The worst Qb Ranking list I’ve ever seen!

turtle28

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Just out of interest; people seem to penalise players that were injured most of the season in their player rankings (for example Watt is no longer considered the best defender, Wentz has been downgraded in a lot of these because coming off ACL tear). Never seems to upset Rodgers' position on these lists. Why not? 

Wentz is a heck of a lot higher on these lists than he was at this time last year so even with an injury he jumped up the list considerably.

22 hours ago, Danger said:

I mean based off last season and how I expect this season to go, (recent trends) I have Russel Wilson above Brees by a slim margin.

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russel Wilson
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Matt Ryan
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Carson Wentz
9. Philip Rivers
10. Andrew Luck (Could definitely rise or fall depending on how this season goes)
HM: Jared Goff

And that's fair, but he's still easily a top 5 QB

Its like that poop stain, Rosenthal, on NFLN being a click bait ninja with hot takes like ranking Vince Ferragamo ahead of Nick Foles.

People like Bucky Brooks and Chris Simms are worthless. They are "experts" who were complete failures on the field.

Passer Rating for 2016 and 2017 combined:

• Brees 102.7
  • Bortles 81.5
  • Newton 78.2

As it stands right now Tom Brady was the best QB who wasn't the MVP in 2015 (Cam) and 2016 (Ryan) and was the MVP in 2017. There's also a pretty decent argument that in 2014 he was top 3 with only the MVP (Rodgers) and possibly Romo ahead of him. At this point he pretty much deserves to be number 1 on these lists until he gives a reason not to be. After that it should be Rodgers. You can make a case that a poor 2015 that bled over into early 2016 (until he ran the table) and missing most of 2017 is a decent reason to not give him the next spot but I think it's generally agreed that he did a lot to take his team as far as it is. That and realistically nobody else is a great argument against him besides Brady and Brees. 

The 3rd and 4th slot really should go to Wilson and Brees in some order. Brees has incredible volume and Wilson has incredible efficiency. It really depends if you want to give Brees the nod for putting up with historically awful defenses and his team not being a complete dumpster fire or give Russell credit for a Super Bowl win and appearance and generally being more competitive.  

The 5th/6th/7th/8th spot probably should go to Ben/Rivers/Cam/Ryan in some order. Cam has consistency issues but was amazing in 2015, Ryan is consistent but never elite however he had a great 2016 that made him MVP. Ben is still great but has had some injury issues and off games. And Rivers is Rivers consistent but overlooked, There's a fair enough debate to go in any direction with either of these guys, but I think you need to acknowledge them in the next few spots. 

9th and 10th. Here's where I'm willing to give Wentz a spot. Great year last year, but he's a young QB, he's had injury problems, and there's no gaurantee last year is a consistent thing. However in good faith give him a spot in the top 10. He can move up if he can prove it's a consistent thing and not an early couple of years abberation........ and fine Stafford can be one of those last two spots.... fine....

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Its like that poop stain, Rosenthal, on NFLN being a click bait ninja with hot takes like ranking Vince Ferragamo ahead of Nick Foles.

People like Bucky Brooks and Chris Simms are worthless. They are "experts" who were complete failures on the field.

Passer Rating for 2016 and 2017 combined:

• Brees 102.7
  • Bortles 81.5
  • Newton 78.2

Interestingly, the "overrated" Matt Ryan's passer rating for 2016 and 2017 combined is 104.3. 

Just an FYI...  :D 

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

As it stands right now Tom Brady was the best QB who wasn't the MVP in 2015 (Cam) and 2016 (Ryan) and was the MVP in 2017. There's also a pretty decent argument that in 2014 he was top 3 with only the MVP (Rodgers) and possibly Romo ahead of him. At this point he pretty much deserves to be number 1 on these lists until he gives a reason not to be. After that it should be Rodgers. You can make a case that a poor 2015 that bled over into early 2016 (until he ran the table) and missing most of 2017 is a decent reason to not give him the next spot but I think it's generally agreed that he did a lot to take his team as far as it is. That and realistically nobody else is a great argument against him besides Brady and Brees. 

The 3rd and 4th slot really should go to Wilson and Brees in some order. Brees has incredible volume and Wilson has incredible efficiency. It really depends if you want to give Brees the nod for putting up with historically awful defenses and his team not being a complete dumpster fire or give Russell credit for a Super Bowl win and appearance and generally being more competitive.  

The 5th/6th/7th/8th spot probably should go to Ben/Rivers/Cam/Ryan in some order. Cam has consistency issues but was amazing in 2015, Ryan is consistent but never elite however he had a great 2016 that made him MVP. Ben is still great but has had some injury issues and off games. And Rivers is Rivers consistent but overlooked, There's a fair enough debate to go in any direction with either of these guys, but I think you need to acknowledge them in the next few spots. 

9th and 10th. Here's where I'm willing to give Wentz a spot. Great year last year, but he's a young QB, he's had injury problems, and there's no gaurantee last year is a consistent thing. However in good faith give him a spot in the top 10. He can move up if he can prove it's a consistent thing and not an early couple of years abberation........ and fine Stafford can be one of those last two spots.... fine....

I generally agree with your overall assessment (though I don't rate Russell Wilson quite as highly).  What did you think of my list?

