BDL 2018 Summer Owners Meeting

SirA1

So my argument for reducing contracts to a max of 5 years is mostly for purposes of FA when they just get maxed out to 6 to reduce the cap hits on guys you are already getting a substantial discount on anyway. 

NFL deals are mostly along those lines nowadays or shorter. The only deals that are 6 years are done that way to spread out Signing Bonuses, which we don't have to worry about. And as others have already pointed out those last years are bloated to make the contract look good and aren't guaranteed so normally never are realized.

As for 3 Ups, since we focus on the Average Salary as a basis for most deals the players are still getting the same per year that they would on a 6 year deal they will just be able to get a new deal a year sooner now. Likely a better deal. So if a guy signs a 6 year deal IRL you would still use that to get his Average but for BDL purposes just multiple that by 5 instead for his BDL deal.

52 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I will approve 3 if it applies to FA only.

FA as in bidding or FA as in heading into FA? I know there has been extensive contracts done IRL like for Smith and Chancellor over the years that went for 6 years.

1 hour ago, PR said:

FA as in bidding or FA as in heading into FA? I know there has been extensive contracts done IRL like for Smith and Chancellor over the years that went for 6 years.

Thought it was clear, but I approve 5 year contracts as maximum allowed during the bidding process.  I am for leaving 6 year contract maximums as related to 3ups and extensions.

My thought is that, if a team offers someone like Tyron Smith a 6 year deal, the person who drafted/signed that player should be allowed the benefit of such a contract when they 3Up the player.

However, in BDL, 6 year deals are essentially only used to cut yearly costs when bidding in FA.  That's what should be removed.

Archived