The official training camp thread

MWil23

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Fans are gonna be clamoring for him before long.

Tyrod’s a good bridge, but if the kid’s ready...

Yeah I don't really have much faith in Tyrod keeping Baker at bay. I don't think Tyrod is going to be a dumpster fire, but if Baker looks good early, play the kid. Tyrod is a solid player, but he's not the answer at QB. He's Brian Hoyer that can run. Solid, but if Baker shows signs that he's ready to play from day 1, put him in there. Even if Baker looks like a C+ while Tyrod looks like a solid B, put the kid in there in the hopes that he eventually turns into an A- or better. There is enough talent on this roster (conceivably) to work through some Baker kinks and still win games. He's not going to have to play hero ball, which has led to so many bad habits with young QB's. He can play pitch & catch to our stud TE's, RB's and WR's all while leaning on the defense, which should be infinitely better with the addition of Denzel Ward (whom I project will be a top 5 NFL CB) and company. We are also due for some young player surprises, as so many talented young dudes with potential are on this roster. I expect at least one of these young first-second-third year players to have a great year out of nowhere.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I don't really have much faith in Tyrod keeping Baker at bay. I don't think Tyrod is going to be a dumpster fire, but if Baker looks good early, play the kid. Tyrod is a solid player, but he's not the answer at QB. He's Brian Hoyer that can run. Solid, but if Baker shows signs that he's ready to play from day 1, put him in there. Even if Baker looks like a C+ while Tyrod looks like a solid B, put the kid in there in the hopes that he eventually turns into an A- or better. There is enough talent on this roster (conceivably) to work through some Baker kinks and still win games. He's not going to have to play hero ball, which has led to so many bad habits with young QB's. He can play pitch & catch to our stud TE's, RB's and WR's all while leaning on the defense, which should be infinitely better with the addition of Denzel Ward (whom I project will be a top 5 NFL CB) and company. We are also due for some young player surprises, as so many talented young dudes with potential are on this roster. I expect at least one of these young first-second-third year players to have a great year out of nowhere.

Barring injury, Tyrod has to play and get this team used to winning - EXPECTING to win.  Until that happens, any QB will feel compelled to play hero ball.  We don't want to thrust Baker into that situation, that is why Tyrod is here.

56 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Tj Carrie has been absolutely abused in camp. I don’t think I’ve seen one video where he doesn’t get burnt or one mention of him breaking up a pass. 

TJ Carrie is bad. Hes been bad, he was bad and he forever will be bad. I said that when we signed him he will be no better (if not worse) than Jamar Taylor because thats who he is. We are seriously giving a starters spot to a former 7th round draft pick who was cut by the worst secondary in the NFL who has a career 3 INTs

The only question is how long will it take for Gregggg to figure it out and give Gaines/BBC more PT.

31 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

TJ Carrie is bad. Hes been bad, he was bad and he forever will be bad. I said that when we signed him he will be no better (if not worse) than Jamar Taylor because thats who he is. We are seriously giving a starters spot to a former 7th round draft pick who was cut by the worst secondary in the NFL who has a career 3 INTs

The only question is how long will it take for Gregggg to figure it out and give Gaines/BBC more PT.

Gregg will probably play him at DE

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Switching positions and lining up against Garrett every day will do that to a fella.

Still all we’ve heard so far is that he’s still fighting for that spot. He should have had it locked up by now. Especially when the guy he’s fighting against is Greg Robinson. 

55 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

On the bright side, Carrie makes ten million this year and then totally cuttable--only a 2.7 cap hit for year two of four year deal, which isn't bad--if he ends up garbage:

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2018/3/22/17153688/breakdown-of-cb-t-j-carries-contract-with-the-browns

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Switching positions and lining up against Garrett every day will do that to a fella.

Meh he was inconsistent last year too and had a horrible stretch of holding/false start penalties. Im not a huge fan of changing positions for O-linemen after the failed Cam Erving experiment. I honestly dont think he will be anything more than a career rotational guy.

Which brings me back to my next point. Drafting Austin Corbett was stupid considering the massive need at Tackle. Over drafted a Guard in the high 2nd round to wait and see if he can transition to being a tackle in the future? Weird

Archived