The official training camp thread

MWil23

I watched all of Joel's tape coming out.. he is a great LG... his movement skills and foot movement ... kick step lack the required athleticism to be a good guard...

Who's to say Corbett makes a good LG right away as he's only played LT in college...I think he'll be good at guard but I never saw him as plug in play due to play deficiencies...

This is a move of desperation brought on by a forced depth chart move based on the personnel availability...

Here's to hoping it works out well... 

When it doesn't go well and we move Joel back to LG ... will he have lost something due to technique regression that is guaranteed to happen...here's to hoping Corbett can acquire the foot movement and hip flexibility and deep anchor to excel at guard right away.

Joel's always been a stiff legged, lock knee'd athlete...in short quarters with an amazingly strong upper body... Bitonio is like an elite greco roman wrestler that mauls people on the inside at LG..

On the Island at LT he can be a fish out of water... his additional weight added at Guard won't help him at LT...

Hopefully if he struggles some at LT.. he doesn't lose confidence in a detrimental way that affects his longterm play and prospects as an elite guard/olineman.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Joel's always been a stiff legged, lock kneed athlete...his additional weight added at Guard won't help him at LT...

A lot has changed since his college days so those videos aren’t very helpful. Also helps that they say he looked good vs Garrett

@buno67

A lot has changed as in Bitonio hasn't played LT since...

I posted those videos to give people that never watched Joel play tackle some insight into how he played it when he did.

Although much time has passed... a few things are still the same for Joel... he's a stiffed leg athlete that can get in trouble when put on an Island...

His knowledge, strength, and hand technique is superior at this point of course...

A day or two ago.

Joe Thomas quickly realizes that Corbett isn't a tackle. 

Hue disagrees "Joe is entitled to his opinion"

Nek minute.... Corbett isn't at tackle and at LG and Bitonio is at LT.

It shows that Dorsey got his team construction wrong unless Corbett is a great guard immediately. 

Before Training camp we had 

LT ???
LG Great player
C decent
RG great player
RT decent player

now we have

LT Bitonio,  probably a decent player there, will be good at run blocking
LG Rookie.
C Decent player
RG Great player
RT decent player

We have potentially made a strong group a lot worse. I realize that LT don't grow on trees and that there wasn't a clear cut awesome LT in the draft, but it wasn't handled correctly unless someone comes out of nowhere. 

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Corbett was bitonios replacement at Nevada and was better so I gotta think it’s not out of the realm that we get a bitonio like rookie season out of Corbett which would still make our line pretty darn good 

hopefully. The other options is a strong group got weaker. 

If Desmond Harrison can play then the problem is solved. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

hopefully. The other options is a strong group got weaker. 

If Desmond Harrison can play then the problem is solved. 

The issues isn’t if Harrison can play, more if he can be big enough and keep weight on

Archived