NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

3rd overall pick with the Oilers. I'm sure there's plenty of McNair memorabilia for the old Oilers.

I dunno, I get it from a sentimental perspective for people who were fans of whatever team is in the city, not the franchise, but....the Titans were the Oilers. Of course the Titans would have those throwbacks, if anyone did, not the Texans. It's like saying the Ravens should have a white and blue throwback with a horse on it. City =/= franchise.

Are you saying the Ravens should wear orange and brown for their throwback uniforms?

13 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

3rd overall pick with the Oilers. I'm sure there's plenty of McNair memorabilia for the old Oilers

The franchise was dubbed "lame duck" in Houston by then. Bud Adams made his intentions known, the team was moving to Tennessee that offseason - and nobody in the city cared given how Adams went about his business - it was the definition of a bad divorce between Houston and Adams. It is very similar to what's going on in Oakland now; The team was on their way out, and fans/city officials could not wait for them to leave. Not because the city/fans hated the Raiders, but because they didn't like Mark Davis - so by proxy, the fans tuned out; it didn't hurt that the Oilers just finished a fire sale by trading Warren Moon and letting Buddy Ryan take 3/4th of the starting defense and the other Houston teams were at a peak with Hakeem Olaijuwon, Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio playing at HOF levels. 

If there's Steve McNair merchandise in Houston, I haven't seen anyone here really showcase it (and I've been here for near 40 years, pretty much dedicated to football that entire time). I'd actually be very confident in saying Vince Young is the more popular Titans QB to Houstonians, given his ties to the city and his heroics in the Rose Bowl for the Longhorns; You still see UT #10 jerseys around the city, but nothing with McNair's name on it. Steve McNair left very little impression on this city, because he was basically gone even before he was drafted. Not his fault, was just in a tough situation until they picked up and moved.

13 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I dunno, I get it from a sentimental perspective for people who were fans of whatever team is in the city, not the franchise, but....the Titans were the Oilers. Of course the Titans would have those throwbacks, if anyone did, not the Texans. It's like saying the Ravens should have a white and blue throwback with a horse on it. City =/= franchise.

It's a very unique dynamic - not many fans of many teams outright lost their team. Cleveland fans lost THE team in a sense, but kept the naming rights, records, etc. Los Angeles lost the Rams, but then got them back, so that's a wash. 

The Oilers identity is part of Houston as much as anything else. I mean, how much oil are you going to find in Nashville vs Houston (home base of companies such as Chevron/Texaco, Shell, ConocoPhillips, etc). And... isn't a teams' logo nothing more than a sentimental/historical aspect of the city at large? Would the 49ers make sense in Connecticut? Would the name "Cowboys" work in Florida? Would it make sense to never rename Kansas City, and that franchise still be called the Texans?

A logo means nothing if nobody in the area is really buying into it - holds no value to anyone (New Orleans Hornets, for example). You have to sell it to the fanbase (from the Hornets to the Pelicans, the state bird of Louisiana) to even get anything out of it to begin with.

The Oilers mean nothing to Nashville. But, it means a whole lot to Houston.

4 hours ago, pwny said:

Then why not do what Baltimore has done? They didn’t need to wear Colts jerseys to put Johnny Unitas, Lenny Moore, Art Donovan, Jim Parker, Raymond Berry, Ted Hendricks, John Mackey and Gino Marchetti in the Ravens Ring of Honor and celebrate their contributions to the city’s history, nor was the horseshoe and blue and white needed to effectively retire #19. 

The Colts color scheme and logo are currently in use, that's why Baltimore doesn't use it. The Oilers logo/color scheme is just collecting dust at this point. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a ROH spot for former Oilers, for the record.

The Houston Texans/Oilers and Tennessee Titans/Oilers dynamic is eerily similar to the Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens one. The city of Cleveland sued Modell over the "Browns", preventing him from using the Baltimore Browns, which he planned on doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns_relocation_controversy?scrlybrkr=1c87236b

Subsequent legal actions by the city of Cleveland and Browns season ticket holders led the NFL to broker a compromise that saw the Browns history, records, and intellectual property remain in Cleveland.

I don't believe that Houston was able to get the same deal, since they were the Tennessee Oilers for a year. Is this correct?

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don't believe that Houston was able to get the same deal, since they were the Tennessee Oilers for a year. Is this correct?

Just reminds me of how stupid Tennessee's slogan is these days.

#TitanUp

Lmfao

42 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Those are so ugly that I thought it was some type of new XFL, Arena league, or jerseys from some type of movie that didn't pay for NFL rights (Any Given Sunday or the Replacements).

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

The Houston Texans/Oilers and Tennessee Titans/Oilers dynamic is eerily similar to the Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens one. The city of Cleveland sued Modell over the "Browns", preventing him from using the Baltimore Browns, which he planned on doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns_relocation_controversy?scrlybrkr=1c87236b

I don't think it was a point of discussion, as it was never guaranteed Houston would even GET another team - remember that the 32nd franchise was more or less positioned to go to Los Angeles, until Bob McNair put in close to $1B to get into the discussion.

I think if there was some belief that Houston would get another football team back then, there would have been an effort to retain the naming rights and color schemes.

Teams move.  Houston ain't gonna get the throwbacks, and they aren't entitled to them.  Celebrate the old Oilers players if you want, no one's stopping you, but the players wearing Oilers uniforms just really makes the whole base look like a little sibling throwing a fit.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Teams move.  Houston ain't gonna get the throwbacks, and they aren't entitled to them.  Celebrate the old Oilers players if you want, no one's stopping you, but the players wearing Oilers uniforms just really makes the whole base look like a little sibling throwing a fit.

Wait, wait, wait - who is throwing a fit? 

Just now, Daniel said:

The metaphorical little sibling.

I think the general response in Houston is is "Oh well - would be cool, but it's not gonna happen. How about them Rockets, you think they can beat Golden State? Also, when do you think the bats are going to wake up?

Any sort of venom towards the Titans has moreso to do with them being a division rival. 

Just now, ET80 said:

I think the general response in Houston is is "Oh well - would be cool, but it's not gonna happen. How about them Rockets, you think they can beat Golden State? Also, when do you think the bats are going to wake up?

Any sort of venom towards the Titans has moreso to do with them being a division rival. 

Yeah that makes sense.  It seems there's more venom through secondhand sources either direction than from the actual fanbases.

For what it's worth, when I'm going through Titans players and history, I don't bring up Earl Campbell and Warren Moon typically, because I'd be lying if I said I gave two craps about the franchise before it came to Tennessee.

Archived