Around the NFL - NFL General GDT

Danger

40 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Definitely the plan to roll the money, but wasn’t part of it because everyone’s contracts were hitting next year at a high number? Like I know Wentz’ cap hit is a lot for the first time.

I think it allows flexibility to add people, but I don’t think we will be able to throw money at the problems with ease.

Wentz is still reasonable for 2020. He really jumps 2021. (19M to 35M)

They have 25M (?) right now. Not exactly sure how it works in terms or rollover but that should put them in great position to do what they need to do. They have 35M starting next season. I don’t know if that 25M is added in after or is already considered according to sportrac but that’s still plenty damn money. 35M-60M should be plenty enough for Howie to convert, manipulate and use as much as he’d like. Especially if he considers this a load up year. A lot of young guys could be big contributors at rookie deals. The LT, LG, HB, CBs, LBs are all still cheap. I mean, Darby and Agholor alone are like +19M off the books. You figure we’re adding a CB, WR possibly with Alshon’s next season in jeopardy. Still leaves money to go after what you want. 

26 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I'm really excited for seeing Malik Jackson back next season. We have no idea what this defense could've looked like. He's a difference making pass rusher from the interior. Cox-Jackson-Jernigan-Ridgeway-Rush or something similar would be nice next year. I really want Jernigan back.

Beginning of the season I thought we had some overkill in terms of numbers but seeing how much Cox has been ineffective vs the double team (comparison to last year). I really hope he can have a bounce back year. I know he's getting up there in age in terms of snaps/usage. That cap hit the next 3 years are going to hurt if he's on the downside of his career.  

Edited by nlesthought

46 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I'm really excited for seeing Malik Jackson back next season. We have no idea what this defense could've looked like. He's a difference making pass rusher from the interior. Cox-Jackson-Jernigan-Ridgeway-Rush or something similar would be nice next year. I really want Jernigan back.

I think you have to give Timmy what he wants. He’s intricate to the middle being a big presence this year. Cox, Jackson and Timmy all getting rotation is pretty sexy. Still think we need an edge to go along with DB and BG. Maybe Sweat puts it together next year. 

13 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I think you have to give Timmy what he wants. He’s intricate to the middle being a big presence this year. Cox, Jackson and Timmy all getting rotation is pretty sexy. Still think we need an edge to go along with DB and BG. Maybe Sweat puts it together next year. 

I agree, I wonder what he'd want? Maybe like 3 year for $15M or something in that ballpark? I think he's very important to the defense and is about the best insurance policy out there as a DT. And on Sweat, I think he's really taken his game to another level this year, he  flashes every game. Sure there's a lot of room for growth, but I like the trajectory he's on. Even if he only marginally improves from here, I believe there is a spot in the rotation for him. I consider that pick a hit already.

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Wentz is still reasonable for 2020. He really jumps 2021. (19M to 35M)

They have 25M (?) right now. Not exactly sure how it works in terms or rollover but that should put them in great position to do what they need to do. They have 35M starting next season. I don’t know if that 25M is added in after or is already considered according to sportrac but that’s still plenty damn money. 35M-60M should be plenty enough for Howie to convert, manipulate and use as much as he’d like. Especially if he considers this a load up year. A lot of young guys could be big contributors at rookie deals. The LT, LG, HB, CBs, LBs are all still cheap. I mean, Darby and Agholor alone are like +19M off the books. You figure we’re adding a CB, WR possibly with Alshon’s next season in jeopardy. Still leaves money to go after what you want. 

Is it really that much? I haven't checked in on it in a bit. Did the restructures help that much?

