What if Dalton has a near 2015 level season?

patriotsheatyan

27 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

1: Could the Bengals contend?

Sure. Although that’ll have more to do with the rest of the team/Lewis than Dalton, IMO.

2: Would Dalton buy himself a few more years or just one?

If he had a high caliber season, I have to imagine he’d have to be Nathan Peterman-bad to get the boot after 2019.

3: How would your perception change of him?

Depends on how he does in the playoffs.

4: How would perception around the league change of him?

Play well in the post season.

I think he’s a pretty solid QB but actually thought Bengals we you’d be a bottom team this year just because you think eventually The guys would not show up for Marvin Lewis. I thought AJ Green would be changing teams before 2019 season and they’d rebuild but they look good so far. Andy is good but not great. Don’t know if I’ll predict playoffs but they showed up this season when I thought they could be a prime candidate to be awful. Hope the do well and win a playoff game!

It all comes down to winning in the postseason. I think if they can get that one monkey off their back they are talented enough to make a run. But there is going to be so much pressure if they do make the playoffs to win. The good news is, the past two weeks they have played till the end and haven’t “bungled” away a victory like teams of years past. 

Think about this.

In 2015, the Bengals almost won a playoff game with AJ McCarron against the Steelers.  The same AJ McCarron that couldn't win the job from Nathan Peterman in Buffalo just a few weeks ago.

I get sad when i think about the 2015 season, because i think there's a really good chance Dalton and the Bengals would have won a playoff game if he had stayed healthy.  Instead the narrative continues.

If Dalton plays like he did in 2015 and stays healthy, they have a good shot to finally win a playoff game.  But that's the only way this narrative changes.  

8 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Could the Bengals contend?

yes

few more, but with competition. they bring in a young guy

only if he wins a playoff game

only if he wins in the playoffs

2 hours ago, theJ said:

In 2015, the Bengals almost won a playoff game with AJ McCarron against the Steelers.  The same AJ McCarron that couldn't win the job from Nathan Peterman in Buffalo just a few weeks ago.

Heh good point. 

With the parity in the league, anyone can beat anyone. 

I'm still amused the 7-9 Eagles won the following year's Super Bowl. Any team can do the same. 

8 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Like, 105 rating and 4000 yards (16 games this time). This isn’t unprecedented given his 2015 season. 

1: Could the Bengals contend?

1. To an extent.

2. Multiple, and it would extend the obnoxious mediocre QB purgatory that Cincy is stuck in. He puts up stats like that and wins to go with it, they'll give him next year. He's only 30, so if they plan to give him next year, they probably won't draft a QB at any point in the draft that actually matters, so they'll effectively be giving him two years, most likely. And it extends Lewis's tenure, as if he'd ever get fired.

3. Not at all.

4. Not much. He'd be on the positive side of mediocrity as opposed to the negative side of it. More Kirk Cousins than Joe Flacco.

Archived