Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll post what I posted in the News forum when Papa asked that: 

It's possible that we could have jumped in late there. On the field the pairing makes a ton of sense. But honestly, I find it to be odd timing giving a lot of the receivers balled out at the combine and would be premiere targets at #36. There's no way we left the combine and were like, "yeah, I don't want any of these guys at #36". That would just be bizarre, in my opinion. Then of course there are the antics to consider, and given the the rumors going on about the interviews we were handing out at the combine, that seems to be a pretty big thing for us right now after the Foster debacle, so that part of this equation really doesn't make a bunch of sense for us

Possibly, but the difference here is Brown is obviously a proven elite player who has done it at the highest level. Before this year, we didn't really hear any off the field issues or baggage from Brown. Obviously the way he has dealt with this situation is less than ideal. But either way, by the end of the 2nd round, we should have a WR. Could be through the draft or even prior to the draft via a trade. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Possibly, but the difference here is Brown is obviously a proven elite player who has done it at the highest level. Before this year, we didn't really hear any off the field issues or baggage from Brown. Obviously the way he has dealt with this situation is less than ideal. But either way, by the end of the 2nd round, we should have a WR. Could be through the draft or even prior to the draft via a trade. 

The thing that I wonder about is how Lynch feels about what Brown did at the end of last year. We know that Lynch himself doesn't take kindly to "quitters" based on the fact that he had completely removed Williams from the draft board and had to be convinced by Shanny. Does he consider what Brown did last year to be quitting? How does he feel about how outspoken and critical Brown has been about his own teammates (particularly his quarterback) since this debacle went down? I feel like these are things that would really bug Lynch, a former player. Just my gut though. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that I wonder about is how Lynch feels about what Brown did at the end of last year. We know that Lynch himself doesn't take kindly to "quitters" based on the fact that he had completely removed Williams from the draft board and had to be convinced by Shanny. Does he consider what Brown did last year to be quitting? How does he feel about how outspoken and critical Brown has been about his own teammates (particularly his quarterback) since this debacle went down? I feel like these are things that would really bug Lynch, a former player. Just my gut though. 

Possibly, but one thing that would work in Brown's favor here is that Lynch has played with big personalities throughout his career and they were still successful. But he would also have to think we have the right leaders on this football team to make sure things don't escalate. 

But fair to say we are certainly in the WR market. Let's see what develops on the OBJ front. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Dear 49ers,

Offer pick #2 and end this Brown thing. 

Sincerely, 

Your friends,

Raiders fans

Offer #2 to who exactly? You guys? In a trade back? No way SF does that with Bosa potentially on the board. They may trade back if they get OBJ in the process, but losing out on potentailly both Bosa and Allen? I don't know about that. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Offer #2 to who exactly? You guys? In a trade back? No way SF does that with Bosa potentially on the board. They may trade back if they get OBJ in the process, but losing out on potentailly both Bosa and Allen? I don't know about that. 

No, offer #2 straight up for Brown. Before Gruden does something crazy.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Offer #2 for Brown? Why in the blue hell would we do that????

By all accounts, seems like the Raiders are a big favorite for Brown's services. 49ers would never give up a #2 overall pick for a WR, even if it was someone like OBJ. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Possibly, but one thing that would work in Brown's favor here is that Lynch has played with big personalities throughout his career and they were still successful. But he would also have to think we have the right leaders on this football team to make sure things don't escalate. 

But fair to say we are certainly in the WR market. Let's see what develops on the OBJ front. 

Lynch knows how to deal with players having been one and as you said has dealt with big personalities while playing. Shanahan can scheme most any WR or skill player into production so I would assume AB would get his targets and stats. Hopefully AB comes in with the attitude of "us against the world, and I'll prove everyone wrong" benefiting us. With Sherman and newly acquired Earl Thomas on board hopefully AB will have players to vent to, set him straight when he gets frustrated, and form a comradery with as older, great players with personalities. I'm still not in favor of acquiring AB but merely throwing things out from maybe the other side of the argument.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Haha, I don't think that you have to worry about that. I feel like at most, you're giving up your second rounder. And honestly, while I don't love it from a perspective of where the raiders are at roster / team building wise, in a vacuum it's not a bad deal. It would basically break down to a trade up of 8 picks or whatever from the second round to late first + Brown for Cooper. Despite what anyone else says, there's no way anyone on this forum would have said no to that deal last year (the only way they would is by letting what Cooper did to end the year with Dallas influence them now, which is kind of the point - you can't do that). It'd be a fine deal. LIS, I Don't love it from a standpoint of where the team is at, but meh, whatever.