What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Just now, eagles101 said:

If they get free syringes then they wont share needles so it stops the spread of diseases. 

Shouldn't they just remind people that, "Hey, if you use used syringes, you will get diseases," and then use that as a further deterrent to drugs instead of catering to drug users? 

7 hours ago, iPwn said:

I’ve been very productive at work today. I made a rubber band ball from scratch and....well that’s about it.

I hate you. I'm traveling for work, which apparently means I have meetings all day (and fricking 3 hours of presentations over two days so I sound like a 30 year smoker at this point) and then have to do regular work after the travel work is done.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, eagles101 said:

If they get free syringes then they wont share needles so it stops the spread of diseases. 

Correct, and these types of programs are incredibly effective in terms of preventing disease (and thus reducing health care costs). It not only makes sense ethically, it saves us money.

https://www.cdc.gov/policy/hst/hi5/cleansyringes/index.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Shouldn't they just remind people that, "Hey, if you use used syringes, you will get diseases," and then use that as a further deterrent to drugs instead of catering to drug users? 

Dang, if only they'd thought of that before!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

They tried that. Doesnt work. If you took a  addict and gave him a syringe and said “it’s definitely got aids” a lot of them would still take them. Its just one of those issue if you have a “to bad druggy” it becomes a huge societal problem. Nobody wants to be an addict so its better to try to help than condemn.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This type of thinking only costs money and lives.

The cost of needles is significantly less than that of the diseases associated with using dirty ones.

The cost of the “War on Drugs” (a war we’ve been losing for decades) is far more than legalization, regulation and profit that can be made, even if you include establishing treatment centers to help addicts.

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Correct, and these types of programs are incredibly effective in terms of preventing disease (and thus reducing health care costs). It not only makes sense ethically, it saves us money.

https://www.cdc.gov/policy/hst/hi5/cleansyringes/index.html

Yessir.

To add to this, if you legalize and tax these drugs you’d not only more than pay for these costs, but there’d be fewer overdoses in general as users would have a known quality/quantity.  OD’s are a huge expenditure of time and resources for EMS and ER workers.

57 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

They tried that. Doesnt work. If you took a  addict and gave him a syringe and said “it’s definitely got aids” a lot of them would still take them. Its just one of those issue if you have a “to bad druggy” it becomes a huge societal problem. Nobody wants to be an addict so its better to try to help than condemn.

Yep. They know the risks, but they are physically addicted.  If you’ve never worked with addicts you don’t grasp what that means.  These folks put that drug above most, of not all else.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It does seem counter-intuitive, but it's a proven method.

You should google Portugal drug law sometime if you want to be quite pleasantly surprised.

9 hours ago, Tyty said:

Dang, if only they'd thought of that before!

xD

• Like 1

I'd rather see drugs legalized and regulated with syringes being included in the price of the drug than people receiving free syringes.  I get it, I just don't like the idea of it.  Just seems wrong.  Especially since they're just throwing the syringes anywhere when they're done with them. 

Free syringes, free birth control, etc. are all the same argument and both sides make sense. I feel as though the "against" is more of a pie in the sky view of if you just reasoned with people about preventing disease, abstaining, birth control is less expensive than having a kid, tax payers shouldn't fund it, etc. I get it and it makes sense. I have this personal view, but  it doesn't make as much sense on a reasonable/will it happen level.

That said, people are still going to use, people are still going to ignore reason/logic, and it will cost more in the long run and is worse for society unfortunately based upon sheer black and white statistics. 

56 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd rather see drugs legalized and regulated with syringes being included in the price of the drug than people receiving free syringes.  I get it, I just don't like the idea of it.  Just seems wrong.  Especially since they're just throwing the syringes anywhere when they're done with them. 

That would be the best route. They outlawed cbd oil...soooo. Usually have to take the three best ideas and throw them out for old outdated nonsense that people hold onto. Free syringes isnt great but its better then the cobra effect ideas we have been dealing with for decades. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think we should just send all drug users to the moon and let them figure it out on their own.  Same basic principle worked with Australia. 

I don't remember sending Australia to the moon....