Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to the Nugs fan. This series oddly reminds me so much of the Broncos’ SB against Seattle. The signs were there but nothing can prepare you for how bad the *** kicking can be from a totally locked in elite defense. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sorry to the Nugs fan. This series oddly reminds me so much of the Broncos’ SB against Seattle. The signs were there but nothing can prepare you for how bad the *** kicking can be from a totally locked in elite defense. 

I think in isolation, it's a really good comparison. Definitely has the, "men vs boys" feel to it. I do think there are differences, in that the Nuggets are defending Champs and just don't have the dawg that a team who want their first have.

That was always going to be the challenge for Malone - "heavy is the head that wears the crown". They've come against a hungry, aggressive team that they just can't live with. Jamal's injury is a big factor, sure. This team know they can't compete without a healthy Jamal Murray and the quit in them shows it.

But the Wolves are just a bad matchup for Denver with their size and aggression. It's proven to be a year too soon for Denver's young bench, or if you are a pessimist, Calvin Booth has been caught out with the lack of talent he's made available.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think in isolation, it's a really good comparison. Definitely has the, "men vs boys" feel to it. I do think there are differences, in that the Nuggets are defending Champs and just don't have the dawg that a team who want their first have.

That was always going to be the challenge for Malone - "heavy is the head that wears the crown". They've come against a hungry, aggressive team that they just can't live with. Jamal's injury is a big factor, sure. This team know they can't compete without a healthy Jamal Murray and the quit in them shows it.

But the Wolves are just a bad matchup for Denver with their size and aggression. It's proven to be a year too soon for Denver's young bench, or if you are a pessimist, Calvin Booth has been caught out with the lack of talent he's made available.

Yeah it was always going to be tough to bridge losing Brown and Green (fans hated Jeff but his size at the backup 4 was an asset in a series like this) and the young guys getting up to speed. It is disappointing to see Christian Braun still look like a deer in the headlights every time he gets the ball. He’s played enough, it just can’t look that bad. And it feels like Reggie’s run as a starter in December cooked whatever juice he had left right out of him. 

A lot of this is just the best defense I’ve seen this century. That’s how good the Wolves are imo and they are hungry and want every bit of it.

This is where I gotta hammer Jokic. I personally think it’s the worst performance I’ve seen from the best player in the league in a big moment since LeBron’s meltdown against Dallas. The physicality is bothering him and he’s just not competing. Defense been non-existent where it was very good last year. I don’t want to say he quit, but he was not in this game even a little bit. They punched, he wilted. Brutal that he gets his well-deserved MVP on the heels of that game. Nuggets fans, I’d stay off socials this week. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Saw former legendary Broncos DC Joe Collier has passed away at 91yo. He was a genius, creator of the famous Orange Crush. 

RIP Joe. 

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 4

On 5/8/2024 at 9:22 PM, Cutler06 said:

Saw former legendary Broncos DC Joe Collier has passed away at 91yo. He was a genius, creator of the famous Orange Crush. 

RIP Joe. 

In all honesty - the death of Joe Collier probably deserves a thread of its own to celebrate what he achieved as one of the most innovative and consistently excellent defensive coordinators ever to grace the NFL, the vast majority of that time with the Broncos. The guy was a genius and it was his incredible defence in Denver that caused me to become a Broncos fan nearly 40 years ago.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2024 at 11:19 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, safe to say the Nuggets found that "dawg", anyway.

Jokic is in the upper echelon of athletes when it comes to the number of times you've said, "I just don't even know what to say at this point". That 3rd quarter was obscene. A crime against humanity. A legacy ruining moment for a 4 time DPOY. 

An unstoppable machine.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, safe to say the Nuggets found that "dawg", anyway.

Jokic is in the upper echelon of athletes when it comes to the number of times you've said, "I just don't even know what to say at this point". That 3rd quarter was obscene. A crime against humanity. A legacy ruining moment for a 4 time DPOY. 

An unstoppable machine.

I loved Edwards comments at the end of the game. "

“I just laugh. That's all I can do," Edwards said of watching Jokic go off for 16 points and assist on four other baskets in the third quarter when the Nuggets seized control for yet another rout.

“I can’t be mad,” Edwards said. "He’s good, man. I think I said that after Game 1 when we won, and Game 2, he’s the MVP. He’s the best player in NBA. He showed it the last three games, three games in a row. He was special tonight. I’ve got to give him his flowers. He was that guy tonight.”

• Like 2

This week is a pretty good reminder that “best player in the world surrounded by enough talent” has always been a formula for winning multiple NBA championships. No scheme or coaching or mentality or depth or any other number of factors compares to just having That Guy when he wants it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

This week is a pretty good reminder that “best player in the world surrounded by enough talent” has always been a formula for winning multiple NBA championships. No scheme or coaching or mentality or depth or any other number of factors compares to just having That Guy when he wants it. 

Which is why the NBA has always been last amoung the big 4 for me. Don’t get me wrong. I’m enjoying it right now since my favorite team has “the one” but on a year to year basis? Give me the NHL or NFL. (Baseball holds a special place in my heart despite the fact the Monforts don’t care about winning. Nothing beats having baseball on in the background while I do yard work…..or take a nap lol)

• Like 1

I'm with Josh, NBA has been (since Jordan retired) 4th on the list of the "big 4" for me. I've been watching the Nuggets a lot because, yeah, they're my home team and they play a brand of basketball I like, one that is quite different from the modern NBA. 

I've been thinking about this. I don't follow NBA media, it's more of a turnoff for me than the sport itself, it seems to be all about the soap opera drama. I was at a bar one time and they had on ESPN's insipid NBA daily show and, while it wasn't on the sound, the chyron read "Should Lebron respond to Durant's Tweets?" I mean, seriously? 

So it got me thinking. I follow the business of sports media closely, even if I cannot stand all the screaming debate shows and don't watch them. But I've read and heard all over the place that the TNT NBA Show, Inside the NBA, is the gold standard of studio shows. I've watched it or at least had it on in the background over the last few years while the Nuggets have been relevant and I have to say, I don't get the hype. I mean Barkley is a buffoon, Shaq is unintelligible most of the time, I just don't see what the hype is. Ernie Johnson is a pro I get that but I read and hear people talk about that show it's like amazing display of insight and commentary and entertainment. I don't get it. I mean it's better than the garbage ESPN and FS1 put out, I'll acknowledge that, but I don't understand the appeal beyond being better than that crap. 

Sorry, but IMO anyone who put MLB or Futball ahead of NBA is really missing it. Now I do hate NBA players and their antics plus the officiating, seems more "regulated" than ANY other sport but the action is always fast, the playoffs intense, what's not to like ?? 

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Sorry, but IMO anyone who put MLB or Futball ahead of NBA is really missing it. Now I do hate NBA players and their antics plus the officiating, seems more "regulated" than ANY other sport but the action is always fast, the playoffs intense, what's not to like ?? 

Exactly what you said. Most of the players are unlikable, the officials have too much say and it’s recognized that most stars (not joker) get special treatment. It’s the closest thing to fixed/WWE in pro sports.  Especially the big 3/let’s team up instead of competing era where players were just dictating which teams would be good in a given seasons really regardless of coaching or development? Give me football or hockey every day. Give me college BBall every March. 

• Like 1