Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

It was the worst use of calvary in history.

To his point, it is known on the story that the Dothraki are great warriors but not skilled soldiers.  Robert references this in talking about how to fight against the Dothraki hoard, and its brought up more than a few times in the books.  In the open field, the horse lords are deadly raiders, but they dont have any understanding of siege warfare, so it makes sense for them to be the first cannon fodder.  They arent true calvary.  They are pirates on horseback.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Sending roughly 80,000 Dothraki charging into the abyss against an army of the dead without any backup or anything wasn't bad strategy? Am I taking crazy pills?!

Maybe the logic being "they're on horses, are the greatest warriors on land, have flaming sickles, and are basically savages" was what they were going w/?? I dunno. 

3 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

It's not like we're asking for 15 minutes of extra footage and context. We're just asking them not be lazy in tying up loose ends. That is probably the most expensive episode of TV ever filmed, why not try and tighten up the loose ends? An extra minute of footage could've added so much depth and tied a lot more together. 

That's a really small nit to pick I'm sorry.

• Like 3

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

To his point, it is known on the story that the Dothraki are great warriors but not skilled soldiers.  Robert references this in talking about how to fight against the Dothraki hoard, and its brought up more than a few times in the books.  In the open field, the horse lords are deadly raiders, but they dont have any understanding of siege warfare, so it makes sense for them to be the first cannon fodder.  They arent true calvary.  They are pirates on horseback.

Thank you. This kind of fight was right up their alley.  The dead aren’t skilled warriors; they’re brute force out to kill.  And let’s not forget the insanely exaggerated number of them.  It was safe to assume the Dothraki could’ve taken out a significant chunk of them before falling. 

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

How is that small to nitpick? The entire crux of the story depends on her ability to escape Winterfell (which they clearly show has been overrun and humanity is on the verge of collapse) AND get to the godswood, you know, the same Godswood that Jon can't get to. Literally the entire plot line depends on it. It's bad writing, I don't get why that's not understood? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

Thank you. This kind of fight was right up their alley.  The dead aren’t skilled warriors; they’re brute force out to kill.  And let’s not forget the insanely exaggerated number of them.  It was safe to assume the Dothraki could’ve taken out a significant chunk of them before falling. 

I think it was also done that way to set up how great a threat the Army of the Dead really is.  The show spent 7 years showing us how fearsome the Dothraki are.  Robert tells us any army would have to be fools to meet them in the open field.  The Lord of Light seeming blesses them, and they ride out I all their glory and the show makes us think this is going to be the beginning of a great battle (which it was, but not how we expected) only to see them run into a wall of walking corpses and extinguished very quickly. It ups the stakes drmatically

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Fixed with something simple. You can't expect there to be no frustrations about a seemingly teleporting character. 3 added seconds would have completely fixed this, but leaving those out makes Arya look extra supernatural.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Fixed with something simple. You can't expect there to be no frustrations about a seemingly teleporting character. 3 added seconds would have completely fixed this, but leaving those out makes Arya look extra supernatural.

It's a big plot hole that literally could've been filled in with 10 seconds of additional footage. That's why I call it lazy writing. Literally could've taken 10 seconds form Jorah's death sequence and added it here to tie everything together.

I think it was also done that way to set up how great a threat the Army of the Dead really is.  The show spent 7 years showing us how fearsome the Dothraki are.  Robert tells us any army would have to be fools to meet them in the open field.  The Lord of Light seeming blesses them, and they ride out I all their glory and the show makes us think this is going to be the beginning of a great battle (which it was, but not how we expected) only to see them run into a wall of walking corpses and extinguished very quickly. It ups the stakes drmatically

This is where my gripes come from. They've spent 7 seasons setting up this exact point, the NK and his army are the greatest threat to humanity- the "Game of Thrones" is ancillary to this. And they Kill the NK off and end the battle with an ally-oop in bounds play with .02 on the clock. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

How is that small to nitpick? The entire crux of the story depends on her ability to escape Winterfell (which they clearly show has been overrun and humanity is on the verge of collapse) AND get to the godswood, you know, the same Godswood that Jon can't get to. Literally the entire plot line depends on it. It's bad writing, I don't get why that's not understood? 

Bc, again, we have been given enough evidence of her knowledge of winterfell, and ability to use stealth, that we dont literally need to see her jump out of window, or go through a passage or trap door, to know that she is capable of evading the dead.  Seeing her make her way to the Godswood destroys the tone of the final act.  We are meant to know that she has a plan and a purpose and that's it.  The writers in the making of feature talked about how they hoped that the audience would have forgotten about her leaving by the time she reappears to end the NK.  It's not lazy writing, it's execution of a misdirect, while justifying the outcome at the same time to avoid a deus ex machina situation.  

• Like 5

Thats basically what it was. Ratchet up the intensity early on viewers and maintain that for the viewing experience.

But kinda think of the first battle in front the wall in Troy. They were charged, used archers to create separation and fight fewer troops at a time. That was against 100k enemy too. Now think if you had 80k Dothraki Calvary sweeping in from the side during.. But, saying it. It does sound impossible to film with all the timing factors and chaos at once on the screen. Or would cost 50 million to pull off. So probably is right not to even try such on screen.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Bc, again, we have been given enough evidence of her knowledge of winterfell, and ability to use stealth, that we dont literally need to see her jump out of window, or go through a passage or trap door, to know that she is capable of evading the dead.  Seeing her make her way to the Godswood destroys the tone of the final act.  We are meant to know that she has a plan and a purpose and that's it.  The writers in the making of feature talked about how they hoped that the audience would have forgotten about her leaving by the time she reappears to end the NK.  It's not lazy writing, it's execution of a misdirect, while justifying the outcome at the same time to avoid a deus ex machina situation.  

That would've worked, you know, if they didn't go out of their way to show Winterfell being completely overrun from the Crypts, to the towers, to the court yard, etc. It's lazy. Plain and Simple. Throw in the fact that Arya, even with all of her skills which you say explain everything, was overran by Wights and almost killed if not for the hound. There are more holes than swiss cheese. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

This is where my gripes come from. They've spent 7 seasons setting up this exact point, the NK and his army are the greatest threat to humanity- the "Game of Thrones" is ancillary to this. And they Kill the NK off and end the battle with an ally-oop in bounds play with .02 on the clock. 

I didnt get the NK not killing the clock and making his move when he did.  He totally "Falconed" the Super Bowl.

When he died they showed all the dead falling, there was still a good 50k outside Winterfell still pouring over the walls and through the gate. And hes, "Ive waited 1000s of years. I just cant wait 5 more minutes."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Considering the ending wasn’t what people were exactly expecting, I expect Winds of Winter to not just outsell any book of all time but double the sales of any book of all time. Even Harry Potter. 

Hardly.  You underestimate the laziness of people and overestimate the willingness of people to read these days.  (Sadly.)  Sure, there will be people intending now to read it, but a lot of them will take one look at the thickness of the novel whenever it does come out and justify not buying/reading it with the excuse of, "I haven't got time to read 800 pages."