CalhounLambeau

31 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yeah thats what is worrying me with Minkah

Not a pure corner

Not sure if he's got Natural FS range

Hes really a Nickle/SS and could be a stellar one 

but is that worth the 4 pick?

Nope. 

We want a FS so we can move Peppers out of that role and put him in the nickel or at SS. Drafting Minkah doesn’t fix that issue. We would still want a FS next year so we could move Peppers to SS and Fitzpatrick to the nickel.

I’m not spending a top 5 pick on a guy that will be moving to a position he has never played so we can fix the error we made last year of playing Peppers in a spot where he never played.

Both Peppers and Fitzpatrick can play FS, but it’s a waste of their talent.

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nope. 

We want a FS so we can move Peppers out of that role and put him in the nickel or at SS. Drafting Minkah doesn’t fix that issue. We would still want a FS next year so we could move Peppers to SS and Fitzpatrick to the nickel.

I’m not spending a top 5 pick on a guy that will be moving to a position he has never played so we can fix the error we made last year of playing Peppers in a spot where he never played.

Both Peppers and Fitzpatrick can play FS, but it’s a waste of their talent.

Thats what I'm thinking

But lets say we get a pure FS in the 2nd is Fitzpatrick worth the pick to be our nickel?

I guess 4 comes down to Barkley or Chubb

16 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Thats what I'm thinking

But lets say we get a pure FS in the 2nd is Fitzpatrick worth the pick to be our nickel?

I guess 4 comes down to Barkley or Chubb

No, because we would have Peppers in the Nickel role. Or another corner like Briean Boddy-Calhoun if we sign someone like Trumaine Johnson in free agency, which I expect us to do.

Here's what I'd like to do with our first few picks:

1- Sam Darnold QB

4-Saquon Barkley RB

2nd-Orlando Brown OT

2nd-Anthony Miller WR

2nd-Quin Blanding FS

3rd-Braxton Berrios WR

3rd-Deon Cain WR

4th-MJ Stewart CB

5th-Skai Moore WLB

6th-Antonio Callaway WR

6th-Matthew Thomas MLB

7th-Donnie Miles SS

*And get Trumaine Johnson in FREE AGENCY.

This would give us a base secondary like this:

CB: Johnson/McCourty/BBC/Stewart/Taylor/Wilson

FS: Blanding/Nacua

SS: Peppers/Kindred/Miles

With our nickel package looking like this:

LE: Emmanuel Ogbah

DT: Larry Ogunjobi

DT: Trevon Coley

RE: Myles Garrett

LB: Jamie Collins (could put Skai Moore in for coverage & move Collins to LDE and Ogbah to DT to replace Coley)

LB: Christian Kirksey (coult put Skai Moore in for coverage)

Nickel: Jabrill Peppers

CB: Trumaine Johnson

CB: Jason McCourty

FS: Quin Blanding

SS: Derrick Kindred

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Denzel Ward v Jason Verrett as a prospect, who'd you prefer? 

Ward is a better athlete. Verrett is a great athlete, but Ward is special. His ability to run in sync with WR's is pretty spectacular, even on shifty/tricky routes. This isn't to say Verrett isn't a beast, but Ward is a better prospect.

EDIT: Also, Ward has more experience playing press man, off man, press zone, and off zone. Verrett was in zone 90% of the time at TCU, IIRC.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yeah thats what is worrying me with Minkah

Not a pure corner

Not sure if he's got Natural FS range

Hes really a Nickle/SS and could be a stellar one 

but is that worth the 4 pick?

He's your nickel back, in more cases.  You want to move him around, and utilize him in a role where he's playing closer to the LOS and near the ball.  I mean, I believe he could be a serviceable boundary corner, but I think his value gets minimized there.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Blanding playing high at FS isn't ideal. 

Why? I know he's not a great athlete nor does he have very good lateral speed, but the dude doesn't miss tackles as your last line of defense, doesn't ever get burned in coverage, and is always in position. The only thing he doesn't do great is drive on the ball when it's in the air. If something is thrown in the void between the linebackers and safeties, he doesn't have the raw explosive speed to put his foot in the ground and drive on that throw. So he's not really a ball-hawk back there, but he's as rock solid of a FS as you can find. He's very good with his angles and his drops, making sure everything stays in front of him and reading the QB's eyes. He can play SS too, but I really do think he's more of a FS. He's not very physical or aggressive, which leads me to believe playing against TE's as a SS would give him problems in the run game. He's a wrap-up space tackler, not a Derwin James eat your face tackler.

