Oren Burks?

n8ghee

Oren Burks  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will Oren Burks be Just Another Guy, like Jake Ryan?

• Yes
    • No

On 8/16/2018 at 5:53 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are we really that athletic?

HHCD: Good player but not a great athlete (wrong)

Brice: Decent straight line athlete, explosive leaper, but stiff (big hitter with some flaws yes)

Tramon Williams: Was a good athlete, not so much anymore.(TBD - you have no clue so why pretend to know what Tramon has left)

Kevin King: Great athlete (yes)

Jaire Alexander: Great athlete (yes)

Blake Martinez: Good player but not a great athlete (great football player so not sure where you are coming from)

Oren Burks: Very good athlete (very impressed to date)

Nick Perry: Explosive, but not what I would consider a great athlete in the classical sense (for his size great athlete - sop don't confuse thatr with being injury prone))

Clay Matthews: Not a great athlete any more (true)

Mike Daniels: Good player but not a great athlete (absolutely great athlete for his size)

Kenny Clark: Good player but not a great athlete (see Mike Daniels)

You could probably argue a few of these but I think I was fair. 

As you can read, I agree very little with your assessment. You are way too over critical IMO.

12 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

As you can read, I agree very little with your assessment. You are way too over critical IMO.

HHCD is a DB who runs a 4.58 40, has a 33" vertical, and a 7.16 3-cone. How is that a "great athlete"?. There's nothing close to great about that. He's closer to deficient as an athlete than he is a great athlete.

Tramon is old. He ran a 4.57 at his pro day in 2006! The idea that Tramon is a great athlete right now is just crazy.

Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark are not great athletes at position played relative to the rest of the NFL. Look at the high end picks coming into the league these last few years.

You're confusing good players with good athletes.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

HHCD is a DB who runs a 4.58 40, has a 33" vertical, and a 7.16 3-cone. How is that a "great athlete"?. There's nothing close to great about that. He's closer to deficient as an athlete than he is a great athlete.

Tramon is old. He ran a 4.57 at his pro day in 2006! The idea that Tramon is a great athlete right now is just crazy.

Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark are not great athletes at position played relative to the rest of the NFL. Look at the high end picks coming into the league these last few years.

I would agree that you can be overly critical of players at times, but what you said above is completely fair and I agree with all of it

13 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Packers under Wolf used to build the roster to win at Lambeau in December/January -  often preferring a more robust player over a pure athlete. Is that still a thing in GB ? Or is that just an anachronism in the modern game ?

Agree with the general "December/January" thesis - but you'll have to define "robust" better if I'm to understand/agree with the comment as a whole.

Generally speaking I think the GBPs picked up guys that would play better in bad weather conditions. Perhaps that where you were going and it wasnt a bad idea - but its one thats not aged well in this age of indoor / domed stadiums and/or artificial grass surfaces. The Ice Bowl is a long time ago and the number of "mudfests" has decreased over time - whereas the need for speed has increased. 

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Packers under Wolf used to build the roster to win at Lambeau in December/January -  often preferring a more robust player over a pure athlete

Is that still a thing in GB ? Or is that just an anachronism in the modern game ?

Yea, that was a long time ago. Plus we actually had a defense back then

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

For the record, it's pretty well established that Tramon had something go wrong during his pro day and that he is/was a legit 4.3 guy.

He was never a 4.57 guy ?

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

While I have no problem saying Tramon isn't an exceptional athlete at this point in his career... that dude may have ran a 4.57, but he was sure as heck faster than that on the field and his vert and 3 cone were pretty dang impressive.

Archived