2018 Draft Eligible Non-Rush DL Thread

CalhounLambeau

8 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Out of all those, the one I have the most problem with is Harrison Phillips going in the first two rounds. He is bad at rushing the passer, and doesn't take double teams well at all. He has good run stuffer potential, but it isn't enough to get him that high. 

Taven Bryan won't go top 20 either. When everything is going well for the kid, he is nearly impossible to guard. BUT he is way too inconsistent to go in the top 32. If he can improve his feel for the game, and vastly improve his pass rushing skill set he could be one of the most dominating 5-Techniques in football. He is really far from those days however. 

With all that being said, I am extremely confident that he can reach his potential. But unless you're sitting around 28-32 you don't often have the ability (because of so many needs elsewhere) to have a 1st rounder sit in a rotation along the D-Line. 

Phillips - maybe he won’t ever be a great pass rusher but he can be an elite run stuffer with some pass rush ability.  His motor and hand fighting are the best in this class plus his tackle numbers bode well in his projection. I didn’t see the double team issues but I’ll go back and look for it.  Late 1st or early 2nd seems like a good spot.

Bryan - out of all the top DTs he’s the only one with the potential to become an elite pass rusher.  He’s super raw but I’ve seen him completely take over games vs Texas A&M and Florida St and I think his quickness and strength will immediately translate if a team just asks him to disrupt while he takes a season to learn technique.

On 1/26/2018 at 6:29 PM, YogiBiz said:

Out of all those, the one I have the most problem with is Harrison Phillips going in the first two rounds. He is bad at rushing the passer, and doesn't take double teams well at all. He has good run stuffer potential, but it isn't enough to get him that high. 

He's playing out of position at nose tackle for Stanford, it's honestly hard to evaluate him because he's being asked to sacrifice so much.  He's a 3T and ideally he plays next to a space eater that allows him to battle 1-on-1 against an OL.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:11 PM, CWood21 said:

He's playing out of position at nose tackle for Stanford, it's honestly hard to evaluate him because he's being asked to sacrifice so much.  He's a 3T and ideally he plays next to a space eater that allows him to battle 1-on-1 against an OL.

I can see why you say that, but even in 1v1 situations he's not generating pressure. And when a DL can get to the qb, they can get there even out of position. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Need more Tim Settle talk, 340 pounds and the lightest feet. That's a combination that can't continue to go unnoticed. 

Dude has stud potential, he was just too inconsistent for me, I always wanted more from him. He has a tremendous lower body, and uses his hands very well, I just wish his motor stays the same all of the time. Super underrated, has a lot of Cortez Kennedy to his game.

On 1/30/2018 at 9:18 AM, YogiBiz said:

I can see why you say that, but even in 1v1 situations he's not generating pressure. And when a DL can get to the qb, they can get there even out of position. 

He's playing nose, which Stanford asks him more to eat blockers than rush the passer.  Despite that, he still generates good pressure.  He's a quality DT, he's just not the impact DT you wish he was.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's playing nose, which Stanford asks him more to eat blockers than rush the passer.  Despite that, he still generates good pressure.  He's a quality DT, he's just not the impact DT you wish he was.

Can he even play inside at all at the next level? 255 is awfully light. 

58 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Dude has stud potential, he was just too inconsistent for me, I always wanted more from him. He has a tremendous lower body, and uses his hands very well, I just wish his motor stays the same all of the time. Super underrated, has a lot of Cortez Kennedy to his game.

I love me some  Tim Settle.  He is a man child.  One of my man-crushes for this draft.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:27 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Settle is a freaky athlete. His explosiveness and closing speed from a man his size are insane. It'll be interesting to see if a team can get him to play to potential. He could be a game-wrecker inside.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:38 AM, CWood21 said:

I turned on the Phillips film wanting to love him, and I didn't. He just didn't seem very explosive and didn't close well (his balance was also suspect). He's strong, he's smart, and he's technically sound. I think he'll be a good 4-3 NT. But I don't see him being a great pass rusher. I think he'll be a glue guy. He'll be a very good to great run stuffer who will get effort sacks and an occasional quick sack from his football IQ and hand usage. That's a quality player in the second round, but I was hoping he could be a studly NT for Wade Phillips. I don't think he'll be that.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Settle is a freaky athlete. His explosiveness and closing speed from a man his size are insane. It'll be interesting to see if a team can get him to play to potential. He could be a game-wrecker inside.

I turned on the Phillips film wanting to love him, and I didn't. He just didn't seem very explosive and didn't close well (his balance was also suspect). He's strong, he's smart, and he's technically sound. I think he'll be a good 4-3 NT. But I don't see him being a great pass rusher. I think he'll be a glue guy. He'll be a very good to great run stuffer who will get effort sacks and an occasional quick sack from his football IQ and hand usage. That's a quality player in the second round, but I was hoping he could be a studly NT for Wade Phillips. I don't think he'll be that.

I got into it with a guy a while ago that tried to convince me that Phillips was better than Da'Ron Payne and Christian Wilkins. Phillips is a whole lot of nothing to me, Phillips actually looks and plays similar to Jamie Meder.

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I got into it with a guy a while ago that tried to convince me that Phillips was better than Da'Ron Payne and Christian Wilkins. Phillips is a whole lot of nothing to me, Phillips actually looks and plays similar to Jamie Meder.

Da'Ron Payne puts him to shame. That's a man who can be a great run stopper and a good pass rusher. He's the guy I want the Rams to draft if we go NT in Round 1.(I already know Vea won't be there)

Archived