What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You'd be shocked how many times at work where we're all staring at something that doesn't make any sense and half an hour later we figure out it's because the units were wrong.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Units.  I remember my teacher the first year I had a class was a ****** about units, and then I took it in college and I understood why.

when doing astrophysics calculations, the numbers are all either so large (10^49, etc) or so small that you just ignore the numbers and only care about units (which includes order of magnitude). 

if you are doing something like adding 10^49 + 10^42, the 10^42 factor (10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) is so meaningless that you just drop it from the equation.

17 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

when doing astrophysics calculations, the numbers are all either so large (10^49, etc) or so small that you just ignore the numbers and only care about units (which includes order of magnitude). 

if you are doing something like adding 10^49 + 10^42, the 10^42 factor (10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) is so meaningless that you just drop it from the equation.

I'm sure I'd end up trying to put someone on the moon and then send them off towards Mars like an idiot.

My freshman year in college, I got destroyed by a professor who loved unit conversions and made some up that were just crazy difficult. One I still kind of remember was basically "how many moles of soap would you need to surround and wash off y spheres of dirt with a radius of z nanometers" where he gave you the dimensions of a soap molecule and how close they would need to be to dissolve the dirt. Just a unit conversion. Took goddamn forever.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm sure I'd end up trying to put someone on the moon and then send them off towards Mars like an idiot.

My freshman year in college, I got destroyed by a professor who loved unit conversions and made some up that were just crazy difficult. One I still kind of remember was basically "how many moles of soap would you need to surround and wash off y spheres of dirt with a radius of z nanometers" where he gave you the dimensions of a soap molecule and how close they would need to be to dissolve the dirt. Just a unit conversion. Took goddamn forever.

I know this guy who is a night custodian that could solve it in no time.

MIbpwE.gif

Then again,

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

We have snow today but its not going to stick. I'm over this cold weather. It needs to finally be spring.

This time last year, we'd already had a 90 degree day. We've only had like two or three days this year that have hit 60.

I'm over it.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

The only thing getting me through the snow today is the fact that it's supposed to be in the 70s by the end of the week.

We’ve had rain for a week straight, high of 65 today and people are acting like it’s 90

another week of rain coming tomorrow too lol

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

We’ve had rain for a week straight, high of 65 today and people are acting like it’s 90

another week of rain coming tomorrow too lol

It was 30 this morning; the warmest morning I can remember in weeks. It's been steady 20s overnight with highs around 35-40 for a while now. Even when the sun comes out, it's cold.

3 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It was 30 this morning; the warmest morning I can remember in weeks. It's been steady 20s overnight with highs around 35-40 for a while now. Even when the sun comes out, it's cold.

It's snowing a lil bit rn in Buchanan