Preseason Overreaction Thread

SmittyBacall

Which players or teams have looked the best so far?

The Bengals in general looked fantastic opening week against the Bears. Our offense was crisp both on the ground and through the air. Dalton was as sharp as he's ever looked, distributing the ball to multiple targets with zip and ease whilst protected by an improved line. Not to jump to conclusions (but what the heck, it's an overreaction thread) this receiving core has the makings of our elite 2015 group featuring Green, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Eifert and Bernard. Green is Green. Ross looks explosive, though he slipped at the top of his route on the offenses only blemish. Tyler Boyd is a saavy slot option who appears completely rejuvenated and poised for a huge year. Josh Malone, an extremely physically gifted receiver at 6'3 with 4.4 wheels, was impressive and looked completely effortless ripping off big gains. And Auden Tate, a seventh round flyer, buttressed his training camp hype with a deep go-ahead touchdown to win the game. We have the makings of a special unit early. Oh ya, and Joe Mixon is an absolute monster.

The defense played great as well. Our deep, deep defensive line rotation is going to cause a lot of offensive lines headaches moving forward; pressure from multiple sources outside of the expected Atkins, Dunlap, Lawson. 

From what I've seen, we're more underhyped than even I once thought. I wouldn't be surprised if we're fighting Pittsburgh for the division title in the final weeks of the season.

From around the NFL, holy hell was I impressed with Darnold. Poised, decisive, ball placement, movement etc. Watching him just made me feel sexy. Mayfield wasn't as impressive, but still looked really good. Before the last few drafts, the future of the NFL was looking kind of bleak at quarterback with Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger and co. on their way out. But I think the future is bright. 

Anyway, what players or teams caught your eye?

Only one of Darnold's throws was nearly intercepted on a play where the timing was completely off and it looked like the receiver ran a poor route.

The video is paused at the time of the throw (2:43). It looks like the receiver took far too much time setting up his route and getting up field instead of breaking off the slant sharply in the path of Darnold's ball. The play is designed to pick up those 4-6 yards and by the way that receiver ran that route there's no way that's how the play was designed. Just poor.

Simply, Darnold made seemingly every correct read and delivered the ball exactly how it should be delivered. He checked down when he had to, moved up in the pocket when he had to, and took off and ran when he had to. He really did no wrong in my eyes. His accuracy and ball placement blew me away to be honest. Even when he was rolling out and on the move, throwing to his right or (much more impressively) his left. He hit every receiver right on the numbers. He even missed appropriately high or low on low percentage throws. Mayfield however, while still good, was much more sporadic. He threw a high ball to Callway on a dropped screen, next play he finds a wide open receiver who has to dive low to secure the catch. He also forced a couple balls that I deemed risky to attempt. He was just missing receivers; all and all his balls just hit the ground way more often than Darnold's. Below the video is timed when he once again, threw a pretty poor ball that his receiver had to reach back and grab, stopping all forward momentum and any chance at YAC. This may just be because his chemistry isn't 100% with every new receiver, but regardless, Darnold just looked better. If you watch every throw from the two it's exceedingly obvious who had the better night.

Nobody should be playing the preseason. Look at the injuries already. Guice, Cain, Peterson out for the season due to ACL injuries. The Niners who are the trendy pick in the NFC lost 7 guys in their Week 1 preseason game. Like either don’t play the preseason or do like McVay did and if the starters have a great week of practice and accomplished everything you want them to do then just don’t play them in the game. There is no need to risk injury. 

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The Raiders got 7 instant starters this year out of the draft/UDFA.

Miller (LT) , Hurst (DT) , Hall (DT), Key (OLB/DE), Nelson (CB), Pinerio (K), Townsend (P).

Miller a starter not so sure about that boss. If Nelson needs to start ohhh my goodness we are not doing well. 

4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Nobody should be playing the preseason. Look at the injuries already. Guice, Cain, Peterson out for the season due to ACL injuries. The Niners who are the trendy pick in the NFC lost 7 guys in their Week 1 preseason game. Like either don’t play the preseason or do like McVay did and if the starters have a great week of practice and accomplished everything you want them to do then just don’t play them in the game. There is no need to risk injury. 

An for every injury in a preseason game you can match just as many "during" TC practices. The only thing eliminating preseason games would accomplish is you/ We having to watch poor football the first month of the season.

Players already aren't allowed to tackle or wear pads but "X" amount of days. These current Training Camp rules are a joke when compared to back in the day. That's why we see more injuries IMO. Lack of conditioning (football) and tackling. Actual game like conditions.

Instead of 2 a days we have walk throughs, shells, shorts and they wonder why players come up limp? Guice could of just as easily torn his ACL as say Verrett dud during Practice. I've seen numerous Eagle players lost to season ending injuries over the years "In Camp". You don't prevent injuries by going 3/4 speed in practice. If anything it creates even more.

It's football, injuries occur.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

An for every injury in a preseason game you can match just as many "during" TC practices. The only thing eliminating preseason games would accomplish is you/ We having to watch poor football the first month of the season.

Players already aren't allowed to tackle or wear pads but "X" amount of days. These current Training Camp rules are a joke when compared to back in the day. That's why we see more injuries IMO. Lack of conditioning (football) and tackling. Actual game like conditions.

Instead of 2 a days we have walk throughs, shells, shorts and they wonder why players come up limp? Guice could of just as easily torn his ACL as say Verrett dud during Practice. I've seen numerous Eagle players lost to season ending injuries over the years "In Camp". You don't prevent injuries by going 3/4 speed in practice. If anything it creates even more.

It's football, injuries occur.

Ok but wouldn’t you say training camp count more than a preseason game? Like there is a training camp/practice to get the team better and ready for the regular season. Preseason is just a game to see those players in a live game against another team. It’s pointless if the coaches can evaluate their own players in camp. College players get hurt too but they don’t have preseason games. Their games count from start to finish. 

51 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok but wouldn’t you say training camp count more than a preseason game? Like there is a training camp/practice to get the team better and ready for the regular season. Preseason is just a game to see those players in a live game against another team. It’s pointless if the coaches can evaluate their own players in camp. College players get hurt too but they don’t have preseason games. Their games count from start to finish. 

It's also why you typically see Major College Contenders lose during the first month of the season, when they shouldn't. In most cases taking them out of NCG contention. Same could and probably would occur in the NFL.

I never suggested Practices don't matter but this idea actual games doesn't either is rediculous. Especially with the limited practices as they are currently constructed. 

It's also why "joint practices" are so much more valuable then the norm of everyday team practices. Players get don't go full steam, know the others tendencies, get complacent. You can only evaluate so much in practice. Games are needed to properly construct the 53 man roster. 

Archived