Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I hate prequels so much! 

This is how everything that you already know happens got to the point before it all happened.  You see all these important characters that weren't in the first series?  Yep, we know they're going to die.  You see these characters that you saw in the first series?  Yeah, we're going to try to manufacture suspense around them, but you already know they don't die and exactly what this leads to.  Lol. 

Yeah no that's not what this GOT prequel will be at all, it's going to be set hundreds if not thousands of years in the past to set itself apart from the main story and more or less be free to do whatever since GOT history is "defined" but only through myths legends.

I mean it could be terrible but we don't even know the premise aside from it's a prequel set in the far far past.

• Like 1

Just now, DingoLadd said:

Yeah no that's not what this GOT prequel will be at all, it's going to be set hundreds if not thousands of years in the past to set itself apart from the main story and more or less be free to do whatever since GOT history is "defined" but only through myths legends.

I mean it could be terrible but we don't even know the premise aside from it's a prequel set in the far far past.

I know, but I still know what happens 1,000 years later. 

28 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

640 pages worth of it coming this November.

It's really incredible. He's releasing the supplemental material you'd expect an author to come up with years after they finished with a series. It's like if JK Rowling pushed back the release of the final Harry Potter book in order to publish a History of Hogwarts.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It's really incredible. He's releasing the supplemental material you'd expect an author to come up with years after they finished with a series. It's like if JK Rowling pushed back the release of the final Harry Potter book in order to publish a History of Hogwarts.

It's very clear to me that finishing the actual story isn't a priority, or it is and he simply doesn't know how to. I also wouldn't be surprised if fear played a role either

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's very clear to me that finishing the actual story isn't a priority, or it is and he simply doesn't know how to. I also wouldn't be surprised if fear played a role either

I think he might be lost. He probably has an ending in mind, but has no idea how to get there while wrapping up all of the loose ends he's created. Admittedly, that's where my HP comparison fails, since obviously ASOIF is a vastly more complicated universe. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the only ASOIF content we ever get is this kind of supplemental stuff that is easier and almost certainly significantly less stressful to write. Which sadly, I also have significantly less interest in reading.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yea, no one is gonna convince me that hes not a selfish pr!ck. Dude already has his original series finished for him and is making millions. So why bother with integrity as an artist?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm with you, Calvert.  Most of the time I think you're just an insufferable whiner, but not in this case.  There's something wrong with George's personality to make his fans wait this long. 

If it were severe writers block or he just wasn't happy with it, it'd be one thing.  However, GRRM has been involved with literally dozens of projects while neglecting the most important thing in his career as a writer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

He has no reason to not consult with another writer, he owes it to his fans to do so and there are plenty of capable authors out there that could do it. He's too stubborn and has too much pride. 

Pride would have finished it already. At this point hes just a lazy pr!ck to me. 

Last I heard out of him about it. He was at 1800 pages for WOW. Still going, but needing a way to cut a whole lot out. And debating if not just making WOW 2 books.

I differ from yalls opinions. I think it is a priority. But like the kid in Nightmare on Elm Street 3, when he was unfolding the map and it would never stop. I think he is that kind of lost in this world he built. And everything keeps expanding. Like he works a path, and finds 2 more paths than need connecting to it, and from it.

He already broke the last 2 books up like that. I say, if the last 2 books takes 5 volumes. Then let it. And start cranking out volumes. Fanbase hes built would not care, and would drool for each and every one.

12 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Last I heard out of him about it. He was at 1800 pages for WOW. Still going, but needing a way to cut a whole lot out. And debating if not just making WOW 2 books.

I differ from yalls opinions. I think it is a priority. But like the kid in Nightmare on Elm Street 3, when he was unfolding the map and it would never stop. I think he is that kind of lost in this world he built. And everything keeps expanding. Like he works a path, and finds 2 more paths than need connecting to it, and from it.

He already broke the last 2 books up like that. I say, if the last 2 books takes 5 volumes. Then let it. And start cranking out volumes. Fanbase hes built would not care, and would drool for each and every one.

Either way he's not going to live to finish it so doesn't really make much difference tbh

30 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

This is mainly where I'm at. Though I'm not sure it's his top priority.

I think he just has too many ideas and wants to finish everything, which is likely going to lead to him never finishing the series he will be remembered for. Since a Dance With Dragons came out, he's released seven supplemental pieces to ASOIAF (including Fire and Blood), was the editor/writer on four Wild Card novels, was the editor of five other anthologies, written five episodes of GoT and written some short fiction stories as well as a number of essays.

Beyond that, he's more famous than he's ever been and with that comes a huge amount of obligations that simply weren't there a decade ago.

The only way he would ever finish the series is if he just sat down and said he wasn't going to work on anything else for a couple of years. And with the HBO spinoff and everything else that he seems to have on the plate, there's just no chance that ever happens.