1 - Tom Brady

2 - Aaron Rodgers

3 - Drew Brees

4 - Ben Roethlisberger

5 - Russell Wilson

6 - Matt Ryan

7 - Andrew Luck (if healthy)

8 - Philip Rivers

9 - Matthew Stafford

10 - Carson Wentz

11 - Cam Newton

12 - Jared Goff

13 - Kirk Cousins

14 - Alex Smith

15 - Derek Carr

16 - Deshaun Watson

17 - Jimmy Garappolo

18 - Eli Manning

19 - Sam Bradford (if healthy)

20 - Dak Prescott

21- Marcus Mariota

22 - Joe Flacco

23 - Tyrod Taylor

24 - Case Keenum

25 - Mitch Trubisky

26 - Andy Dalton

27 - Blake Bortles

28 - Ryan Tannehill

29 - Jameis Winston

30 - Pat Mahomes

31 - Sam Darnold

32 - Josh Allen

1 hour ago, megatechpc said:

I generally agree with your overall assessment (though I don't rate Russell Wilson quite as highly).  What did you think of my list?

I think it’s really good. Only critique is I’d probably move Luck down to around Carr’s spot.

19 hours ago, iknowcool said:

The situations aren’t comparable whatsoever.

Watt: Nobody really started questioning his ranking until he missed a 2nd consecutive season.  Rodgers by comparison only missed about half.

Wentz: Wentz only has about 3/4ths worth of MVP play.  Rodgers has a baller for almost a decade now. 

Now if Rodgers had missed 2 straight seasons or was a 24 year old with a limited body of work, he probably would have his elite status question but alas.  He only missed about half, more or less.

Forget the specific comparisons, you could plug any injured player in, and it affects their position on these ranking. Apart from Rodgers. Rodgers has missed plenty of time, as far as I recall, missed the majority of two seasons, including the previous one. Always ranked either 1 or 2 though. Just wondered why.

18 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Wentz is a heck of a lot higher on these lists than he was at this time last year so even with an injury he jumped up the list considerably.

Well Wentz before his injury was being ranked in top 3-5. Deservedly so. His injury has seen him slide down these lists, which is my point.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Forget the specific comparisons, you could plug any injured player in, and it affects their position on these ranking. 

Such as? 

And you can’t just ignore context.  You know that.  If AB missed half a season, he’d still be ranked #1 (or #2 if you prefer Julio).  Same with Donald.  These are proven dominant players with years of body of work.  

And the last season I remember Rodgers missing time in was 2013 (whatever it was when they played the 49ers first), but he returned to help the Packers win the division in the last week.  So he’s only missed time in 2 seasons and returned to make playoffs in 1.  I’m not sure why you think his ranking should be affected or how it’s a double standard.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:40 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Just out of interest; people seem to penalise players that were injured most of the season in their player rankings (for example Watt is no longer considered the best defender, Wentz has been downgraded in a lot of these because coming off ACL tear). Never seems to upset Rodgers' position on these lists. Why not? 

Personally, I don’t penalize players for injuries unless I think the injuries are A) a sign of things to come/old age, or B) going to hamper them in the near future. 

I don’t have Wentz quite as high as some (top 3/4) because he has shown me his high level of play for less than a season’s worth of games - nothing to do with injuries.

With Watt, he’s an older guy who has now had back and knee surgeries, playing a high contact position. We need to see him get back before we crown him again. It’s been a couple seasons now. 

Same with Luck, it’s been a couple seasons. 

Rodgers didn’t miss two season’s worth of football. He’s always been a little more fragile than you’d like your QB to be, but he’s an immensely talented QB so you make that trade. But his injury shouldn’t hamper him and it shouldn’t be an issue for 2018, unlike some of the other players.

1. Aaron Rodgers 

2. Tom Brady

3. Russell Wilson

4. Drew Brees

5. Carson Wentz

6. Matt Ryan

7. Big Ben

8. Philip Rivers

9. Matt Stafford

I feel like 10-17 are all very close and you can interchange all of them. This year will decide a lot. Some names worth mentioning are Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Cam Newton, Alex Smith, and Kirk Cousins. 

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

1. Aaron Rodgers 

2. Tom Brady

3. Russell Wilson

4. Drew Brees

5. Carson Wentz

6. Matt Ryan

7. Big Ben

8. Philip Rivers

9. Matt Stafford

I feel like 10-17 are all very close and you can interchange all of them. This year will decide a lot. Some names worth mentioning are Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Cam Newton, Alex Smith, and Kirk Cousins. 

I think Carson Wentz is probably the young QB with the most potential to be great of any of the other young QB's out there but there's no way I can personally rank him higher than any of the established top-10 QB's in the league, especially coming off a significant injury.  He's only ever played one full season after all, and even last year his stats were a bit overrated compared to an established QB like Ryan, who's 2016 MVP year absolutely dwarfed Wentz's pace last year before he got hurt (5k yards compared to 3300 for Wentz, 70% completion percentage vs 60%, 9.3 YPA vs 7.5 YPA, and Wentz's best stat was his TD's at 33 but still falls short of Ryan's 38 while both QBs threw only 7 INTs, albeit in only 13 games for Wentz).  I am not trying to downplay Wentz in any way as I definitely believe he will continue to improve and establish himself as a top-5 QB eventually, but as of right now, with only 29 games played under his belt, I think its just too soon to rank him (or any of the other second or third year QBs) above established vets like Ryan, Big Ben, Rivers, and Stafford just because they have all done it long enough to prove their consistency of play and Wentz is still more potential than established at this point.

Archived