them but I see the Chargers D as near-elite.  A run stuffing DT who can push inside in pass downs is one of their few needs that’s hard to find.   I personally think the recent QB Rd1 talk is smokescreen to force teams to move up for the 4th/5th QB ahead of them - so they can get a Vea/Payne like talent.  Only my hunch but they are only 2-3 guys away from being complete (DT, better 4-3 OLB, T upgrade, Lamp will upgrade their 2nd G tremendously).   For Telesco at 1.17 Vea would be BPA for sure and you could easily argue Payne.   When it fits #1 need I don’t see QBOTF going there.  Just calling my hunch for the record.  

Vea fits what you say the Chargers are looking for, as run stuffing DT who can also help on a pass rush, but I suspect that D'Ron Payne is more of a pasas rusher than a run stuffer and will be used that way at the next level.

17 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

My question is how does that extra 10 - 12 lbs impact his mobility, some people can handle it and some it has an adverse effect.

Looked to me hat he can handle he extra weight, but we will just have to see how his health checks out.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:36 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Da'Ron Payne doesn't strike me as a 3-Tech. More of a double team eater IMO. He could play 3-Tech, but I'm assuming he is looking for a squatty penetrating UT, which I don't think Payne is.

RJ McIntosh from Miami would be perfect and should be available in the late 1st. I know he's underachieved big time, but I still like DaShawn Hand. He has Chris Jones potential, but I couldn't really justify putting him in the 1st round.

@RedRider, what has Jaleel Johnson done for you guys? I really liked him coming out.

From what I saw on film, Payne can definitely be a 3 tech and teams are likely to want him just to do that, as it still remains a passing league first and foremost. He can give you more as well, but his first priority will be rushing the passer.

Just rewatched Maurice Hurst for the 1st time in 2 months trying to watch him with a totally blank slate without factoring in the outside consensus.

I now have him as my DT1 and a top 10 player in this class. 

1. He’s so freaking disruptive and consistently so.  After a while it’s hard to ignore a guy making that kind of impact every single game.

2. The explosion is transcendent.  The only comparable this year is Taven Bryan but Bryan doesn’t bring it as consistently.

3. He’ll get washed in the run game now and then but that’s worth the price of admission.  Furthermore it’s not nearly as bad as it’s made out to be.  He’ll consistently get into the backfield so quick that he’ll either redirect the RB or tackle him for a loss.  Furthermore there is a lot of film of him anchoring and shedding the blocker to tackle the RB in the gap.  

4. I still have an athleticism concern with him from the film.  I really wish he was able to work out at the combine but we’ll find out soon enough.  However even if he tests out averagely I’m going to have a hard time moving him down.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived