Preseason WEEK 1, GDT vs Tennessee

squire12

15 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Excellent post.

After 3 seasons, we knew what Ryan offered and it was not much especially defending the pass.

Burks may never even be as good as Ryan, but he certainly has the potential to be so, so much better.

The Martinez-Burks ILBer duo could finally turn a position of perpetual weakness into one of strength.

Should be exciting to see the what the rookie will bring to the table this year and in the future.

One of the things I loved about Burks is that he is a former safety that grew too big.  He still has room to grow physically, and being that he played safety at Vandy for a bit, is still learning how to play LB.  Which is why he isn't quite sure how to fill run gaps as we saw a couple times tonight.  But he still has the athletic ability, especially in coverage, of what you'd want from a LB while having good size.  

Frame to grow physically + room to grow instinctually + great physical potential  = a player I am excited about.  We have long needed a guy who could cover in space and Burks has the potential to fill that role.  Whether he reaches that potential we can't know.  But Ryan being out will speed up his learning curve.

In today's NFL, I would much rather need to teach a LB how to fill run gaps than how to cover.  

Over the Top First Impressions:

The RG spot should be upgraded sometime. We'll be fine this year but I'm thinking we could do much better than what we got going on.

We've got plenty on the IOL and almost nothing on the EOL. McCray=Patrick/>Pankey>the field. Anybody that wanted Bulaga cut is a goofball. Spriggs still looks the prettiest out there but his hands are just trash. Murphy lacks explosion to really hang with the speedy dudes. Count me as not a fan of Bell playing OT for us.

Burks at OLB > than ILB. (not edge) He just doesn't have the nuances of playing banger.  If Greer emerges I'm cool with it, otherwise we have to find that role player.

Jackson still looks scared of contact.. Tajae is a gatekeeper IMO and he ate his lunch. Kentrell lookin like primetime out there, he just seems to have a grown man feel to him IMO.

The battle between Herb and Pip should be about the closest throughout preseason. I'd be down with cutting Rollins tonight and putting Demetri on notice.

I have no idea about the safeties yet, or the CB's deep.. or the WR's for that matter, although they seem to all be doing something. Jmon still my boi, drops and all. MVS growing tho. I just can't see Kumerow making it with all the kids doing fine and Allison with them hands. If we didn't have GMO I'd say Kumerow was a lock.

I'd be pretty surprised if Kizer didn't bump over Hundley for the next game.

Looney and Lowry seem to provide about the same thing for this game. Mont looking like the 4th guy up on the DL, couldn't be more stoked about that, little rough in the power game but that's not really todays NFL anyways.

I want to hate Jamaal Williams but he just does all the little things right. I think our backfield is in a good spot.

Marcedes       :x 

Fackrell should probably slip behind Biegel at this point just to see what Vince got. Gilbert being the 3rd EDGE is depressing. Donnerson with the FF. ALL ABOARD THAT TRAIN.

Things I'm excited for:

Jaire , Graham, Rodgers, Daniels, Perry, Matthews and Wilkerson in that order. 

The looks both the O and D put out were fun. Preseason calls but interesting looks. I'm stoked for our Coordinators/HC right now. Also Zook playing with these new rules is fun.

Whose stock rose the most:

1. Marquez Valdes-Scantling: Looked like the #4 receiver. Got open and caught the ball every time. He did not look like a one-trick pony, either. He ran good routes and made a beautiful contested catch for a TD. 

2. Brett Hundley: I was hoping Deshone Kizer would beat him out for the backup QB position, and maybe I still am, but Hundley looked way better than he did in last year's preseason, when he mostly just threw short passes. This time, he was looking to throw downfield, made quick decisions, and was accurate with almost every throw. 

3. Josh Jackson: Nice one-on-one coverage on play after play. Was called for defensive holding once, but it looked like a bad call on the replay. Maybe he stuck his hands out a little too much so that it looked like holding to the ref. 