Hopefully it's a good balance. I think this year shows the norm that young guys in your system is the best way to replenish. 
2017 was more rare where we hit on a ton of 1/2 year mercenaries.

taking a look at it

QB: Wentz's deal will finally start to be more, yes. But we also will have to sign a vet or resign Suds. We'll probably waste another mid to late pick on a guy too.
WR: Need to sign at least one good player and draft one high at the bare minimum. 
RB: It seems like they might be content to let Howard walk. Earlier in the year I thought he might be back. If Scott is what he's shown, and if say Holyfield can be that short yard guy..we has a solid and cheap backfield for a couple years.
TE: We're good here, maybe draft a guy late or just stick with the guys they kick around. Getting another guy who can block would be good.
OT: JP hopefully reads the room and retires, that will make the offseason go way smoother. If he does they probably draft a guy or sign a vet since Vaitai likely is gone.
OG: Probably want to bring in some competition for LG. But largely ok to ignore.
  C: This Kelce retirement thing keeps lingering. With him having a kid this year, that could either push him to play longer for money or call it to spend time with her. This could become a           major need in an instant and really screw up stuff.

So overall not a ton of moves, but some more pricey ones with adding 1 or 2 WRs and paying a backup QB

DE: Production was so-so, probably let Vinny walk. But do they load up and get a Clowney or Ngakoue? And if they do.. do we go heavy with VET/BG/DB/Sweat/Hall/Ostman/Miller?
DT: Will need to draft and sign depth, wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we use one of the 4 top picks we have on a DT. But yeah could see Timmy back too.
LB: Nigel might get cut this year, we have an out and his deal doubles. On top of our other LBs concerns, we'll need to channel money there.
CB: My guess is they resign Mills, let Darby walk. Then we'll have to sign a vet and should draft a guy early. Vet/Mills/Maddox/Rookie/ Douglas /Leblanc
  S: Tough. They could be coming to a head with Malcolm if he doesn't get a new deal. McLeod has played well, but do you bring him back? A lot of question marks going forward.

So defense we potentially will have to pay two LBs, a Safety, a Corner. Likely resign Mills and Timmy (or add a FA at his tier). And then maybe try to get a better rusher.

Safeties, Corner(s) and Wr(s) are gonna cost a lot. Chance they do more patch jobs there than getting the #1 guy. LBs will be interesting what happens there. And then there is the chance they want to spend big along the Dline to get it back to the place it should be.

It's doable at that amount, cap should be going up some more than usual (for various reasons).
But we might only get one blue chip FA. And it might not be at the position of biggest need (like DE)

I wonder if they have cooled on Amari Cooper, after being up for trading a 2nd two seasons prior..
Him checking out and dropping so much seems like the opposite of what they want to invest in after this year.
We'll probably overpay Robby Anderson.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

^What about Jones? I think he's a FA in '21 Craig James is an ERFA

Oh good point, I forgot about him Honestly.

i think they’ll have James back in some capacity 

Could be a training camp battle between him and Rasul. Because Leblanc plays inside way better. If they convert on to a type of safety that’d be one way to keep them all. But idk 

Sidney could be one of those guys they trade for a similarly underperforming guy on a rookie deal. 

31 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I just read Andrew Berry Eagles VP of football Ops could be a guy for the Cleveland GM role. Worked in Cleveland FO '16-18

Guess it depends who they get at HC, you’d think if it’s McDaniels he’d want his own guy. If they truly want to have them be in sync like they said.

Which I think Josh would be a terrible hire for them.

6 hours ago, nlesthought said:

Beginning of the season I thought we had some overkill in terms of numbers but seeing how much Cox has been ineffective vs the double team (comparison to last year). I really hope he can have a bounce back year. I know he's getting up there in age in terms of snaps/usage. That cap hit the next 3 years are going to hurt if he's on the downside of his career.  

Cox was still recovering from his injury the first 1/2 of the season. This last 1/2 of the year he looks every bit as Dominate as his former self. He's fine!

3 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if BB called it quits (if they don't resign TB12) and the reigns are handed off to McDaniels. 

No chance! If Brady left (Hes not) Belicheck will do exactly what Tom is attempting to do. Prove he can Win without the other. 

With all of the FA QB that will be available,  he'd get his choice, take em and still win the AFCE. He's the 1st Rd Bust Collector! Probably sign , Wibston, Mariota and or Rosen, make them battle it out and turn one or both into a viable QB!