2018 Draft Eligible Non-Rush DL Thread

CalhounLambeau

Can anyone explain why Lowell has such miniscule stats this season? I didn't get a chance to watch Utah. He was hyped as a low R1 pick in 2017 but it looks like a middle R3 grade for him is commonplace now. Motor issues? Scheme? Conditioning? Injury? I like that he is devalued and think he would be a great heir to Domata Peko in Denver after a season of development, but worry about the production, even if he is a NT.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Taven Bryan, Christian Wilkins, and Da'Ron Payne should offer value at those spots.

Da'Ron Payne doesn't strike me as a 3-Tech. More of a double team eater IMO. He could play 3-Tech, but I'm assuming he is looking for a squatty penetrating UT, which I don't think Payne is.

RJ McIntosh from Miami would be perfect and should be available in the late 1st. I know he's underachieved big time, but I still like DaShawn Hand. He has Chris Jones potential, but I couldn't really justify putting him in the 1st round.

@RedRider, what has Jaleel Johnson done for you guys? I really liked him coming out.

36 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Da'Ron Payne doesn't strike me as a 3-Tech. More of a double team eater IMO. He could play 3-Tech, but I'm assuming he is looking for a squatty penetrating UT, which I don't think Payne is.

RJ McIntosh from Miami would be perfect and should be available in the late 1st. I know he's underachieved big time, but I still like DaShawn Hand. He has Chris Jones potential, but I couldn't really justify putting him in the 1st round.

@RedRider, what has Jaleel Johnson done for you guys? I really liked him coming out.

Realizing that at the moment he's likely more potential than finished product, but Dre'Mont Jones (assuming he comes out) definitely projects better as a 3-Tech than just about anything else (though I think he's got a lot of versatility to move up and down the line if he meets his potential). Same can probably be said about NC State's Kentavius Street, who is probably going to go higher than most think once the testing is done (he's more right now than just a lump of clay and someone front office/coaching staff is going to salivate at that upside), particularly if his arms measure longer than most would expect from a 6'1" and change frame like it looks to me like they should.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, BleedTheClock said:

You don't have to fit 3 -Techs into a box, every 3 - Tech doesn't have to be a twitchy, squatty, up the field  penetrating guy. Payne is primarily a 3-Tech at Alabama and dominates, why couldn't he do the same in the league? plus If you pay attention, he is an underrated pass rusher and I think he has potential to be a 6-8 sack guy in the league and constantly collapsing the pocket and is a complete stud against the run.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:18 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

Can anyone explain why Lowell has such miniscule stats this season? I didn't get a chance to watch Utah. He was hyped as a low R1 pick in 2017 but it looks like a middle R3 grade for him is commonplace now. Motor issues? Scheme? Conditioning? Injury? I like that he is devalued and think he would be a great heir to Domata Peko in Denver after a season of development, but worry about the production, even if he is a NT.

He’s a space eater. Not much else. Don’t worry about it too much. He’ll be a fine 3-4 NT.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

Conor Sheehy | 4SR |  DOB: 11/28/94  | 6’3” 295e | Wisconsin
Position: Power Defensive End  |  Projection: Free Agent

Games Evaluated: BYU (2017), Utah State (2017)
Background: Wisconsin native. Three-star recruit according to ESPN. Personal Finance major. Played in 14 games played as a freshman. Started 6 of 13 games as a sophomore. Started 11 of 13 games missing 1 game to a broken wrist which he played through for two weeks as a junior. Voted a 2017 team captain. Started all 14 games played as a senior. Father played basketball at Wisconsin. Sister competed in crew at Duke. Accepted invitation to play in the 2018 East West Shrine Game.

Positives: Adequate height. Proportioned frame. Good height to weight ratio. Solid mass throughout his body with a good base in his hips and sturdy ankles. Active hands with good placement. Has a knack for swallowing ball carriers with his left arm and not letting them off the hook. Holds up when single blocked showing good effort and the ability to hold his ground. Strong work ethic and dedication to working on his technique. A no-nonsense leader by example who avoids the bright lights.

