If Barry Sanders was playing in todays NFL would he have been as successful?

beats2rock

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If he were used like Alvin Kamara, sure.

12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I came to say, put him in an Andy Reid or Sean Payton offense and he'd do wonders.

Its funny to me that people think Alvin is just a gadget player.  You would think folks would learn after doubting him in the draft cause he didn't get many carries in college.  Now because he wasn't getting 18 carries a game last year, people assume he can't do that.  Funny.

Alvin Kamara is a complete RB that can succeed in ANY system.  He can do anything and everything.  And he'll prove that this year and in coming years.   With that said, its wrong to compare Barry Sanders to him.  Barry is way better.  He's arguably the greatest RB in NFL history outside of Jim Brown.  To suggest that Barry needs to be in a certain system to succeed is asinine.  The guy could play in any system and any era.  He was that good.

Lotta disrespect going on this thread with the way ya'll are talking about Barry. 

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Just think of LeSean McCoy but less of an off the field headache.

SMH.  More like imagine LeSean McCoy then make him 100x better.  Then you might get close to what Barry Sanders was.

As I said in my previous post, there is a lot of disrespect being handed out to arguably the second greatest RB in NFL history by comparing him to guys he's significantly better than.  Go and look up Barry Sanders' numbers and highlights.  There isn't a single RB playing today in the NFL that is comparable to him.  PERIOD.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Its funny to me that people think Alvin is just a gadget player.  You would think folks would learn after doubting him in the draft cause he didn't get many carries in college.  Now because he wasn't getting 18 carries a game last year, people assume he can't do that.  Funny.

Alvin Kamara is a complete RB that can succeed in ANY system.  He can do anything and everything.  And he'll prove that this year and in coming years.   With that said, its wrong to compare Barry Sanders to him.  Barry is way better.  He's arguably the greatest RB in NFL history outside of Jim Brown.  To suggest that Barry needs to be in a certain system to succeed is asinine.  The guy could play in any system and any era.  He was that good.

Lotta disrespect going on this thread with the way ya'll are talking about Barry. 

No disrespect intended. He was my favorite RB coming out in that class. I just think that Reid and Payton would best utilize that talent. 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

I don't know where you are getting this from. Of course Sanders could do well in any system today in his prime, but the system that fits him best would be what Sean Payton is running in New Orleans.

And nobody is calling Kamara a gadget player.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't know where you are getting this from. Of course Sanders could do well in any system today in his prime, but the system that fits him best would be what Sean Payton is running in New Orleans.

I mean, kind of disrespectful to Kamara to mention him in the same sentence as Barry IMHO...

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Why Payton/Reid type offenses? Sanders wasn't a pass catcher. Sure he could catch but he was never ever utilized like a Westbrook, McCoy, Charles, Kamara type RB.

Sanders would be successful in any offense period. The only thing that would hold him back from Dominating would be forcing him to play with a FB but even then, he'd still be the best RB in the league. Which includes Bell , DJ and others.

You put Sanders behind a top 5 OL (Dallas,Eagles,Ect) he's approaching 2,000 yds on a yearly basis even in the pass wacky era.

His Skill set would translate to any era.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why Payton/Reid type offenses? Sanders wasn't a pass catcher. Sure he could catch but he was never ever utilized like a Westbrook, McCoy, Charles, Kamara type RB.

Sanders would be successful in any offense period. The only thing that would hold him back from Dominating would be forcing him to play with a FB but even then, he'd still be the best RB in the league. Which includes Bell , DJ and others.

You put Sanders behind a top 5 OL (Dallas,Eagles,Ect) he's approaching 2,000 yds on a yearly basis even in the pass wacky era.

His Skill set would translate to any era.

I think it would provide maximum output from him and the offense in today's NFL. 

I think he'd be great in any offense. I think he'd be at his best in that offense.

if that makes sense...

On 7/22/2018 at 3:47 PM, VanS said:

Do you have any evidence to support this?  I know people like to believe that athletes are bigger, faster, and stronger now.  But I've yet to see any tangible evidence of it. Its not like we have combine data going back that far so we can trace an increase in average speed.

I personally think the dominant players of the past would be dominant now.  And in some cases, even more dominant considering the current generation of talent in the NFL isn't that good.  The NFL goes through cycles when it comes to the overall talent in the league.  Some eras are better than other eras.  With that said, I would not count the current era of NFL football as being among the best we've seen.  The 90s and early 00s had far more talent in the NFL than we have right now.

You are and aren't right. 

You're right in that body types and their potential haven't really changed in different eras, but wrong in assuming the game and competition hasn't changed. Historic players gain training and overall athleticism with the advancements in technology and emphasis on nutrition in the new era, but so do their competitors. It's tough to say for sure.

He'd probably be near as good on a per-down basis but not be getting the same level of carries, due to a general trend away from full workhorse backs and that he's a little undersized relative to the guys like Bell/Fournette/Elliot who do get a super high number of carries.

On 7/23/2018 at 9:21 AM, Danger said:

Just think of LeSean McCoy but less of an off the field headache.

Not comparable. Shady set up his blocks and followed the lead. Sanders went where the spirit moved. One issue was that the OL never knew where he was going. Another was that he was prone to negative yardage. I love Barry. He is the most famous person ever to attend my high school, but his play had warts.

J

Archived