Is Aaron Rodgers the most talented QB of all time?

mdonnelly21

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aaron Rodgers the most talented QB of all time?

No. Talent is entirely subjective and no one is "the most talented" at something. 

You can be the best at something, but you can't be the "most talented' I.E like saying Josh Gordon is more talented than Julio Jones, how can you prove it?

Most talented? Yes. There may have been other QB's who have the upper hand in terms of certain individual abilities, but none have had a wider range of abilities in their repertoire as Rodgers does. 

This in large part due to his mobility, his pocket awareness and his incredible - sometimes even CGI-esque - ability to escape a sack. So even in those specific categories where he may fall short at compared to others, the margin isn't great enough to disqualify him from this discussion, IMO. 

22 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

No. Talent is entirely subjective and no one is "the most talented" at something. 

You can be the best at something, but you can't be the "most talented' I.E like saying Josh Gordon is more talented than Julio Jones, how can you prove it?

Think of it like this. Was usain Bolt not the fastest runner in world? Was Phelps not the best swimmer in the world?(save for the inevitable)  

That means they were the most talented people in the world at their respective professions.   

45 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

A lot of people think Tom Brady or Montana is the GOAT QB. 

But A-rod is more talented than both 

"Talent" at the QB position also has to include the ability to read a defense and make quick decisions.  If not well Cam Newton is more talented than Rodgers.  To that end, I've noticed Rodgers has gone down just a tad from his 'peak' when he won the SB.  At that time, I would agree that Rodgers was the most talented QB I've ever seen.  Now, I would say it's Brady...

18 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Mike Vick was the most physically talented QB ever.  Rodgers is the most complete QB.  I’d give him the edge over Young b/c he did it longer.

Isn't doing it longer completely irrelevant to how talented you are? 

Are Gale Sayers and TD somehow less talented because they only did it for a few years?

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Most talented? Yes. There may have been other QB's who have the upper hand in terms of certain individual abilities, but none have had a wider range of abilities in their repertoire as Rodgers does. 

This in large part due to his mobility, his pocket awareness and his incredible - sometimes even CGI-esque - ability to escape a sack. So even in those specific categories where he may fall short at compared to others, the margin isn't great enough to disqualify him from this discussion, IMO. 

You just described Steve young too, fwiw. Young was also crazy accurate similar to Rodgers. The latter may have had the more powerful arm though. Not sure. I'd say yes, but the memory gets hazy.

Marino had crazy arm and you'd be shocked by seldom he was sacked. Was it his mobility? Probably not, but that release isn't something Rodgers has either, so some of that had to cancel out

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Isn't doing it longer completely irrelevant to how talented you are? 

Are Gale Sayers and TD somehow less talented because they only did it for a few years?

So where are we drawing the line?  I could take Dante Culpepper in his MVP year and call him the most talented.  

I do think Young and Rodgers are 1-2 and I’d give AR the advantage based on arm talent. 

22 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

So where are we drawing the line?  I could take Dante Culpepper in his MVP year and call him the most talented.  

I do think Young and Rodgers are 1-2 and I’d give AR the advantage based on arm talent. 

I think that was @SwoleXmads point. Talent isn't something that is tangible and it can be quantified. About all we can really use is the eye test,  and even that can betray us because how do your compare and contrast to guys like Marino and Rodgers when the leagues they played in are completely different. How do situations impact what we see? Was Archie Manning more talented than he was able to show because he played for three Aints and we just never saw it? Was Barry or AP the more talented running back? I don't know how you truly quantify the differences when the margins get so thin. Even using your example of Culpepper - how do we know that wasn't his actual talent level? We can't really, because there's no way to quantify it. Perhaps his talent level really was that and for whatever reason, it simply wasn't able to manifest itself in later seasons in the way it did that year. Yes, that's a bit extreme, but again, I think that goes back to Swole's initial point in that there's really no way for us to definitively know one way or the other. 

But fwiw, I'd agree and have Rodgers, young and some others in that top tier lol

Archived