How is Jason Garret still a head coach?

Vladimir L

Because Jerry is the Owner. Jerry decides who gets fired and he loves Garrett. The Cowboys are an accident waiting to happen and I dont know if its a Jerry issue or a Garrett issue but my thinking is as long as the stadium is getting filled every game and the media talks about the Cowboys every day acting like they are the Patriots (winning Superbowls and going to conference champions all the time), then Jerry isnt going to feel like he has to make a change anytime soon.

He was never qualified to be our OC in 2007, much less a HC 3 years later.  I still maintain that he should've been sent packing after the 2013 season. I don't give a hoot about the subsequent 2014 season or 2016 season. He's always bounced back just enough to save his neck and then spit the bit the following year.

No matter how they keep shuffling the OCs/position coaches, Garrett's stale/risk adverse offensive scheme will always bleed through.  It'll get you some wins in the regular season but in big games against quality coaching, it gets shut down by more intelligent schemes.

28 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Garrett will be there until Jerry croaks.  Sorry Cowboy fans.

In years past (prior to 2016) I would've agreed. But, Stephen/McClay have taken control of the personnel side of the house. Proof of that is Jerry's little darling, Dez, being unceremoniously kicked to the curb.  This is Garret's 11th season with the team (OC/HC). If Garrett doesn't make the playoffs this year (minimum), I don't think the GM-by-committee will keep him around. IIRC, his contract is up after next year.  Jerry desperately wants another Lombardi before he croaks, allegiances be darned. 

I am no fan of Garrett and I personally believe he should've been relieved of his duties years ago (too bad Jerrah loves having his "yes-man" on the sidelines too much for that too have happened), but in this first game vs the Panthers I don't really blame Garrett at all.  This game proved what everybody has been saying all offseason long about the Cowboys and that is that they have absolutely NO weapons on offense whatsoever.  Who is poor Dak supposed to ever throw the football to exactly?  The OL that has been the best unit in the NFL the past few years has also been ravaged by injuries/illness and they didn't give Prescott much of a chance today regardless of what weapons they have.  The defense played OK and held Cam and Co to only 16 points after all, but if they can't figure out how to move that offense going forward I don't see how they are going to win even the 5 games I predicted them to this season.  Its simply not all Garrett's fault here.

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Because Jerry is the Owner. Jerry decides who gets fired and he loves Garrett. The Cowboys are an accident waiting to happen and I dont know if its a Jerry issue or a Garrett issue but my thinking is as long as the stadium is getting filled every game and the media talks about the Cowboys every day acting like they are the Patriots (winning Superbowls and going to conference champions all the time), then Jerry isnt going to feel like he has to make a change anytime soon.

This. Jerry is probably comfortable with Garrett's persona. If Jones really cared about results, instead of how those results are achieved or who gets credit, Jimmy Johnson wouldn't have been ousted. 

Archived