Preseason Overreaction Thread

SmittyBacall

13 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think all 4 of the qbs should sit atleast half the season. Each team has capable starters, no need to rush them. As a fan I want them to start week 1 since they were all drafted in the top 10 but from a coaching stand point they should let them sit unless the veteran qb gets injured. Each team isn't in the position to be deep playoff contenders and arent a qb away from winning a superbowl. Why risk the progression of building them up rather then giving them time to adjust to the NFL level and learn from the Vets, then half way through the season get their feet wet by playing a few games and come next season be the starter we expect from them? Both Bills and Jets will have a ton of cap space to work with to build the offense up for their franchise qbs. 

I think all 4 should start when ready.  As soon as they 100% grasp the offense and can read protections so as to not get themselves killed they should be out there learning.  The sooner they can play the better off they are in 2019.  Don't follow the other 3 that closely but Mayfield looks like he is ready enough, and everything I read about Darnold says he is ready as well.  Rosen was supposed to be pro ready so I assume he is close too.  Not sure about Allen (he was the one they said was least ready but they said the same about Wentz too when he came out.  If they know the playbook and can understand protections then they should all be playing.  

As for Darnold gut says he starts week 1 and he should.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Steelers and Falcons are in big trouble, possibly headed towards losing seasons.

Haha, if we are overreacting to the preseason, the Titans, Falcons, Cowboys, and Seahawks are going to have a race to see which team can tie the Browns and Lions' 0-16 records!  Oh, and the Eagles offense won't score a single point!

Tim Williams will lead the NFL in sacks while Joe Flacco puts up a top 10 season and earns another goddamn contract extension making him the highest paid QB in NFL history (again) and once again plunging the Ravens into the abyss and cap hell.

Also, that LT for the Eagles becomes an All-Pro in his rookie year after never playing football before.

Preseason overreactions imo: Giants and Chiefs being good year one because of Barkley and Mahomes. Honerable mention: Browns being any better than a six win team at best. And lastly, people assuming the Eagles will be fine and win the NFC East again. Other overreactions:

-Jon Gruden is bad for the Raiders.

-Patriots dynasty is over; might miss playoffs. (I'm guitly of this one. I give it a year for them to contend and then after that it's anybodies guess.)

-Teams spending big money on players, (Donald/Mack/Rodgers/Cooks/Watkins/et cetera).

-The new rules will ruin the sport of football and render the NFL unwatchable due to poor officiating.

-Terrell Owens skipping the HOF ceremony.

23 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Also, that LT for the Eagles becomes an All-Pro in his rookie year after never playing football before.

Mailata wont be an All Pro this year. Peters is back 100% healthy.

But in all seriousness, you were only wrong about the time. Mailata IS going to be in All Pro LT. Im incredibly confident in this. Only in 2019 or 2020 though once he takes over for Peters and gets an entire year to learn. 

NFL people have been saying that there might not have ever been anyone who has come in and improved in football at their position like Mailata has in such a short time. 

People all around the league are like awe-struck by the kid. 

On 8/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, TheVillain112 said:

Hope so, just picked him up for my Fantasy team.  Curious with Meredith, Ginn, and Smith, do you think any of them will see a significant about of snaps/targets over the other?

I think Ginn is still the clear starter alongside Michael Thomas and Cam Meredith is getting opportunities ahead of Smith. Good sleeper pickup for later on. Viable fourth option for now at best, but with a high ceiling of being a weekly starter for a mild stretch of a few weeks.

22 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Preseason overreactions imo: Giants and Chiefs being good year one because of Barkley and Mahomes. Honerable mention: Browns being any better than a six win team at best. And lastly, people assuming the Eagles will be fine and win the NFC East again. Other overreactions:

-Jon Gruden is bad for the Raiders.

-Patriots dynasty is over; might miss playoffs. (I'm guitly of this one. I give it a year for them to contend and then after that it's anybodies guess.)

-Teams spending big money on players, (Donald/Mack/Rodgers/Cooks/Watkins/et cetera).

-The new rules will ruin the sport of football and render the NFL unwatchable due to poor officiating.

-Terrell Owens skipping the HOF ceremony.

I dont see how this is a preseason overreaction......

But a lot of people seem to think that the Eagles are going to struggle to win the NFCE from what Ive seen. Which is just short sighted and lazy thinking. 

The whole "not having a repeat winner in the division since our team in 03-04" argument is laughably stupid. The reason there hasnt been a repeat winner has a lot to do with the fact that no other NFCE has been truly dominant like we were last season or were in 03 and 04. Giants were closest in 2008 when they won like 12 games or w.e but they lost in the playoffs. And the two SB wins they had were not "dominant" years. They were fringe playoff teams that ended up getting hot in the postseason and winning the SB in incredibly flukey fashions (helmet catch cough). The Eagles were the best team in the NFL for all of the 2017 season and postseason. We lost one game that actually mattered when KC beat us in week 2. Oakland loss the week after losing Wentz/Foles' first start and a meaningless week 17 loss to Dallas where we had nothing to play for and were just trying to get reps for Foles are the other two. So given all that, kinda easy to see that the 2017 Eagles were better than any other team in the NFCE since 2004. 

The fact that there hasnt been a backtoback division champ this last 14 years or w.e. literally has no bearing on any teams chance to win the East. Not logically. Its a complete fluke of a stat and there isnt any real explanation for it.

Aside from NE, I dont see how anyone can argue that anyone besides the Eagles should be the heaviest favorite to win their division in the league. The NFC North, NFC South, AFC North, AFC South are all tougher divisions from top to bottom than the NFC East. 

On 8/13/2018 at 7:30 AM, ET80 said:

This is so underreaction. We've graduated from Civil War Capt. Andrew Luck to Studio 54 Andy Luck.

I think we'll have to move to Defcon 2.

I truly did not even realize who that was.  The Civil War has taken it's toll on Capt. Andrew Luck.  

20 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Mailata wont be an All Pro this year. Peters is back 100% healthy.

But in all seriousness, you were only wrong about the time. Mailata IS going to be in All Pro LT. Im incredibly confident in this. Only in 2019 or 2020 though once he takes over for Peters and gets an entire year to learn. 

NFL people have been saying that there might not have ever been anyone who has come in and improved in football at their position like Mailata has in such a short time. 

People all around the league are like awe-struck by the kid. 

Gonna be hard when Joe Noteboom has one of the All Pro OT spots locked down for the next decade. ;)

Archived