4. Oren Burks: Covered a lot of ground. Showed some pass coverage skills. Was beaten once, I think by a tight end, but he had a lot of field to defend and the receiver broke to the outside, which is a hard play even for a defensive back to defend. 

5. Akeem Judd: Brand-new RB showed some wiggle. I assumed he was too small for the Packers to keep, but I looked him up just now, and it says he weighs 225. He moves like a smaller back. Maybe he could sneak onto the roster or at least the practice squad.  

Whose stock dropped the most:

1. Quinten Rollins: Gave up a big play on the first drive when he undercut a route and came up empty, then fumbled the ball on a punt return. Somehow, he always seems to be a day late and a dollar short. 

2. Deshone Kizer: Made some good throws and a couple of good runs, but the offense bogged down both times they got close to the goal line. He looked very much the part of a QB who can't win an NFL game. Decision-making seemed slow with those throws near the goal line. This could improve with experience in the Packers offense. 

3. All of the backup tackles: I'm not sure what Byron Bell was even doing out there. He got lit up for an easy sack and also committed a holding penalty. Kyle Murphy was terrible too. I think Jason Spriggs struggled again as well, though I don't recall him getting utterly destroyed as he usually does. Is it time to try Adam Pankey earlier in these preseason games? Help! 

4. James Lofton: By the end of the game, I was wishing we had Rich Gannon back. And I can't stand Gannon. Lofton has a wordy style and made way too many bad jokes. He got worse and worse as the game went on, sounding almost desperate to make an impression on the audience. 

Miscellaneous:

1. J.K. Scott: Only two punts: A 31-yard stinker (fair caught at the 21-yard line) and a 52-yard beauty that was only returned a few yards. 

2. Kendall Donnerson: Kudos to him for stripping the ballcarrier for the defense's' only turnover of the game. 

3. Vince Biegel: Recovered the fumble, but mostly he just seems to get pushed around out there, like Kyler Fackrell. 

4. Tim Boyle: Made some good throws and some bad throws. Strong arm. Stands tall in the pocket and looks to throw, but ran for about a six-yard-gain one time. Would have had an even better night statistically if J'Mon Moore did not drop his perfectly thrown bomb. 

5. I thought there was a high snap on one of the PATs, but there was no replay and no way of knowing which long snapper was responsible for it. Other than that (and I'm not even sure I saw it), the field goal team looked fine. 

6. The receivers were fun to watch. The three draft picks, Kumerow, and Yancey all had their moments. After Valdes-Scantling, I would say that Jake Kumerow and Equanimeous St. Brown looked the best. I liked St. Brown's abrupt change of direction after making that one catch over the middle. 

7. Good preseason game overall with no major injuries as far as I could tell. Josh Jones walked to the locker room with a trainer at one point, but he was not limping. It was a boring night for the sideline reporters, and that's a good thing. 

Following up on the MVS upgrade over Janis I went to the stats of the CLE/TB game to see what Janis contributed - but I think he's injured (or something) as he didnt register anything. Regardless - I dont think Janis ever moved like MVS is capable - and I didnt even see the GB/TEN game! How's that for telepathic skills? :)

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay.....problem identified...time to move on. Easy. Just do it. OT is a position that needs some focus. 

He's a guard at this point in his career. He's only ever been a mediocre tackle on his best day and we're years passed that.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Following up on the MVS upgrade over Janis I went to the stats of the CLE/TB game to see what Janis contributed - but I think he's injured (or something) as he didnt register anything. Regardless - I dont think Janis ever moved like MVS is capable - and I didnt even see the GB/TEN game! How's that for telepathic skills? :)

Yeah Janis wasn't playing

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yup. Appears so. Is he a candidate for a backup G spot on our roster?
I dont keep as close track of OL folks as other positions.

