Will Teddy Bridgewater ever be a starting QB again?

SteelKing728

Pretty straight forward question, but it's worth asking. Since his first game back, it had been 711 days since Bridgewater took the field, playing meaningful snaps after suffered an injury so severe that some suspected that his career would be over. 

He came back on Thursday and was, as usual, "calm, cool and collected" as the Twitter heads say. He even took a hit after his first pass attempt and managed to get right back up without issue.

So...will Teddy start again someday, or will he have to find work as a backup QB?

He'll probably be the starter for the Jets at some point this year.

If for some reason he doesn't see the field this year he'll probably hunt for back up/a starter needy team next year like the *insert team with always crap QB situation"

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

There's a good chance he will be the Jets opening day starter lol, of course he will be. He's still got a ton of talent and mentally he's always had the ability and processing speed for the NFL game.

Nah, definitely not a good chance. More like a slim to none chance. McCown is the starter until he shows otherwise. And Darnold impressed this week it wouldn’t surprise me if they trotted him out with the ones next game.

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Nah, definitely not a good chance. More like a slim to none chance. McCown is the starter until he shows otherwise. And Darnold impressed this week it wouldn’t surprise me if they trotted him out with the ones next game.

McCown shouldn't even be playing at this point for his sake, dude's as brittle as glass. He's only around to collect a paycheck and because the Jets probably wanted him as a mentor.

6 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I feel like they should make Teddy the starter for at least a few games to open the season if only to potentially grab a trade from someone. Darnold isn't going to be irreparably harmed if he sits 4-6 games this season. If the Teddy hype is real, let him put it on display. Maybe a team's starting quarterback gets hurt, or maybe a potential playoff team's quarterback is really scuffling along and feels like a change is needed. There's no harm in trying to build and acquire value for him at the start of  the season in my opinion. But I also don't view the Jets as a legitimate playoff contender at this point, and maybe with Darnold they feel that they are (if he continues to play well in the preseason), so if that is the case, I suppose I could understand just starting out with Darnold from the get go. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel like they should make Teddy the starter for at least a few games to open the season if only to potentially grab a trade from someone. Darnold isn't going to be irreparably harmed if he sits 4-6 games this season. If the Teddy hype is real, let him put it on display. Maybe a team's starting quarterback gets hurt, or maybe a potential playoff team's quarterback is really scuffling along and feels like a change is needed. There's no harm in trying to build and acquire value for him at the start of  the season in my opinion. But I also don't view the Jets as a legitimate playoff contender at this point, and maybe with Darnold they feel that they are (if he continues to play well in the preseason), so if that is the case, I suppose I could understand just starting out with Darnold from the get go. 

If Todd Bowles and co. see what I see (prematurely) then they will start Darnold because he gives them the best opportunity to win now. The preseason is a great time to prop up assets and put good film out their for organizations to take a gander. The season though? They aren't going to be focused on making Bridgewater look good to fetch a semi-decent return as much as their looking to win games. From a macro/longterm fan perspective, it makes sense considering they aren't winning the Superbowl this year. But that's just not how coaches, GMs and players operate who are essentially always fighting for another year of employment.

Also, I don't think we should get carried away on the Bridgewater hype. He looked good; he looked like his old self. But teams aren't going to be gnawing at the bit to trade for his rights. This is a guy, granted coming off major injury, who received relatively little interest on the open market in a QB needy league. And trading for a QB, even in the middle of a season, because your starter went down to major injury doesn't seem likely or feasible. A free agent QB coming into a new system midseason won't save a potentially lost season. Also, are we 100% certain the Jets are keeping 3 quarterbacks?

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

If Todd Bowles and co. see what I see (prematurely) then they will start Darnold because he gives them the best opportunity to win now. The preseason is a great time to prop up assets and put good film out their for organizations to take a gander. The season though? They aren't going to be focused on making Bridgewater look good to fetch a semi-decent return as much as their looking to win games. From a macro/longterm fan perspective, it makes sense considering they aren't winning the Superbowl this year. But that's just not how coaches, GMs and players operate who are essentially always fighting for another year of employment.

Also, I don't think we should get carried away on the Bridgewater hype. He looked good; he looked like his old self. But teams aren't going to be gnawing at the bit to trade for his rights. This is a guy, granted coming off major injury, who received relatively little interest on the open market in a QB needy league. And trading for a QB, even in the middle of a season, because your starter went down to major injury doesn't seem likely or feasible. A free agent QB coming into a new system midseason won't save a potentially lost season. Also, are we 100% certain the Jets are keeping 3 quarterbacks?

I think your eyes are betraying you.

Archived