I'm not saying he's Earl Thomas or Ed Reed back there...he's not. But in this class, there aren't any guys comparable to that and you're either going to be converting a corner/SS to FS to get a great athlete there or you're going to be drafting a solid but unspectacular player there. I don't see any beasts at FS this year. Blanding may not have any standout trait, but for what the Browns ask their FS to do (chill deep, don't get beat over the top, and make every tackle that breaks in front of you), he is ideal. We play our safeties 25-30 yards off the ball (not an exaggeration, sadly) and basically play a 10 man defense with 1 guy deep to clean up any mess or seepage the other 10 guys let leak through. Blanding is a perfect clean up guy.

42 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why? I know he's not a great athlete nor does he have very good lateral speed, but the dude doesn't miss tackles as your last line of defense, doesn't ever get burned in coverage, and is always in position. The only thing he doesn't do great is drive on the ball when it's in the air. If something is thrown in the void between the linebackers and safeties, he doesn't have the raw explosive speed to put his foot in the ground and drive on that throw. So he's not really a ball-hawk back there, but he's as rock solid of a FS as you can find. He's very good with his angles and his drops, making sure everything stays in front of him and reading the QB's eyes. He can play SS too, but I really do think he's more of a FS. He's not very physical or aggressive, which leads me to believe playing against TE's as a SS would give him problems in the run game. He's a wrap-up space tackler, not a Derwin James eat your face tackler.

I'm not saying he's Earl Thomas or Ed Reed back there...he's not. But in this class, there aren't any guys comparable to that and you're either going to be converting a corner/SS to FS to get a great athlete there or you're going to be drafting a solid but unspectacular player there. I don't see any beasts at FS this year. Blanding may not have any standout trait, but for what the Browns ask their FS to do (chill deep, don't get beat over the top, and make every tackle that breaks in front of you), he is ideal. We play our safeties 25-30 yards off the ball (not an exaggeration, sadly) and basically play a 10 man defense with 1 guy deep to clean up any mess or seepage the other 10 guys let leak through. Blanding is a perfect clean up guy.

Would you say he’s a poor mans Harrison Smith?

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

Would you say he’s a poor mans Harrison Smith?

Meh....probably not. Smith was extremely rangy and more aggressive. Blanding is kind of...well...bland. He won't make many plays on the ball like Smith did. He is more of a preventer than he is a playmaker. Smith at Notre Dame made a ton of plays by baiting QB's and getting in passing lanes. Blanding isn't that kind of player.

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He will be cleaning stuff up after he lets it get by him? No sir. It will be too late. i really like Blanding. But not in that role.

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

He will be cleaning stuff up after he lets it get by him? No sir. It will be too late. i really like Blanding. But not in that role.

Huh? He doesn't get burned deep ever that I've seen. He keeps everything in front of him. He'll clean up the front 7's mess, not his own mess.

A couple of late round Hokie CBs available in Brandon Facyson and Greg Stroman. Both are playing in the East West game.

Thoughts on the two? Stroman is smaller, but could be a special teams/returner as well as a dime guy. Facyson might have a decent chance to play a lot in packages. Wondering what you all saw. 

Anyone have thoughts on JC Jackson? The off the field concerns are for sure there but so is the talent and athleticism. There are some toolsy CB prospects that will be available in the mid rounds. McFadden, Toliver are intriguing as well. 

How high can Holton Hill climb? He's a specimen. Some problems at Texas but not sure it's an issue going forward. 

On 12/28/2017 at 11:22 AM, IDOG_det said:

Stewart looks like he's closer to 5'10" and looks like he weighs around ~195-200. Quandre Diggs was 5'9" 196 coming out of Texas and probably weighs around 205 right now. Stewart isn't really bigger and stronger, go back and look how Diggs was built at Texas. If anything he was built larger than Stewart.

MJ Stewart just weighed in at 5'10" 5/8th's and 198 lbs @BleedTheClock

Archived