Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Keep in mind that after episode 3 their were reports every week of the episodes getting spammed with thousands of 1 votes prior to the episodes release. So it’s not the best barometer. IMDB is notorious for spam voting by people. 

The series was hugely popular after season 4 and yet never dealt with any of those problems. Seems more like propaganda to state that if their getting bad reviews it must be because of Russian Hackers/Trolls and really everyone loves the episodes. Pulling a trick out of Disney's bag.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The most diplomatic solution was to let a war prisoner that betrayed the queen time and time again, going as far as telling Jon to kill Dany while he has the chance, decide the new political leadership structure in Westeros and be the hand to the new king? No one's mad that the 2nd most powerful man in Westeros happens to be the man that ordered the hit on the former queen and betrayed her regularly? Hmm... 

Edited by JonStark
My phone is being stupid, clearly a sign for me to move on

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

Hey @Calvert28, what did you think of the writing this season?

I could say it's piss poor but then again someone will come back and say a russian troll hacked my account and really I loved everything about this season and this series. No problems from my point of view.

Re: Bran, here’s the problem as I see it: 

1.  On his return to Winterfell, Bran clearly expresses that he can’t be Lord of Anything as the Three-Eyed Raven.  D&D literally don’t do anything to counter this..until the 8.6 scene.   That’s lazy writing / continuity to the nth degree. 

2.   Bran is the one who sets the wheels in motion on the Jon-as-Aegon reveal.   This clearly has future impact that D&D portray as the tipping point for Dany.  

3.   On multiple occasions Bran shows nothing but indifference to the current events.  He even tells others he’s living mostly in the past.  Again D&D do nothing to counter this...until 8.6. 

4.  We get hammered on the qualities of future seeing that Bran possesses.   So to have the events unfold as they did in 8.5 - and not address this?  

And let’s keep in mind we had Tyrion run down S2-5 Dany big events to remind the audience - so leaving zero time for Bran’s turn comes off as incredibly lazy and convenient.  We get Tyrion making the case on his status as the 3-eyed raven and not having heirs - but nothing that fits with Bran’s actual screen portrayal before 8.6.   There’s a huge disconnect there   And why like a lot of S8 sudden twists it doesn’t feel earned.   

I get that Bran may not necessarily be evil or selfish in his intentions.  He may be hands down the best possible ruler and this may have been the best possible outcome.   But here’s the thing - D&D did nothing to earn Bran’s benefit of the doubt by the portrayal they chose to perpetuate with him pre-8.6.   Bran’s portrayal, actions & words pre-8.6 all said he wasn’t leader material.  He didn’t get involved, he showed indifference and even ruled out being ruler of anything.   So the turn to “that’s what I’ve been waiting for” line rings so hollow.  That’s totally on D&D.   Not a single scene to show Bran actually cared about ppl around him.   Even a line saying inaction was necessary for the best future would have at least had some basis (I’d have preferred more but we little got nothing. Zilch).  

I’m all about letting the audience fill in the blanks - but just like Rhaegar being felled by random scorpion shots and Dany somehow not seeing Euron’s fleet 1 ep before she and Drogon go HAM on both the fleet and King’s Landing, the past setup and current plot twist don’t match at all.   And what’s frustrating is that it’s really  just a decision to ignore setup there.  A recurring theme with S8’s flaws but an apt one.  

The tough part is that Bran’s plot twist is what allows Jon to go up north without more bloodshed, Tyrion to rule in practice  and it also allows Sansa to rule the north (but yeah Dorne & Iron Isles would be all over remaining independent too).  

So the end result was ok - just how D&D got there using Bran didn’t feel earned at all.   I’m torn because for Jon & Sansa & Tyrion outcomes were IMO their best-case possible scenarios for the ending finale after 8.5 went down as it did.  But D&D writing for Bran’s turn IMO earns the criticism it’s getting.   It just so happens that it likely gave the best result for the most important surviving players left in the series.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Keep in mind that after episode 3 their were reports every week of the episodes getting spammed with thousands of 1 votes prior to the episodes release. So it’s not the best barometer. IMDB is notorious for spam voting by people. 

Yes, coincidentally, this only happens with movies and shows that a lot of people genuinely hate for huge plot holes, tropes, and continuity errors.

How's Endgame doing with all those spam votes?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yara isn’t Balon, they aren’t at full strength since Euron, they already agreed to a king, the Ironborn haven’t been successful with Rebellions historically. 

