2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

2 plays is a small sample size.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/04/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-jachai-polite/

Competitive Toughness – Plays with his hair on fire and makes tons of plays in pursuit. Aggressive and physical, despite winning more as a finesse pass rusher. Effort and motor are consistently top-notch.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Jachai-Polite.asp

Polite's motor is always running, and he displays a willingness to play the game with aggression and physicality.

Say what you want about Polite but to knock his motor and effort is a really bad take. I'd say outside of his flexibility/burst that his motor is his greatest strength. Again, agree to disagree but I'd have a hard time finding an edge prospect this year with a more consistent motor (Bosa's right there).

10 minutes ago, deathstar said:

1549118349139982.gif?1549118359

15491184971483795.gif?1549118504

I don't have a lot of time but this was just from watching him for the first minute of one game. I understand that people have lauded his motor but these are the things that I see when I'm not impressed by it.

Staying home and not abandoning his gap on the read option?

11 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I don't have a lot of time but this was just from watching him for the first minute of one game. I understand that people have lauded his motor but these are the things that I see when I'm not impressed by it.

Looks pretty assignment sure to me. Many, many more plays show the contrary. Like I said, knock Polite for his size, strength, sure. But his motor? No way. I'd suggest you watch more than the first minute of one game.

4 minutes ago, gopackgo27 said:

Like I said, knock Polite for his size, strength, sure. But his motor? No way. I'd suggest you watch more than the first minute of one game.

You are correct.

He was the best player on the Gators D and led by example by playing as hard as any of his teammates. 

12 minutes ago, deathstar said:

When the ball is at his level in those gifs he stops and watches his teammates tackle. That's what I'm seeing t here.

You're being unrealistic in your expectations. You'll see the same thing on film for every edge player you scout. No one is going to sprint to ball every time. Also he has outside contain on the QB there, so if he does, he's going to give up a big play.

I'm not the one who did the initial scouting, I only commented that 2 plays aren't a big sample size, then watched 1 minute of a thing on youtube and showed what I saw. Maybe my expectations aren't realistic but I don't think it's as cut and dry as it's being made out to be.

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

Did you want him to jump on the pile and draw a penalty? Would that have changed your mind? 

12 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did you want him to jump on the pile and draw a penalty? Would that have changed your mind? 

Yeah I'm not sure what Polite is supposed to do there. Maybe thrust his leg in and get it snapped off? Hop on top for ****s and giggles? Throw a smoke bomb and appear suddenly on the other side?

Just now, Kepler said:

Yeah I'm not sure what Polite is supposed to do there. Maybe thrust his leg in and get it snapped off? Hop on top for ****s and giggles? Throw a smoke bomb and appear suddenly on the other side?

Got it. How about this: point me to some time stamps that demonstrate what you like about his hustle?

6 hours ago, Bang! said:

In reviewing various draft analysis of EDGE rushers projected to go in the 1st Round, I've seen some experts say that Clelin Ferrell is strictly a 4-3 DE. Is this an accurate assessment of the type of player he is? If he were to fall to 12, is he someone that we consider passing on because of the limitations he has on the EDGE or can he succeed without having his hand in the dirt?  Given the questions surrounding Ferrell and Polite, does Brian Burns become the better prospect given our defensive scheme? I tend to see Burns fall into the next tier of EDGE rushers down when compared with Ferrell, Polite, and even Sweat but in comparing notes its hard to find something not to like with Burns. Thoughts?

I’ve watched Bama 17, Bama 18, Texas a&m, Pitt, BC. 

STRICTLY is a strong word. Best in a 43? Yes. Can we take him at 12? I haven’t seen enough to say for sure he’s the last of the tier 1 Edge guys and that’s my criteria for strong consideration. I’m certain he will be a first round pick.

Those pass rush skills will still be just as effective in a 3-4. He’s got a murderous get off. That classic long spring that launches. He’s got 265 strength for 4 quarters. He’ll get into a Tackles inside shoulder and drive him. He has a swim and a spin. He knows how to close and flatten out his arch. He doesn’t have Josh Allen’s agility (bend, CoD), but he is athletic and moved around. He switches sides of the field. He dropped into coverage both standing up and from a 3 pt stance. He’s gonna occupy the zone he’s supposed to. I didn’t see zip for man coverage off the top of my head, and I’m not sure how that’ll fit with Pettine. 

Archived