Big mess of guys in there gonna be fighting for spots. He's probably got a good argument as the 7th or 8th guy behind the starters, Patrick, Spriggs, and Murphy

3 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Whose stock rose the most:

1. Marquez Valdes-Scantling: Looked like the #4 receiver. Got open and caught the ball every time. He did not look like a one-trick pony, either. He ran good routes and made a beautiful contested catch for a TD. 

2. Brett Hundley: I was hoping Deshone Kizer would beat him out for the backup QB position, and maybe I still am, but Hundley looked way better than he did in last year's preseason, when he mostly just threw short passes. This time, he was looking to throw downfield, made quick decisions, and was accurate with almost every throw. 

3. Josh Jackson: Nice one-on-one coverage on play after play. Was called for defensive holding once, but it looked like a bad call on the replay. Maybe he stuck his hands out a little too much so that it looked like holding to the ref. 

4. Oren Burks: Covered a lot of ground. Showed some pass coverage skills. Was beaten once, I think by a tight end, but he had a lot of field to defend and the receiver broke to the outside, which is a hard play even for a defensive back to defend. 

5. Akeem Judd: Brand-new RB showed some wiggle. I assumed he was too small for the Packers to keep, but I looked him up just now, and it says he weighs 225. He moves like a smaller back. Maybe he could sneak onto the roster or at least the practice squad.  

Whose stock dropped the most:

1. Quinten Rollins: Gave up a big play on the first drive when he undercut a route and came up empty, then fumbled the ball on a punt return. Somehow, he always seems to be a day late and a dollar short. 

2. Deshone Kizer: Made some good throws and a couple of good runs, but the offense bogged down both times they got close to the goal line. He looked very much the part of a QB who can't win an NFL game. Decision-making seemed slow with those throws near the goal line. This could improve with experience in the Packers offense. 

3. All of the backup tackles: I'm not sure what Byron Bell was even doing out there. He got lit up for an easy sack and also committed a holding penalty. Kyle Murphy was terrible too. I think Jason Spriggs struggled again as well, though I don't recall him getting utterly destroyed as he usually does. Is it time to try Adam Pankey earlier in these preseason games? Help! 

4. James Lofton: By the end of the game, I was wishing we had Rich Gannon back. And I can't stand Gannon. Lofton has a wordy style and made way too many bad jokes. He got worse and worse as the game went on, sounding almost desperate to make an impression on the audience. 

Miscellaneous:

1. J.K. Scott: Only two punts: A 31-yard stinker (fair caught at the 21-yard line) and a 52-yard beauty that was only returned a few yards. 

2. Kendall Donnerson: Kudos to him for stripping the ballcarrier for the defense's' only turnover of the game. 

3. Vince Biegel: Recovered the fumble, but mostly he just seems to get pushed around out there, like Kyler Fackrell. 

4. Tim Boyle: Made some good throws and some bad throws. Strong arm. Stands tall in the pocket and looks to throw, but ran for about a six-yard-gain one time. Would have had an even better night statistically if J'Mon Moore did not drop his perfectly thrown bomb. 

5. I thought there was a high snap on one of the PATs, but there was no replay and no way of knowing which long snapper was responsible for it. Other than that (and I'm not even sure I saw it), the field goal team looked fine. 

6. The receivers were fun to watch. The three draft picks, Kumerow, and Yancey all had their moments. After Valdes-Scantling, I would say that Jake Kumerow and Equanimeous St. Brown looked the best. I liked St. Brown's abrupt change of direction after making that one catch over the middle. 

7. Good preseason game overall with no major injuries as far as I could tell. Josh Jones walked to the locker room with a trainer at one point, but he was not limping. It was a boring night for the sideline reporters, and that's a good thing. 

Can't say I agree with you on Kizer's stock dropping. He had some nice plays. That deep ball to MVS on the run was impressive.

I don't know if I'd call Scott's first kick a "stinker". You'd think he was going to hang time there and didn't quite get all that he wanted.

Archived