Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

15 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That honestly might be the worst loss in Denver sports history. Stunning. 

1996 Broncos loss to Jacksonville at home was worse.

The NBA wants to anoint Anthony Edwards as the next face of the league, not saying it was “fixed” but the NBA got what they wanted. Despicable performance by the Nuggets, however.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

That honestly might be the worst loss in Denver sports history. Stunning. 

Minnesota was in a tough spot early in the 3rd. They were down by 20, and getting murdered on the boards. So they made a desperation move and bet the entire game on our 3 point shooting. Stacked 3 guys in the paint and gifted us a dozen wide open 3s. And we bricked every god damn one of them. 8 for 33.. If Denver even hits 36% from downtown tonight, they win the series. 

Jokic is always gonna be Jokic. Where this team really lives and dies is with Murray and MPJ. When those two are on, no one can beat this team. But the truth is that Murray’s inability to stay healthy (he’s played in 59 games or more in a season exactly one time in the last 5 years) coupled with MPJ’s inexplicable tendency to go ice cold mid postseason has cost the Nuggets far more championships than it’s ever won them.

I won’t be shocked if the Nuggets make some big boy moves this offseason. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Minnesota was in a tough spot early in the 3rd. They were down by 20, and getting murdered on the boards. So they made a desperation move and bet the entire game on our 3 point shooting. Stacked 3 guys in the paint and gifted us a dozen wide open 3s. And we bricked every god damn one of them. 8 for 33.. If Denver even hits 36% from downtown tonight, they win the series. 

Jokic is always gonna be Jokic. Where this team really lives and dies is with Murray and MPJ. When those two are on, no one can beat this team. But the truth is that Murray’s inability to stay healthy (he’s played in 59 games or more in a season exactly one time in the last 5 years) coupled with MPJ’s inexplicable tendency to go ice cold mid postseason has cost the Nuggets far more championships than it’s ever won them.

I won’t be shocked if the Nuggets make some big boy moves this offseason. 

Typically a byproduct of that defensive approach is you have to live with some fouls. Clogging up the middle like that means you will naturally send some guys to line. But that didn’t happen tonight. Refs swallowed their whistles. At one end of the court at least. 30-16 FT advantage for the Pups. Given the chosen defensive strategies should have been the other way. At the very least even. NBA got what they wanted. 

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Typically a byproduct of that defensive approach is you have to live with some fouls. Clogging up the middle like that means you will naturally send some guys to line. But that didn’t happen tonight. Refs swallowed their whistles. At one end of the court at least. 30-16 FT advantage for the Pups. Given the chosen defensive strategies should have been the other way. At the very least even. NBA got what they wanted. 

Nope, they definitely let Minnesota get away with some Hardcastle and McCormick rules lol. Denver should have had at least 6-8 more points at the line. But even with that, it still doesn’t let them off the hook for missing a dozen wide open 3s in that second half. 

MPJ gets paid $35 million per year to do 2 things, and really only two things: grab some sneaky rebounds, and shoot 40% from behind the arc. His primary function is give Murray and Jokic the spacing they need to run their 2 man pick and roll. So when teams sell the farm to clog up the lanes, it’s his job to make them pay for it. And he flat out no showed this series. The real question will be how the front office chooses to address this. They may run it back and try to build a stronger bench. Or they could make a splash trade. Gonna be an interesting offseason. 

• Like 2

I thought the Nugs got a bad whistle early for sure. It wasn’t a surprise to see them get in foul trouble in the second half because they were exhausted, constantly late to spots and reaching. Even in the playoffs those are going to get called more often than a physical team playing with energy. 

That 3rd quarter was hard to watch as the Nuggs completely went away from their main way of playing (pass up a good shot for a better one). To my count in the entire quarter, they TOOK 6 shots under 10 ft and the rest were long jumpers or 3s. There wasn't team basketball in that. Also for much of the second half, they didn't run through Joker, granted Minny doubled him everytime.

Nuggets could really benefit from a real point guard who knows how to manage tempo. Even if it was someone like CP3, who's 100 year old now, would do wonders for this team. I continuously see Murray sabotage the momentum by trying to rush too much and take quick threes, which lead to long rebounds and fast break for the other team. His handle is just not elite enough to try to do that anyway, as seen by being picked off repeatedly by Conley...we lost most of the games he played btw. 

Honestly, I think the jacking up of so many 3's was as much about the Nuggets running out of steam as it was anything defensive from Minnesota. Denver have seen it so often with away teams playing at Ball Arena late in games, where they just get tired and don't have the legs to drive to the rim.

I just think the Wolves are a good team that was built to stop the Nuggets and it worked. I tip my cap to them. It's a gutting loss, and it's another year away from the Jokic window. But that's sports. No shame in a 7 game loss to that team.

Also - let Ant talk his talk. He talked the talk, walked the walk (well, kind of). More power to him. I like personalities in the sport.

• Like 2

I'm not from Denver so not necessarily tied to all the franchises in the area but I love both those teams (Nuggets and Wolves). I think the biggest pitfall of that game for the Nuggets was Malone not getting Jokic any rest in the third quarter. I get the Wolves were making a run but you're up by 20, you don't need to hold a 20 point lead you need to finish the game up 1. It was so obvious how gassed the whole nuggets team was in the 4th quarter and they didn't have to be. 

Just thought I'd mention Jim Otto died on the 19th.  Without a doubt the best center I've ever seen. An absolute Iron Man at the position. Didn't miss one game in his 15 year HOF career.

The lineup with with Gene Upshaw at LG and Art Shell at LT was probably the best Center left side OL to ever play the game. You'd hate to see them come to town but had to admire what they did on the field. They were devastating. 

Anyway, one of the all time greats. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 7:44 PM, Cutler06 said:

Sorry, but IMO anyone who put MLB or Futball ahead of NBA is really missing it. Now I do hate NBA players and their antics plus the officiating, seems more "regulated" than ANY other sport but the action is always fast, the playoffs intense, what's not to like ?? 

It's all personal taste, at the end of the day. I think "what's not to like" when talking about the NBA is being slightly oblivious to issues with the NBA, many of which have been touched on above.

Personally, I HATE the constant screaming by players at every bit of contact, then the whining at officials that happens for the next 20 seconds. Basically all of the league's big stars are the worst people for it. Giannis, Ant, Luka, Lebron, Embiid, Tatum, and yes even our boy (certainly the whining part) are all terrible for it.

It was before my time, but the 80's and 90's NBA would've been perfect for my taste.

Oh, and there is one very clear thing that Soccer has over all North American sports - commercials. My god, sport is unwatchable at times because of how many stoppages there are just for the sake of advertisements.

There would be revolts here in England if they ever tried that in the Premier League. I genuinely think fans would storm the pitch and stop the game if they had to sit and wait for the game to restart because commercials were showing.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 5

On 6/11/2024 at 8:35 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Personally, I HATE the constant screaming by players at every bit of contact, then the whining at officials that happens for the next 20 seconds. Basically all of the league's big stars are the worst people for it. Giannis, Ant, Luka, Lebron, Embiid, Tatum, and yes even our boy (certainly the whining part) are all terrible for it.

Like, what is this ****? Really? You are going to pull that in the NBA finals? It just makes for an awful product.

• Like 2