Why are people sleeping on the RAIDERS this year?

VanS

2 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

The majority of people think that Gruden has been a disaster so far....I don’t get it. Yes he signed an older Jordy Nelson, had New England got him everyone would be hyping it up. Yes he’s also signed other vets but Gruden won with veteran teams in Oakland (1st stint) and Tampa Bay before so I get his thinking about having a solid vet in every position room. 

The Khalil Mack situation is also a little overblown. I doubt he gets traded but it’s possbile and even if he does they will recover from it. As someone else said unless you lose your QB (assuming he’s good to great) it’s not as big of a deal as some make it. Yes you don’t wanna lose an elite pass rusher, but it’s not an end all for a season 

Carr might be overrated but we will know for sure in the next 2 years, I will give him 1 year under Gruden to work the kinks out but if he doesn’t show improvement after year 2 with Gruden then I think it’s cause for concern. Their division is wide open (according to most) so I don’t see why anyone should be overly surprised if they win it.

Im not a Raiders fan but this whole Gruden has been out of the league for 10 years and he won’t be able to catch up is a little amusing to me, it’s not like he was completely away from the game working in a different industry/sport. He’s a hardass off camera but I think his players will buy into him since he’s proven. Time will tell of course

I mean Nelson was good because he had Rodgers throwing to him. Going from Rodgers to Brady is pretty much a lateral move, going from Rodgers to Carr isn't so much the case.

Also the Patriots have won 5 and gone to 8 Super Bowls since 2001. The Raiders have not won a playoff game since 2002 and have had one winning season since losing SB 37. The Raiders have done nothing to show that they know what they are doing as an organization to earn the benefit of the doubt over signings that people find questionable. A team that has been the model organization in the NFL for almost the past two decades is going to get that benefit of the doubt because they've proven that they know what they are doing.

Those rookies the Raiders drafted look real frekin good. I think in a year or 2 from now we'll look back on this draft and say the Raiders had the best of this class. That DL has the potential to be real nasty.

10 minutes ago, What? said:

Those rookies the Raiders drafted look real frekin good. I think in a year or 2 from now we'll look back on this draft and say the Raiders had the best of this class. That DL has the potential to be real nasty.

agree

could have the best top to tail class this whole draft 

8 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

The majority of people think that Gruden has been a disaster so far....I don’t get it. Yes he signed an older Jordy Nelson, had New England got him everyone would be hyping it up. Yes he’s also signed other vets but Gruden won with veteran teams in Oakland (1st stint) and Tampa Bay before so I get his thinking about having a solid vet in every position room. 

The Khalil Mack situation is also a little overblown. I doubt he gets traded but it’s possbile and even if he does they will recover from it. As someone else said unless you lose your QB (assuming he’s good to great) it’s not as big of a deal as some make it. Yes you don’t wanna lose an elite pass rusher, but it’s not an end all for a season 

Carr might be overrated but we will know for sure in the next 2 years, I will give him 1 year under Gruden to work the kinks out but if he doesn’t show improvement after year 2 with Gruden then I think it’s cause for concern. Their division is wide open (according to most) so I don’t see why anyone should be overly surprised if they win it.

Im not a Raiders fan but this whole Gruden has been out of the league for 10 years and he won’t be able to catch up is a little amusing to me, it’s not like he was completely away from the game working in a different industry/sport. He’s a hardass off camera but I think his players will buy into him since he’s proven. Time will tell of course

Thank you for the most rational post in this thread. It's easy to laugh at Gruden for his preference for veteran players. Bbut you're 100% correct. Nelson goes to NE for example, it's a completely different take.

The Mack situation is COMPLETELY overblow, why.... because it's the Raiders and people want to see dysfunction. Donald is holding out a second straight year, Earl Thomas is holding out. Hardly hear anything.... But Mack, he's being traded. The Raiders are disrespecting him, etc. is all you see. Like Donald he's on a 5th year option. Will get 13.8 million for this season so the Raiders have no reason to negotiate until after this season. 