Negatives: Length looks to be below average. Lacks ideal foot quickness, speed and burst. Has a disconnect between his upper and lower body. Lacks bend. Noticeable stiffness which impairs his balance and puts him on the ground too often. Gets easily washed by double teams. Too often lets plays go by right around him. His range of impact is below average and does not impact enough plays out of his direct area. An ineffective pass rusher due to athletic limitations. Will turn 24 during his first NFL season.

Outlook: A sturdy run-stopper with above-average technique but limited athleticism, range, explosiveness and size. The epitome of the type of player Wisconsin likes to develop and typically maximize. Sheehy has ideal football character and some positives qualities that will endear him to football people but comes up short in too many areas.

• 3 weeks later...

My ranks so far, appreciate any debate or tips on prospects I should watch:

1. Taven Bryan (top 20)
  2. Vita Vea (top 20)
  3. DaRon Payne (top 20)
  4. Maurice Hurst (1st)
  5. Harrison Phillips (1st/2nd)
  6. DJ McIntosh (2nd/3rd)
  7. Derrick Nnadi (2nd/3rd)
  8. Rasheem Green (3rd)
  9. Trenton Thompson (4th)
  10. Breeland Speaks (Day 3)

38 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

1. Taven Bryan (top 20)
  2. Vita Vea (top 20)
  3. DaRon Payne (top 20)
  4. Maurice Hurst (1st)
  5. Harrison Phillips (1st/2nd)
  6. DJ McIntosh (2nd/3rd)
  7. Derrick Nnadi (2nd/3rd)
  8. Rasheem Green (3rd)
  9. Trenton Thompson (4th)
  10. Breeland Speaks (Day 3)

John Atkins has always caught my eye when watching Georgia's defense. I need to go back and just focus on him to know exactly where I stand on him, but he's definitely an under-the-radar guy to check out.

PJ Hall needs more attention. There isn't much film out there on him, but he's a freak. He mostly played as a big DE at Sam Houston State, but he definitely will play in the interior in the NFL. He wasn't asked to attack the backfield too much so his film is definitely very up and down and filled with a lot of plays where he's just playing his gap, but he when he does attack upfield? He's really impressive. I don't know if he's going to be at the combine (I assume he will) but I'm pretty confident he's going to test as one of the best in this class. He's 6'0" even and about 310 lbs but I have at least once seen him chase down a RB a good 40 yards down the field.

12 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

PJ Hall needs more attention. There isn't much film out there on him, but he's a freak. He mostly played as a big DE at Sam Houston State, but he definitely will play in the interior in the NFL. He wasn't asked to attack the backfield too much so his film is definitely very up and down and filled with a lot of plays where he's just playing his gap, but he when he does attack upfield? He's really impressive. I don't know if he's going to be at the combine (I assume he will) but I'm pretty confident he's going to test as one of the best in this class. He's 6'0" even and about 310 lbs but I have at least once seen him chase down a RB a good 40 yards down the field.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

PJ Hall will be a nice project at DT for some team, dude can ball.

One of the best interior pass rushers in this class, he will be a hidden gem for a team

On 1/20/2018 at 6:28 PM, Chwf3rd25 said:

1. Harrison Phillips (1st/2nd)

Out of all those, the one I have the most problem with is Harrison Phillips going in the first two rounds. He is bad at rushing the passer, and doesn't take double teams well at all. He has good run stuffer potential, but it isn't enough to get him that high. 

Taven Bryan won't go top 20 either. When everything is going well for the kid, he is nearly impossible to guard. BUT he is way too inconsistent to go in the top 32. If he can improve his feel for the game, and vastly improve his pass rushing skill set he could be one of the most dominating 5-Techniques in football. He is really far from those days however. 

With all that being said, I am extremely confident that he can reach his potential. But unless you're sitting around 28-32 you don't often have the ability (because of so many needs elsewhere) to have a 1st rounder sit in a rotation along the D-Line. 

Archived