What team that EVERYONE thinks is absolutely AWFUL right now will MAKE THE PLAYOFFS this year?

VanS

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

Touche. Although it took an all-time bad defense for that to happen. Don't think Seattle's gonna be in that boat. But, regardless, point taken.

Seattle has lost pretty much everything except Wagner on defense, and Wilson on offense.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Seattle has lost pretty much everything except Wagner on defense, and Wilson on offense.

That's what happens typically when SB teams built through the draft have to pay the Piper down the road around the same time. It's why winning as many as you can during those Rookie deals is so important.

11 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

I would think the Seahawks, right? Everyone thinks they've completely gutted their roster and are now horrible, but the NFCW aside from the Rams (who are potentially one-hit wonders) is pretty bad.

hot take. seahawks finish higher than the rams

ill bookmark this page

rams are set up to underachieve

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's what happens typically when SB teams built through the draft have to pay the Piper down the road around the same time stop drafting well almost entirely. It's why winning as many as you can during those Rookie deals is so important.

FTFY.  Teams that draft well are able to replace free agents by continuing to draft well.  If you can't continue to draft well, well no matter how you built unless you have lets say a top five all time quarterback and a top five all time coach, you're eventually going to fail. 

I think the team maybe in this category who I'd give the best chance to would be the Arizona Cardinals. Their roster doesn't look so bad, and I think Rosen could surprise if he takes over. David Johnson is an elite NFL running back, while Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk could become the backbone of a decent receiving corps. Defensively, the Cardinals have plenty of playmakers like Patrick Peterson, Chandler Jones, and Antoine Bethea, and I think Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick could be set up for good seasons. Put it all together, and I think the Cardinals have a chance to finish around 9-7 or 10-6.

6 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

I think the team maybe in this category who I'd give the best chance to would be the Arizona Cardinals. Their roster doesn't look so bad, and I think Rosen could surprise if he takes over. David Johnson is an elite NFL running back, while Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk could become the backbone of a decent receiving corps. Defensively, the Cardinals have plenty of playmakers like Patrick Peterson, Chandler Jones, and Antoine Bethea, and I think Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick could be set up for good seasons. Put it all together, and I think the Cardinals have a chance to finish around 9-7 or 10-6.

The problem with the Cardinals as I see it is in the trenches.  Yeah they signed Justin Pugh, so they should have a good pair of guards for David Johnson to run behind, but their offensive tackles are the worst outside of Houston.  I think Sam Bradford is a decent average quarterback who won't hold your team back but won't propel you into the playoffs and Josh Rosen was my favorite QB prospect from this past year's draft.  But combine piss poor pass protection with two capable but veeeery injury prone quarterbacks and you have a recipe for Mike Glennon seeing the field by week nine.  And then on the other side, who is even on their defensive line? 

@Darth Pees @Malfatron We shall see about that concerning the Rams. As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest indicator of a team having success one season to another is point differential. The Rams were 4th in the NFL last season beating their opponents by an average of 8.0pts per game. They didn’t lose anyone on offense outside of Watkins but gained Cooks who is a better fit in McVay system. The transformed the defense to fit Wade system. Last year the Rams were playing with players who didn’t fit Wade system because they focused so much on guys on offense to fit McVay system. The Rams will be better on defense and while they might not average 30pts a game on offense this season, they still will be hard to stop and be top 5, at worst top 10 on offense. So no way will they be one year wonders or underachievers barring injuries.

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

@Darth Pees @Malfatron We shall see about that concerning the Rams. As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest indicator of a team having success one season to another is point differential. The Rams were 4th in the NFL last season beating their opponents by an average of 8.0pts per game. They didn’t lose anyone on offense outside of Watkins but gained Cooks who is a better fit in McVay system. The transformed the defense to fit Wade system. Last year the Rams were playing with players who didn’t fit Wade system because they focused so much on guys on offense to fit McVay system. The Rams will be better on defense and while they might not average 30pts a game on offense this season, they still will be hard to stop and be top 5, at worst top 10 on offense. So no way will they be one year wonders or underachievers barring injuries.

I'm not sure if I should put this here or the other thread.  I wanted to bring up that in 2016, the Dallas Cowboys were third in points differential.  The Eagles were 10th.  The Falcons were second in points differential.  The Saints and Panthers were 17th and 25th respectively.   Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, the Ram were 30th in point differential in 2016 at -10.6 and the Jaguars were 27th in 2016 at -5.1.  I'm sorry, but I'm skeptical that this is "the biggest indicator of a team having success one season to another". 

4 minutes ago, Crickett said:

I'm not sure if I should put this here or the other thread.  I wanted to bring up that in 2016, the Dallas Cowboys were third in points differential.  The Eagles were 10th.  The Falcons were second in points differential.  The Saints and Panthers were 17th and 25th respectively.   Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, the Ram were 30th in point differential in 2016 at -10.6 and the Jaguars were 27th in 2016 at -5.1.  I'm sorry, but I'm skeptical that this is "the biggest indicator of a team having success one season to another". 

I cant speak for those other teams you mentioned but the Rams pretty much revamped their roster and coaching staff. The Rams were a completely different team from 2016 to 2017. It would be one thing if the Rams kept their same team and coaching staff and improved like that. We saw under the Fisher era that wasnt the case and it wasnt ever going to the be the case. Which if you go look at the Rams years with Fisher you will see a pattern. The point differential is more than likely pathetic, mediocre at best. Fisher had the Rams pathetic, mediocre at best. 

15 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Ummm, then how can you claim point differential is "the biggest indicator of a team having success one season to another"?

Because Ill take the Raiders for example in 2016. They had a point differential of +1.1 but they were (12-4). They won alot of close games that season. In 2017 their point differential was -4.5 and they were (6-10). Those close games they were winning in 2016, they were losing those same close games in 2017. However, in the Rams case, they were so dominant that there were few close games that you can point to and say that had that same game been played a different result could happen due to how close the score was. Like 7 games last year the game ended in a 7pt margin or less. The Rams were (4-3). The Seahawks game, Kupp dropped the game winning td. The Saints game it really was a 26-13 game and Brees threw a late garbage td to give the Saints an onside kick chance. So you can even put those games two games into context. 

16 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Because Ill take the Raiders for example in 2016. They had a point differential of +1.1 but they were (12-4). They won alot of close games that season. In 2017 their point differential was -4.5 and they were (6-10). Those close games they were winning in 2016, they were losing those same close games in 2017. However, in the Rams case, they were so dominant that there were few close games that you can point to and say that had that same game been played a different result could happen due to how close the score was. Like 7 games last year the game ended in a 7pt margin or less. The Rams were (4-3). The Seahawks game, Kupp dropped the game winning td. The Saints game it really was a 26-13 game and Brees threw a late garbage td to give the Saints an onside kick chance. So you can even put those games two games into context. 

So you take one example outside of the Rams 2017 season and think that's enough evidence to make your claim?

Archived