Who is the worst or least accomplished long term starting QB you have ever seen?

patriotsheatyan

Kerry Collins started ***180*** games for six different teams and spent maybe one season as a top ten QB if that. Though he did make it to the Super Bowl that one time.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has started 119 games for seven different teams and has never started a playoff game.

8 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

Kerry Collins started ***180*** games for six different teams and spent maybe one season as a top ten QB if that. Though he did make it to the Super Bowl that one time.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has started 119 games for seven different teams and has never started a playoff game.

In all fairness, Fitzpatrick started a huge portion of those games due to injury. Collins started some as a backup as well.

First name I thought of was Steve Grogan. After that maybe Joe Ferguson. Neither had any remarkable seasons, but started a lot of games for the Patriots and Bills.

You won't see runs like that in today's age. Teams are more willing to cut the fat quicker than they were in the 70's and 80's. 

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

First name I thought of was Steve Grogan. After that maybe Joe Ferguson. Neither had any remarkable seasons, but started a lot of games for the Patriots and Bills.

You won't see runs like that in today's age. Teams are more willing to cut the fat quicker than they were in the 70's and 80's. 

Especially at QB.   Back then, while QB's were important, they werent considered notably more key to success than many other positions.    Rule changes have made QB's much more important, and thus, when one isnt working out, teams are quicker to seek out a replacement.   Back in the 80s and especially in the dead ball era, you could get away with underwhelming QB play.

In regards to the question, Ill stick with QBs Ive seen and clearly remember...also ones that werent starting alot due to injuries.   Jay Cutler is a decent one.  Matt Schaub was never that good either.   Joe Flacco is at least an honorable mention, since the only reason he is still starting in this league is because of his one great postseason run.

Not sure if he started long enough, but Kordell Stewart started about 3 seasons longer than he should have...and held us back a good bit.   

Sam Bradford 

He’s at best had some above average seasons, but never anything special.  He’s never made the  Pro Bowl as even an alternate.  Never started a playoff game. He’s never even led a team to a .500 season.  

Not that it’s all his fault, but he’s the least accomplished long term QB I’ve seen

EDIT - To clarify he’s not the worst, I missed that part. Just would consider him the least accomplished that I can remember

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Vinny. This thread was made for him

I'd say Simms too, but obviously he won a ring. 

This is exactly where my mind went, immediately. 214 starts, 21 season career, virtually a 1:1 INT/TD ratio, only stats he ever led the league in were attempts (once) and INTs (4 times.) Lasted 6 years on the Bucs despite never topping 6 wins or a 76 QB rating, and never throwing for more TDs than INTs. Saved his career a little bit, statistically and reputation wise, in the late 90s, but he was a 9 year vet before his first good season.

Can only assume he made it as far as he did because the Buccaneers before the late 90s were special kinds of awful. 

Initially I wanted to say Charlie Batch but his career as a starter was rather short. He was actually a pretty good backup. There really is no modern day equivalent of a Steve DeBerg or Gus  Ferotte. Closest we have is the trio of Flacco, Dalton and Manning. 

8 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This is exactly where my mind went, immediately. 214 starts, 21 season career, virtually a 1:1 INT/TD ratio, only stats he ever led the league in were attempts (once) and INTs (4 times.) Lasted 6 years on the Bucs despite never topping 6 wins or a 76 QB rating, and never throwing for more TDs than INTs. Saved his career a little bit, statistically and reputation wise, in the late 90s, but he was a 9 year vet before his first good season.

Can only assume he made it as far as he did because the Buccaneers before the late 90s were special kinds of awful. 

Absolutely not Vinny was the original Michael Vick. He busted some really long runs. I will never forget when he just trucked Raiders LB Greg Biekert. Those Buccaneers teams were tragic. 

Not sure how strict OP was asking for, but I didn't include Vinny since he did have a couple of really good seasons in his career. 1998 with the Jets he was dynamite. 1996 with the Ravens he was good too. The team just stunk. 

Dan Pastorini was a guy that started a lot of games for Houston in the 70's. Not very good even by the standards of the time I don't think. 

I know he has a ring but Trent Dilfer? Brad Johnson? They have rings because their defenses told them not to screw up. Other than that they were just a way to get the ball to a running back and only throw it when it was absolutely needed. 

Archived