Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Wonder if the impatience with Carlson last year will come into play here.

at least today it appears it does...

Zimmer: “I don’t know if I’m disappointed in it. I know that he hit one. He’s a talented kid, and Bailey came in and kicked well. We’ll just have to evaluate it and see.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/30/mike-zimmer-on-kickers-well-just-have-to-evaluate-it-and-see/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

at least today it appears it does...

Zimmer: “I don’t know if I’m disappointed in it. I know that he hit one. He’s a talented kid, and Bailey came in and kicked well. We’ll just have to evaluate it and see.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/30/mike-zimmer-on-kickers-well-just-have-to-evaluate-it-and-see/

In the end, I still think, as disappointed as I am in Vedvik thus far, the talent is still evident, I'd still cut Wile and keep Vedvik as punter.  Wile, while he has been more consistent for the last 2 weeks, has no upside and who's to say that in 1 week, if Vedvik was gone, wouldn't just go back to being Mr. Inconsistency again.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

In the end, I still think, as disappointed as I am in Vedvik thus far, the talent is still evident, I'd still cut Wile and keep Vedvik as punter.  Wile, while he has been more consistent for the last 2 weeks, has no upside and who's to say that in 1 week, if Vedvik was gone, wouldn't just go back to being Mr. Inconsistency again.    

Wile isn't Ray Guy. He's average. I think that reason is enough to keep Vedvik, give him an intern year as punter, and develop into a kicker for next year.

24 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Wile isn't Ray Guy. He's average. I think that reason is enough to keep Vedvik, give him an intern year as punter, and develop into a kicker for next year.

Wile was better than average last year.

Among 34 punters with at least 20 punts:

• 14th in YPA
  • 9th in net yardage
  • 6th in average hang time
  • 14th in punting grade

There’s no real need to upgrade.

And it’s very likely Vedvik would be a downgrade, he was terrible this preseason. That’s too heavy a price to pay on the off chance Vedvik is somehow a better kicker than Bailey next year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Krauser said:

• 14th in YPA
  • 9th in net yardage
  • 14th in punting grade

And it’s very likely Vedvik would be a downgrade, he was terrible this preseason. That’s too heavy a price to pay on the off chance Vedvik is somehow a better kicker than Bailey next year. 

I still think putting him on the practice squad might be a good idea.

11 hours ago, Krauser said:

• 14th in YPA
  • 9th in net yardage
  • 14th in punting grade

Didn't he do pretty good in Baltimore? It was here out kicking the coverage then too?

Such a poor trade that was. Just seemed so thoughtless. if they liked him enough to trade a 5th round pick (kicker trades never happen), why not give him time? If Vedvik isn't good he doesn't deserve a roster spot but at the same time, you're trading for potential. I almost would have just gone with Vedvik over Bailey, I don't think it's terribly hard to replace azBailey level player with someone off the street if Vedvik would have had a few bad games to start the year. MN has really botched the kicking situation over the years. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Such a poor trade that was. Just seemed so thoughtless. if they liked him enough to trade a 5th round pick (kicker trades never happen), why not give him time? If Vedvik isn't good he doesn't deserve a roster spot but at the same time, you're trading for potential. I almost would have just gone with Vedvik over Bailey, I don't think it's terribly hard to replace azBailey level player with someone off the street if Vedvik would have had a few bad games to start the year. MN has really botched the kicking situation over the years. 

I think they could have given him the if didn't already have a kicker on the roster that looks a lot better.

Imagine the outrage if Bailey was cut after drastically outperforming Vedvick

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think they could have given him the if didn't already have a kicker on the roster that looks a lot better.

Imagine the outrage if Bailey was cut after drastically outperforming Vedvick

My concern is that the Vikes knew they were trading for upside and a player who has never kicked in regular season games. Why the drastic change of heart after a few meaningless games. He must have been brutal in practice or something. They should have known the risk when the trade was made, a 5th round pick for a kicker is a pretty significant move considering the history of the position.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

My concern is that the Vikes knew they were trading for upside and a player who has never kicked in regular season games. Why the drastic change of heart after a few meaningless games. He must have been brutal in practice or something. They should have known the risk when the trade was made, a 5th round pick for a kicker is a pretty significant move considering the history of the position.

From the sounds of it he was brutal in practice. Bailey was also struggling before the trade