Is Aaron Rodgers the most talented QB of all time?

mdonnelly21

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aaron Rodgers the most talented QB of all time?

9 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

A lot of people think Tom Brady or Montana is the GOAT QB. 

But A-rod is more talented than both 

EDIT: When I say talent, I'm also including skill/ability and impact.

This includes everything that you want in a QB. 

Rodgers is right up there, but talent isn't everything you need in the QB position. The other thing I like about Rodgers is his leadership and intelligence, we've seen other talented QBs over the years have problems in this area.

He's the total package. Not the greatest arm ever but he's close. Then he can run and thrown on the run with any QB I've ever seen. He's got a little luck in him too when he needs it. Add all that to his football IQ and you've got a perfect QB.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If Michael Vick isn't the most talented QB ever, who would be?

Vick is probably the answer, but maybe someone like Cam Newton would be up there.  Newton obviously doesn't have the speed or agility of Vick, but he's built like a tank while being incredibly mobile.

22 hours ago, Forge said:

You just described Steve young too, fwiw. Young was also crazy accurate similar to Rodgers. The latter may have had the more powerful arm though. Not sure. I'd say yes, but the memory gets hazy.

Marino had crazy arm and you'd be shocked by seldom he was sacked. Was it his mobility? Probably not, but that release isn't something Rodgers has either, so some of that had to cancel out

I was describing Young too, absolutely! And I would agree with all of those same points (although arm power isn't just how far a QB can throw but that's neither here nor there so it's tough to say). However, IMO, Rodgers also had slightly better footwork on the inside of the pocket and possibly a little better on the outside as well. And he also better at avoiding the rush as well. IMO, it's between Rodgers and Young. 

That being said, the only reason I left him off of this was because I didn't want to start another debate about how it's impossible to compare players from different era's (mainly because I feel like the majority of members here were not even born yet). Which I almost always tend to point out in these types of discussions and that was my first reaction as soon as I saw the thread. But I didn't wanna go down that rabbit hole again so I just stuck with the more recent.

I say that to say this (and here I go, I'm gonna do it again). You can try and compare Rodgers to Young all day long by breaking down each of their individual skill sets and weaknesses, as you I have a little bit here, but the one thing that cannot be quantified fairly is how much the game has changed since then and how much easier it is on QB's nowadays vs the past. So for me personally, if I were to have placed that factor into my opinion, I would have probably still have went with Rodgers in the end but I would've also not had a problem with anyone who picked Young either. IMO, it's that close. 

This is like the Montana vs Brady debate all over again. Montana, to me, as someone who watched him is still GOAT and majority of my opinion stems from the same said reasons above. But again, I just simply chose to try to stray away from that conversation altogether.

I'm admittedly biased but watching Aaron Rodgers on a weekly basis is something I'll always remember and I feel privileged that I get that chance. He makes the most difficult plays look routine and, despite his ignorance of taking sacks over throwing the ball away, you can live with it because of what it allows him to do. The combination of skills and mental acumen that he possesses is truly special and arguably makes him the most talented QB ever. There IS a difference between most talented and most accomplished. They aren't one in the same.

Archived