What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hiring is political, and hiring in management is worse. My guess is he wasn't interested in @naptownskinsfan as a candidate, but didn't want to burn a bridge with his friend. In his mind, it may have been worth the hour to keep that political capital for a hiring meeting later.

EDIT: Not that it excuses blowing off the interview with him. I'm just trying to explain why he may have taken the meeting in the first place.

Exactly what I told my friend. That was the main vibe I got during our time together. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Little story that helped me be a better lead/supervisor, and what to look for in a good manager.... I was an Air Force contractor, and did a lot of work with one shop that was 5-6 senior enlisted guys, and an officer. The guys were all military old (35-42ish), grumpy, and hated anybody that wasn't them. The officer was a supper happy, bubbly, 23 year old female captain that had too big of glasses, and braces. She was everything those guys would normally hate, but they absolutely loved her, and it took me a long time to get why. We were working a mission stopping problem, and it was a few hours past go home time. The senior guy and me were woking some electronics, and the captain just starts running cable for us. When we were making up, I told her that I had never had an officer just start doing the grunt work like that, and what she said sticks with me today. She said "I'm not here to tell these guys how to do their job because I don't know how to do it. They'd do their job even if I wasn't here. I'm just here to make sure they have everything they need to do their job, and do what I can to help them do it in the most efficient way possible". That really stuck with me. I saw that those guys would have done anything for her because she stayed out of their way, and only stepped in when they needed her to, even the times they didn't realizer it. They knew she would go to battle for them, but were never upset if she lost because they knew she did everything she could to win. I think the situation really sticks out because I saw how those guys hated and treated a couple different officers. They should have run this captain out of town, but she respected them enough to allow them to do their job, and they responded by doing everything they could to make sure she never had to answer for them. 

Other thoughts...

A manager that will go an extra mile for their team gets a team that will go an extra 50 for them. 

Nobody likes a new manager that comes in and wants to change everything right away. Find out who your people are, how they do things, and why they do them the way they do. Changes will feel like you had them in mind if you know how they do it, and it's not you wanting to shake things up. They'll respond much better. 

The better you make your team look, the better it makes you look. A manager that has a high turnover rate due to internal promotion gets noticed way faster than somebody just making the numbers. People scream praises for a manager that helped them get to where they want to go, and it's always heard from above. 

Thanks for sharing.

That's defiantly my mindset going in. I've always trained people to be better than I ever was. Giving them my playbook to accelerate their growth.

My original goal was to go in and understand how to do everyone job, so I could preform it in case we were down people. However, I don't want to create an environment of hand holding. I've done that in the past, (not as a manager) to keep from creating more fires. All it did was enforce the negligence and bad behavior.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hiring is political, and hiring in management is worse. My guess is he wasn't interested in @naptownskinsfan as a candidate, but didn't want to burn a bridge with his friend. In his mind, it may have been worth the hour to keep that political capital for a hiring meeting later.

EDIT: Not that it excuses blowing off the interview with him. I'm just trying to explain why he may have taken the meeting in the first place.

Yeah, I get that.

My previous employer, before my my most recent one, always took interviews for job you applied for. It was nice to at least have a conversation on how I could improve to where I wanted to go.

One of the big reasons for me leaving this last job was I applied for a job a little outside of my skill set, but I had experience in certain forms. I didn't even get a phone call. My boss told me not to take it personally, but I did then, and still do.

Looking at everything, holistically, taking the meeting was probably the way to go.

10 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

My wife and I are expecting our first child in August. We find out the gender this weekend. So much going on and so much to do.

Enjoy the non-hectic moments. Schedule time for that, too - a few Staycations where you sleep in until noon and wake up to order donuts, chinese food and watch Netflix in bed.

You'll need that downtime to navigate through the heavier times. Make sure to do that - for her, especially.

13 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If it makes you feel any better, the guy broke the first rule of acting deceptively in the workplace: don't get caught.

Yeah that's very true.  He also didn't give off a great "vice president" vibe for the company.  I've heard a lot from my friend about another VP who is his immediate supervisor, and I might have dodged a bullet on this one to be quite honest.  

17 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Thanks for sharing.

That's defiantly my mindset going in. I've always trained people to be better than I ever was. Giving them my playbook to accelerate their growth.

My original goal was to go in and understand how to do everyone job, so I could preform it in case we were down people. However, I don't want to create an environment of hand holding. I've done that in the past, (not as a manager) to keep from creating more fires. All it did was enforce the negligence and bad behavior.

So how would you react to somebody clarifying that you said "defiantly" instead of "definitely"?