Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

Vernon to the Browns for Zeitler, damn...I would like both of those players on our team. Can FA start already so I can feel good that we are at least doing something to better this team. I'm glad up this point we haven't been in the AB sweepstakes but I'm getting restless haha. There seems to be some players available for trade at rather low cost that we could definitely use (Bennett not being one of them).

6 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Vernon to the Browns for Zeitler, damn...I would like both of those players on our team. Can FA start already so I can feel good that we are at least doing something to better this team. I'm glad up this point we haven't been in the AB sweepstakes but I'm getting restless haha. There seems to be some players available for trade at rather low cost that we could definitely use (Bennett not being one of them).

Ohhhh, so THAT was the big CLE/NYG deal that was being discussed? Lol, good for the Giants improving that OL. Got to give the rookie QB they draft the best chance to succeed. 

7 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Think it's a great trade for the Giants

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Think it's a great trade for the Giants

I agree, I get it and understand the line of thinking for both teams and see the benefit. Giants offense better be able to score at will though cause who do they even have at defense anymore in the middle of a scheme transition to boot. Going to be rough this year for that team to stop opposing offenses. Not to say with Vernon they were a formidable defense but losing him doesn't help. Vernon, Collins, Harrison, JPP, Apple among other depth players all gone in a matter of a year.

Edited by Fureys49ers

33 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I agree, I get it and understand the line of thinking for both teams and see the benefit. Giants offense better be able to score at will though cause who do they even have at defense anymore in the middle of a scheme transition to boot. Going to be rough this year for that team to stop opposing offenses. Not to say with Vernon they were a formidable defense but losing him doesn't help. Vernon, Collins, Harrison, JPP, Apple among other depth players all gone in a matter of a year.

The weird thing is that they have a decided lack of cap space for such a bad team and limited options to gain it if they insist on this silliness of still paying Eli. OBJ doesn't save them anything. They saved 1.5 on this trade, but after that, it's like Rhett Ellison at 3.5 and maybe Corey Coleman at 2M and that's kind of it. They can save 7+ by dumping Jenkins, but you're seriously going to dump another defender? Especially in a poor corner market? They also lack a third round pick from last year's supplemental. 

They could actually get some nice, quality pieces on the cheap I think in this FA class, but they really don't have the money to do it if they are keeping Eli. I don't know, maybe 30M is enough to get things done, but I feel like they could actually construct an okay team with spare parts with the bones that they have (outside of quarterback)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Not interested in Bennett. Too much baggage to justify the talent.

Yeah, if he wants more money maybe he should just write another book or accuse cops of misconduct and sue 

17 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I have a question for you, sir. You're an educator, am I remembering that right? Smart guy... scholar and all that stuff... 

You must have the ability to elaborate to a level of communication that exceeds simple use of an emoticon, yes yes?  :P 

Those darn hieroglyphs!!

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Should be noted that OTC put out a tweet with nominally different figures - had us at 66M currently. 

Plenty of money for ET, Barrett and a starting LB next to Warner. Make it happen Lynch and Shanny. Those three additions plus maybe a depth signing on offense at IOL, WR, TE would be an ideal FA period for us and still likely leave us a decent amount of space for extensions and additions next year. I figure 12-15 for ET, 10-15 for an EDGE and 10-15 for a LB (playing it safe and betting on the heavy side) plus 3-8 mil for an addition on offense still leaves us with probably close to 20 mil headed into next year and that's before AA's 9 mil comes off the books.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

Tashaun Gipson was cut. I think I would rather pay him 5 million than pay ET 12 million. Obviously ET is the better player, but Gipson is a solid starter 

Gipson instantly becomes my fall back if we don't land ET, I still prefer ET for 3 years at 12 mil since our defense is so young we wont need that money before then anyhow, but Gipson is an above average centerfield type for sure who is only 28 and as you pointed out would be much cheaper. This safety market is crazy though, will be interesting to see if thats who, Gipson that is, the Cowboys target since they don't necessarily have the cap space to acquire ET comfortably. Jags just cleared 30 mil off their books with all their cuts this morning though, and most of their team still intact.

Edited by Fureys49ers

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

Tashaun Gipson was cut. I think I would rather pay him 5 million than pay ET 12 million. Obviously ET is the better player, but Gipson is a solid starter 

I'll pass on that. We need more than just "solid" at the FS position to really have this defense playing up to its potential. 

• Like 1