Who won the Khalil Mack trade?

Humble_Beast

Who won the Khalil Mack trade?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who won the Khalil Mack trade?

• Bears
    • Raiders
    • What in the world is Jon Gruden thinking?

15 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

By the same argument, the Raiders haven't won unless those two picks turn into players that have greater value than Mack, and that those players are the piece that gets them to the Super Bowl.

It's not just two picks, it's the fact the Raiders were smart enough to not overpay and have the financial flexibility to improve the entire team in the future.

The Raiders have been ridiculed and Mack's performance last night is not helping, but this was a fair trade. Whether Raiders use those picks appropriately is TBD, but it's not like they got fleeced. Besides, people need to understand that Mark Davis was not liquid enough to put $90 million dollars in escrow. He's rich, but not enough to transfer those types of funds immediately. 

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

It's not just two picks, it's the fact the Raiders were smart enough to not overpay and have the financial flexibility to improve the entire team in the future.

In their current situation, i think the Raiders made the right decision. But it doesn't mean it would have been the right decision for every team in the league. Aside from already having a 25M/Y contract in Carr, the Raiders have drafted very poorly from 2015 to 17. They don't have the benefit of rostering many starters on 1st contracts at the moment (2 on O, 3 on D; 2/5 being rookies) . So how were they expected to complement Carr and Mack with no cap room and their original draft picks? They could have paid Mack but they wouldn't have been able to build a strong enough roster around their 2 huge contracts to field a potential SB winning team anytime soon (during Mack's prime).

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

The question is "Who won the Khalil Mack trade?"

For the Bears to win, it's not just getting an elite player. Anyone could have gotten this elite player and they would have "won the trade." Mack had to elevate their team to the next level, right away. For the Bears to win this trade, Mack has to be that piece that gets them to the playoffs/Super Bowl. And so far, it does not. They don't have a QB in place who can win right now. The problem is that the Bears just traded their future for Mack and won't be able to address their issues until the second round of the draft, and Mack's contract will limit their ability to get free agents.

And Mack might not be the dominant force he is now in 2 years. And they could have just signed Mack outright, and likely gotten him for less money at that point.

So if you're asking who won the trade, it's the Raiders. I don't think they're a playoff team. They have an expensive quarterback and head coach under contract long term. They need to acquire as much cost controlled talent as possible. They're getting two first round picks extra to do this over the next two years. When their picks are becoming productive players, I think the Bears will have discovered Trubisky isn't the QB they need and that Mack is starting to lose a step.

No, it's not the Raiders. Not yet anyway. The Bears got a proven commodity... The Raiders haven't got anything yet except to draft picks which may or may not be good.

if you want to say it's too early to tell, that's perfectly fine... But it's ridiculous to say the Raiders won the trade when they haven't got anything out of it yet. Draft picks don't mean anything until the players are on the field and contributing.

So, two weeks in, what do people think so far of the impact?  Mack has certainly been a wrecking ball for the Bears, but its still only kept them "close" with their offensive deficiencies plaguing them.  Oakland on the other hand has not played well either, and while I think Mack is a superstar, I don't know if he would have tipped the scales for them, either.

10 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

So, two weeks in, what do people think so far of the impact?  Mack has certainly been a wrecking ball for the Bears, but its still only kept them "close" with their offensive deficiencies plaguing them.  Oakland on the other hand has not played well either, and while I think Mack is a superstar, I don't know if he would have tipped the scales for them, either.

I am cool with the trade now. However if Mack was still on our team, we would have beat the Broncos. No doubt in my mind. I am a firm believer that Mack would have made us better as a whole this season, but long term with the abundance of assets we have from him leaving, we will be better off.

7 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I don't think it was close today. We pretty easily beat the Seahawks. We should have won the Green Bay game too if not for the dropped INT but I still saw plenty of progress, even on offense.

Fairly easy Bears win in the trade so far after 2 weeks.

On 9/10/2018 at 12:52 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

No, it's not the Raiders. Not yet anyway. The Bears got a proven commodity... The Raiders haven't got anything yet except to draft picks which may or may not be good.

if you want to say it's too early to tell, that's perfectly fine... But it's ridiculous to say the Raiders won the trade when they haven't got anything out of it yet. Draft picks don't mean anything until the players are on the field and contributing.

Yep. We won't know right now. The extra 23.5M in cap space will help us acquire some players as well, which people are ignoring.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yep. We won't know right now. The extra 23.5M in cap space will help us acquire some players as well, which people are ignoring.

not to mention the high oakland draft pick this year, directly related to the mack trade.

thats the hidden value of the trade nobody is talking about!

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

not to mention the high oakland draft pick this year, directly related to the mack trade.

thats the hidden value of the trade nobody is talking about!

Hey better to suck bad than be mediocre. The Jags somehow made it work. Maybe we can too.

Though I think we end up with 4-9 wins this year depending on how things break. We aren't playing last year's schedule.

49 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Which will be spent on overpaying FA...

The thing Raiders have in their favour is going to Vegas with the no income tax. 

That too. But not all FA are overpaid. Many yes, especially big ticket guys, but not always.

Look at Golden Tate and Marvin Jones. People though they were overpaid, but now they're semi-steals at their current market value. Paying for future production >>>>

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That too. But not all FA are overpaid. Many yes, especially big ticket guys, but not always.

Look at Golden Tate and Marvin Jones. People though they were overpaid, but now they're semi-steals at their current market value. Paying for future production >>>>

i feel though if you’re pointing at the lions as your example for savvy cap management then you’re asking for a lifetime of 7-9 to 9-7

Archived