Carr has changed OC's every year he's been in the league. He'll be married to Gruden now which can't hurt. How people can ignore what he did in 2017 is a mystery. He single handedly brought the team back in multiple games and overcame a very poor defense each week. 

On Gruden, he's so well connected in this game. To think he's not sharpening his axe with guys like Reid, Shanahan, McVey who he is close with is misguided. He knows offenses and how to put players in position to succeed. Time will tell 

6 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Basically nobody on this board is allowed to predict anything but 12-4 for the Raiders and an MVP for Carr.  That's the way it seems...

Welcome to the general forum. 

As a Raider fan, I have the Raiders as an 8-8 team this season. There is genuine concern at both tackle spots. They are basically fast tracking rookie Kolton Miller at LT and he's going to struggle in a division of elite pass rushers. Donald Penn is coming off injury, moving to the RT spot after 13 years as a LT. This is a recipe for disaster.

The defense will be improved.... let's be real, they had nowhere to go but up after the Ken Norton Junior days. They have some promising looking young talent (Conley, Hurst, Hall, Key), But the secondary remains somewhat of a question mark and the LBs are iffy and will not be handling the pass efficiently I'm afraid. .

STs. Their rookie kicker is already banged up, insert Mike Nugent until healthy. Their rookie punter is not impressive. 

Well the report is Mack could miss regular season games with his holdout. Look people are sleeping on the Raiders because there is no reason to hype them up. If the Raiders go into the season without their best player on the team in Mack they are screwed. Like their defense isnt that much to brag about with Mack but at least he was so great that you had to gameplan for him. If he isnt their the Raiders wont be able to stop anybody. Thats going to put so much pressure on the offense. We have seen teams that had legit great offenses like the Saints go (7-9) multiple seasons because of their defense being terrible. Plus if you look at the Raiders one great season in 2016 they won alot of close games that couldve went either way but it so happened went their way. To put it plain and simple, they won 12 games in 2016 despite being in the middle of the pack in point differential. Typically teams that win that many games arent middle of the pack. They are usually at the top in point differential. So in 2017 the Raiders season didnt go well because those close games they won in 2016 they were losing in 2017. So again people are sleeping on the Raiders because they havent given any reason to hype them up. The main thing being the situation with Mack. Like they need Mack on their defense to at least scare offenses. Without him nobody will take the Raiders defense seriously. 

19 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Are you still finding ways to throw shade at the Raiders because I don't like Flacco? Your obsession with following me around threads and disliking the Raiders is cute, if a little pathetic. I see the other Ravens fans are here too. Big surprise.

Not following you around, but you are in every thread where there is just a hint of Derek Carr where you try to elevate him and his play, now that is cute, møs møs

58 minutes ago, Danand said:

Not following you around, but you are in every thread where there is just a hint of Derek Carr where you try to elevate him and his play, now that is cute, møs møs

Not really elevating him. Just calling out disingenuous arguments. He's had 2 very good years, as @jrry32 pointed out. He wasn't as good last year due to circumstances not going right (jrry's words, not mine). He's still a young qb who hasn't hit his prime yet.

Not sure how that's elevating him. Just pointing out the obvious. The difference is that the vast majority of fans who dislike Carr in this forum, and even in this thread, are Ravens fans, or that one salty falcon fan who can't find stats, or any reasons really to show that Luck is a transcendent talent.

So again, run along. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not really elevating him. Just calling out disingenuous arguments. He's had 2 very good years, as @jrry32 pointed out. He wasn't as good last year due to circumstances not going right (jrry's words, not mine). He's still a young qb who hasn't hit his prime yet.

Not sure how that's elevating him. Just pointing out the obvious. The difference is that the vast majority of fans who dislike Carr in this forum, and even in this thread, are Ravens fans, or that one salty falcon fan who can't find stats, or any reasons really to show that Luck is a transcendent talent.

So again, run along. 

so his good years are because of his talents, and the bad years are due to circumstances not going right. That is your everlasting argument instead of admitting Derek Carr as several other quarterbacks are really good at locking on to a short out route quickly and missing open receivers deep in the middle of the field.

Archived