You're right, and instead of bending the knee to one of the pretender Kings she also sided with being independent. So something tells me the "real" Yara would have just sailed back and declared herself Queen. Cause who's gonna go to the Islands? Everyone wants peace and no one wants to step on anyone's toes. Hence the silence at Sansa's declaration.

Edited by Calvert28

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Yes, coincidentally, this only happens with movies and shows that a lot of people genuinely hate for huge plot holes, tropes, and continuity errors.

How's Endgame doing with all those spam votes?

Yea or IW. Or Madmen? Or Breaking Bad?

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Bran, here’s the problem as I see it: 

1.  On his return to Winterfell, Bran clearly expresses that he can’t be Lord of Anything as the Three-Eyed Raven.  

2.   He is the one who sets the wheels in motion on the Jon-as-Aegon reveal.   This clearly has future impact that D&D portray as the tipping point for Dany.  

3.   On multiple occasions Bran shows nothing but indifference to the current events.  He even tells others he’s living mostly in the past. 

4.  We get hammered on the qualities of future seeing that Bran possesses.   

I get that he may not necessarily be evil or selfish in his intentions.   This may have been the best possible outcome.   But here’s the thing - D&D did nothing to earn Bran’s benefit of the doubt by the portrayal they chose to perpetuate.   Not a single scene to show he cared about ppl around him.   Even a line saying inaction was necessary for the best future would have at least had some basis.  

I’m all about letting the audience fill in the blanks - but just like Rhaegar being felled by random scorpion shots and Dany somehow not seeing Euron’s fleet 1 ep before she and Drogon go HAM on both the fleet and King’s Landing, the past setup and current plot twist don’t match at all.   And what’s frustrating is that it’s really  just a decision to ignore setup there.  A recurring theme but an apt one.  

The tough part is that Bran’s plot twist is what allows Jon to go up north without more bloodshed, Tyrion to rule in practice  and it also allows Sansa to rule the north (but yeah Dorne & Iron Isles would be all over remaining independent too).  

So the end result was ok - just how D&D got there using Bran didn’t feel earned at all.   I’m torn because for Jon & Sansa & Tyrion outcomes were IMO the best. Are scenarios for the ending finale.  But D&D writing for Bran’s turn IMO earns the criticism it’s getting.   It just so happens that it likely gave the best result for the most important surviving players left in the series.   

Like I said happy endings for just about everyone.

Samwell- Wanted to become a maester so he could read books all day.

Became a maester.

Bronn- Wanted to be a lord and get a castle.

Became a Highlord and got the nicest damn castle in Westeros.

Brienne- Wanted to serve as a Knight.

Became Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Jon- Didn't want to rule and wanted to go back North.

Chosen not to rule and exiled back north.

Dany- Wanted to Break the Wheel

Wheel Broken

Arya- Wanted to be Nymeria who she named her wolf after.

Went off like Dora the Explorer almost like Nymeria

Sansa- Originally wanted to become Queen by marrying the King

Became Queen anyways. Didn't need a King.

Wildlings- Wanted to be free

Still free at the end.

Yara- Wanted to lead the Iron Islanders

Lead them.

Hound- Wanted vengence

Got vengence

Jaime- Wanted to die in the arms of the woman he loves

Found under a thin layer of bricks that probably wouldn't have killed them both if we're being serious. Maybe a broken shoulder or open wound on their head.

Dothraki- Wanted to kill men in Iron suits for their Queen while raping and pillaging

Did just all that.

Unsullied- Help their Queen get the Iron Throne, protect Missendai's people.

Did just all that

Gendry- Wanted to be somebody and belong

Became Lord of Storm's end

Ghost- Wanted to get pet

Got pet

I think the only two people who didn't get what they really wanted were Davos and Tormund

Davos- Really wanted to pass holdings on to his son. Son died though. So he pledged himself to ending the war.

Ended the war so he got what he wanted pretty much.

Tormund- Want Giant's Milk

Didn't get his Milk.

Bitter Sweet though ending though with voting rights solving all of the worldly woes of people.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I wonder if anyone other than the Stark children, Sam and Tyrion ended the show knowing that Jon was the true heir to the throne? Wonder if that would've changed anything in the minds of the council if they knew?

This season needed 10 episodes.

Curious about the letters Varys’ wrote 

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Bitter Sweet though ending though with voting rights solving all of the worldly woes of people.

I mean, I was pretty happy just to see Dany die and Jon not sit the throne, so I kinda missed on the bitter.

I guess bitter that my ending prediction was wrong?  (And that Jon lived.  **** Jon)