The official training camp thread

MWil23

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Williams is a clown. What an idiot. More 10 on 11 this year. He and Hue are why I pick us to underachieve and finish last again this year.

Well maybe it will actually work when he has a legit FS back there. Scheme might work when you have a ball hawk playing in that role. Hooker would have been perfect for it. He had a stud FS with the Saints, where he ran similerstuff and he won a super bowl off of it. Hell just rewatched the Porter pick 6 from that super bowl, the safety was at least 15yards off the ball. You can’t tell cause he isn’t on the screen when you watch the highlight. So he could of been farther. So to me there might be a chance because Peppers won’t be playing in that role this year.

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Baker hasnt thrown an INT and according to Couch he looks great for an air raid QB. 

When do you want him to take the reins?

When he is the best option at QB. Maybe that is 2020 and maybe it was yesterday.

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well maybe it will actually work when he has a legit FS back there. Scheme might work when you have a ball hawk playing in that role. Hooker would have been perfect for it. He had a stud FS with the Saints, where he ran similerstuff and he won a super bowl off of it. Hell just rewatched the Porter pick 6 from that super bowl, the safety was at least 15yards off the ball. You can’t tell cause he isn’t on the screen when you watch the highlight. So he could of been farther. So to me there might be a chance because Peppers won’t be playing in that role this year.

No.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

No.

I’m not the happiest about that scheme. I’m just being optimistic. Only thing nice from that video is he actually has his corners playing up instead of 8yards off the ball. 

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I’m not the happiest about that scheme. I’m just being optimistic. Only thing nice from that video is he actually has his corners playing up instead of 8yards off the ball. 

This is the part I noticed that seemed most relevant.

I said last year you can play a FS back deep, or you can play corners off, but you can’t do both like we were last year.

I’m not sure I see the need for that type of depth, but as long as we aren’t giving teams uncontested 5 yard outs, im good.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I said last year you can play a FS back deep, or you can play corners off, but you can’t do both like we were last year.

I’m not sure I see the need for that type of depth, but as long as we aren’t giving teams uncontested 5 yard outs, im good.

Yeah a deep FS works if you don’t allow WRs to have clean release or you don’t properly redirect. It works to erase mistakes when you have DBs playing aggressive but like you said, when both were back and playing soft, it killed them both. Let’s see how it works with legit corners and a true FS

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The problem with this schematically is that with that 10 on the line/FS 20 yards back formation in the picture, as soon as a WR beats the press they have a free 10-15 yards before hitting the FS's depth. It's part of what killed us in the CInci games last year. Greg seems to be playing to take away deep mid and LoS stuff. But we've seen efficiency #s in the last few years that suggest that the most efficient stuff is in that 5-15 range, which is exactly what his defense seems designed to give up.

7 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

The problem with this schematically is that with that 10 on the line/FS 20 yards back formation in the picture, as soon as a WR beats the press they have a free 10-15 yards before hitting the FS's depth. It's part of what killed us in the CInci games last year. Greg seems to be playing to take away deep mid and LoS stuff. But we've seen efficiency #s in the last few years that suggest that the most efficient stuff is in that 5-15 range, which is exactly what his defense seems designed to give up.

It’s the bend and then inevitably break defense. Back when teams could actually play Tampa/Cover 2 the bend/keep everything in front worked because you could force high throws and turnovers or hold out in the red zone, but the league is WAY different now. See: illegal contact and targeting.

15 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

No I get it, and I’m with you, I’m just saying at least now they actually have to beat a CB to get open as opposed to just waiting for the ball to be snapped.

Archived