Bryce Harper injures leg - significant bone bruise, no ligament damage

Thelonebillsfan

18 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I do think if Harper/Boras are smart, they should favor AL teams in FA so that he can DH and play 1B. No reason to make him to much of anything defensively at this point.

Do you still feel this way, or has the new news/it being the other leg changed that?

I know it is a bit early to talk about meaningless games, but the Dodgers are in the driver's seat for home-field advantage, and the NL Central winner is not going to match the Nationals to take the #2 seed.  That being said, the game Friday was rained out with storms and downpours throughout the night, carrying into the morning and afternoon, and ultimately caused a three hour delay last night as well.  With all of that rain coming down, and a double-header the next day, I think Harper should have been on the bench that night.  I wouldn't have risked my star player last night with no long-term ramifications to battle for and being assured of the #2 seed right now.  

Now, if the Nats were fighting this out for the NL Central, or the AL Wild Card instead, Harper would be on the field for sure. 

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Do you still feel this way, or has the new news/it being the other leg changed that?

It depends on what kind of contract he wants. If his knee is fine, he'll be a good RF for a few years still with his arm. So if he takes the LeBron James approach and goes for a deal loaded with opt outs where he'll see free agency every few years, why not sign with the Cubs and play the field? (I'm assuming that's what you're getting at.)

But if he wants a 10-12 year deal, even if it's got 2 opt outs in it, the DH should be a factor.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It depends on what kind of contract he wants. If his knee is fine, he'll be a good RF for a few years still with his arm. So if he takes the LeBron James approach and goes for a deal loaded with opt outs where he'll see free agency every few years, why not sign with the Cubs and play the field? (I'm assuming that's what you're getting at.)

But if he wants a 10-12 year deal, even if it's got 2 opt outs in it, the DH should be a factor.

He should play for the Yankees, because they are the Yankees, and the short porch.

2 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

I see no reason as to why you let him see the field once for the rest of the season. They're definitely not losing that division and it's silly to rush him when by the time he's even 50% - September call-ups will happen.

Shut him down until the postseason.

Even Bryce Harper needs to get his timing down. The Cubs have the ammo to end a series quick assuming the Nats finish 2nd 

10 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Even Bryce Harper needs to get his timing down. The Cubs have the ammo to end a series quick assuming the Nats finish 2nd 

They could have him get his timing with simulated games against the pitching prospects the Nats want to send to the Arizona Fall League, then have him play in LF with enough off days to take it slow as the season winds down.

11 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They could have him get his timing with simulated games against the pitching prospects the Nats want to send to the Arizona Fall League, then have him play in LF with enough off days to take it slow as the season winds down.

No. Sorry but no. You can't get your timing in a simulated game.

Bryce can't play in LF because that's where Werth plays.

Harper will sit out until the very end of the season, play a few games, and then start in the playoffs. He'll struggle because that's what happens when you're hurt and you have a complicated swing like Bryce. Werth will naturally struggle and Dusty will insist on hitting Ryan Zimmerman in the cleanup spot, despite the fact that he's hitting .247/.300/.456 since he hurt his back in June. Rendon will stay in the 6 hole because of some reason Dusty comes up with that makes no sense. Max and Stephen sill combine for 8 innings pitched and the Nats will be drummed out in the NLDS again.

The Washington Capitals of Major League Baseball.

Archived