Show me the money!, say 20 Hall of Famers

vike daddy

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Their ratings are increasing every year regardless of being top heavy, their players are not going to strike and genuinely love their commissioner. Less issues with safety and no suppression of protests, gaining sponsorship, global sport vs just regional like NFL. Nah man, disagree completely. NFL just seems to have more and more things against it as time goes on. NFL is literally tanking its own brand with everything going on. It's a matter of time.

The problems with the NFL are miniscule compared to the NBAs...they just get more magnified.  The NBA has zero competitive balance, too many meaningless games, and no common fan can afford a ticket to it.  The NBA is closer to MLB in popularity than the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Then why is the NFL responsible for paying these guys anything just because they entered into the Hall of Fame? See the problem? 

Because they aren't getting what they need from the NFLPA.  You have to use the resources you have or go after all the avenues you can to get what you need.  I have no issue with them going that route...it's not probably the best solution, nor is it the right avenue that will eventually take it on, but when there is clearly a need that isn't being met, you have to yell and scream at anyone and everyone who has some vested interest or that can help.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Because they aren't getting what they need from the NFLPA.  You have to use the resources you have or go after all the avenues you can to get what you need.  I have no issue with them going that route...it's not probably the best solution, nor is it the right avenue that will eventually take it on, but when there is clearly a need that isn't being met, you have to yell and scream at anyone and everyone who has some vested interest or that can help.  

It's a bad look to try this specifically for the Hall of famers, in my opinion. I get that they may want more as former retired players, that's just not how this is coming off. This is coming off as "we were better than the others, we deserve more", and I have a problem with that. 

Don't disagree that retired players probably deserve more, and should try to exhaust every avenue to get what they can, just don't think that this is the way nor do I think it's a great look for those players. 

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

The problems with the NFL are miniscule compared to the NBAs...they just get more magnified.  The NBA has zero competitive balance, too many meaningless games, and no common fan can afford a ticket to it.  The NBA is closer to MLB in popularity than the NFL. 

You're not getting it. The lack of a competitive balance has not decreased viewers at all, it has had the opposite effect. Not to mention any game with the Buffalo Bills playing in it is completely meaningless.

The NBA has longer seasons with more games and prices per game are actually cheaper depending on the city you're talking about and section of seat.

The NBA may be closer to the MLB now, but we are seeing a shift. NFL at it's peaking had 57% of sports fan say football was their favorite sport. Now that number is down to 37% with everything going on and I believe will continue to fall with new safety rules implemented this year. The players already stated they will be holding out the next CBA and it's going to time perfectly with the new XFL and AFL. They only have market share to lose and nothing left to gain after hitting their peak in 06-07.

NBA is at 11%, but that number is rising and does not factor in Global popularity where it is second to soccer and NFL is practically non-existent outside of the US.

This is stupid. I can see healthcare, but a salary too? “As a group we are struggling with severe...financial problems.” Well geeze morons, maybe if you weren’t ignorant and stupid with your money you wouldn’t have that problem. To be amongst the highest paid players in the league and then to come crying for more money is ridiculous. They have no one to blame but themselves for the financial “difficulties” they’re facing. And also, what about all the non-HoFers you just slapped in the face that are responsible for putting you on your pedastal? So classy of you to blow them off. Gtfo.

28 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Because, like Florio says all the time, people are outraged at the players for asking for a pittance while the owners can make billions and there's not a peep.  

This comes across as more of a greed move than anything.  I mean, Sanders and Warner work for the NFL Network.  Are they really struggling with money?   

If this had anything to do with a legitimate concern for players after football, it wouldn't be exclusive to Hall of Famers and would probably be looked at differently.

Although its funny to me that Owens was lambasted all offseason for not attending the Hall of Fame... only for a large group of Hall of Famers to threaten to not attend if certain conditions aren't met.

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

lol what? The NBA is the most sustainable league and is way more popular than the MLB.

Why should anyone be paid when they aren't working? I'm not a fan of the premise of a pension period in any line of work. But considering these guys never had the foresight to consider that while they were playing and are only now asking for it? They'll get no sympathy from me. If the current players wanted to work out a deal that where players upon retirement are to receive X amount of money over Y number of years, that's fine. 

But it's not like they should be making 50K+ every year for the rest of their lives while doing nothing.

52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm surprised at the outrage over this from you guys. these HOF's, along with other players, made the game what it is. the NFL owners are worth billions. why shouldn't they get a pension?

you work at the Post Office sorting mail and you get a pension.

Every player who accrues at least 3 years in the league gets a FULL PENSION. It's already there! There is nothing else the NFL or NFLPA are legally required to do. 

As I said before, where else can you work for THREE years and get a FULL PENSION?! 

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Health Care I agree with you guys. Everyone who plays X amount of time in the league should have healthcare costs covered for them, but Salary? Mitch please.

Totally agree here. Exactly my feelings as well.  If you play 3 or 4 years of football (whatever they agree upon) you should have lifetime health insurance, simple as that.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i'm surprised at the outrage over this from you guys. these HOF's, along with other players, made the game what it is. the NFL owners are worth billions. why shouldn't they get a pension?

you work at the Post Office sorting mail and you get a pension.

The difference is that when you take a job at the post office, you do it with the knowledge that a pension is part of the package.  A pension was not part of the package 30-50 years ago in the NFL, yet these players still voluntarily took the job.  They weren't drafted into service.  They also didn't mind the fame and adulation that came with being a great football player. 

Furthermore, many of these Hall of Famers have able to take that fame and turn it into other opportunities after they left the game.  For example, I don't doubt that Alan Page was a good lawyer, but I also feel very confident in believing that his Hall of Fame NFL career in Minnesota helped to open the door for his becoming a Supreme Court justice in the same State.  Did it not keep that door open every time he came up for election as well?  I know I have voted for him more than once not because of what I know of his abilities as a judge, but instead because he is one of my favorite Vikings.  He is on the other side of the political aisle as I am, but I still voted for him.  He is just one example.

Another glaring example of this would be OJ Simpson.  Does anyone honestly believe he got his movie parts because he was such a good actor?  I sure don't.  

So, my point is that if these players agreed to work a job for a certain compensation package, it is not fair for them to come back years later with their hands out just because the package has changed for people doing the same job today.

On the other side of it, could the NFL not also respond by saying that these Hall of Famers profited later in life from the prestige of being associated with the shield.  Would it not be out of the question for them to then say "we want part of the profits OJ made in his acting roles, because there is no way he would have gotten them were it not for us?"  It would be a lousy thing to do - even to OJ, but in my opinion, it's not much different than what the Hall of Famers are trying to do to their former employer.

The point is, You don't get to come back years after the fact and change the deal.

28 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Totally agree here. Exactly my feelings as well.  If you play 3 or 4 years of football (whatever they agree upon) you should have lifetime health insurance, simple as that.

That and any long-term injuries that occurred while in the league should be covered if you don't make it to that point.

Archived