2018 Hall of Fame game - Bears vs Ravens

Webmaster

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

Lamar's play speed 2as excellent when compared to rg3. 

You can see how much injuries have taken their toll on his physical abilities.

That said, I don't think there's any player who'd be a more perfect teacher for LaMar Jackson specifically than RG3.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

That said, I don't think there's any player who'd be a more perfect teacher for LaMar Jackson specifically than RG3.

The problem is, what is he teaching? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on RG3, and most of what I know is media drivel of course, but the mental aspect of the game was never portrayed in a favorable light with RG3. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The problem is, what is he teaching? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on RG3, and most of what I know is media drivel of course, but the mental aspect of the game was never portrayed in a favorable light with RG3. 

This. Jackson is a freak athlete, that cannot be taught. He is going to need to learn the NFL game though, keep hammering his mechanics, etc. I don't think RG3 is going to be a massive help with that.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

This. Jackson is a freak athlete, that cannot be taught. He is going to need to learn the NFL game though, keep hammering his mechanics, etc. I don't think RG3 is going to be a massive help with that.

Here's a little quote on what RGIII's been trying to relay to Jackson, and I think it kind of speaks volumes about what RGIII is teaching him.

RGIII on Lamar running: "[Lamar’s] natural instinct when he’s running is that nobody is going to tackle him, no one can tackle him. There’s some guys in this league that can tackle him, and he’ll figure that out."

Basically, "I came into the league thinking this, but then I learned you can't do that". Basically I just want RGIII to teach Lamar what not to do. RGIII seems pretty self-aware. He's well aware of what killed his career and why that happened, so if he can help Lamar not go down that path (learn to slide and not take big hits, specifically), I think that's all we need right now. Other than that, by having RGIII around now, we're setting ourselves up for next year when Lamar is the starter and RGIII is the backup. RGIII isn't gonna be the guy to teach Lamar about progressions and the intellectual side of quarterbacking - and quite frankly neither will Joe Flacco - but if he can teach Lamar what NOT to do to preserve your body, that's a huge benefit to him.

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Here's a little quote on what RGIII's been trying to relay to Jackson, and I think it kind of speaks volumes about what RGIII is teaching him.

Basically, "I came into the league thinking this, but then I learned you can't do that". Basically I just want RGIII to teach Lamar what not to do. RGIII seems pretty self-aware. He's well aware of what killed his career and why that happened, so if he can help Lamar not go down that path (learn to slide and not take big hits, specifically), I think that's all we need right now. Other than that, by having RGIII around now, we're setting ourselves up for next year when Lamar is the starter and RGIII is the backup. RGIII isn't gonna be the guy to teach Lamar about progressions and the intellectual side of quarterbacking - and quite frankly neither will Joe Flacco - but if he can teach Lamar what NOT to do to preserve your body, that's a huge benefit to him.

Makes a lot of sense actually. 

Guys without Jackson's natural ability can't see things the way he does especially in the open field.

Sure Peyton Manning, for example, could say slide or take a sack but when Jackson is scrambling to the edge and there's a Safety coming at him he might feel like he has the angle or could juke him out and get some extra yards. 

Not many QBs see that game that way because they're either getting out of bounds or sliding there. Jackson's intuition will probably say go for it, RG3 could tell him otherwise. It's different coming from Flacco than RG3.

17 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

My hope is that they are just being super cautious with that rule and lighten up on it.

For what it's worth, the NHL did the same thing this season with their new slashing rules.  It was called a ridiculous amount of times in the preseason, and got the same reaction that's happening in this thread.  It was severely toned down for regular season and no one really talked about it again.  

Archived