Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

51 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He's a better pass-rusher from the edge yes, but he's not a Leo. He's more of a hybrid strong-side DE/3-Tech. In his prime, yeah he was a pretty good edge defender. Those days are gone though. In his prime, he's who you hope Thomas develops into from a pass-rushing perspective. But as a full-time Leo, I think you're asking too much of him at this stage in his career.

Griffen isn't a LEO in the sense he's a hard corner bender...but he's certainly not a 3 tech. He is a straight up edge rusher who can be downright dominant.

That said, I'm super leerry given his age, injuries and mental health concerns. Though, if we have the plan and support in place, then I think he could be a really great addition with our rookie edge player. 

56 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He's a better pass-rusher from the edge yes, but he's not a Leo. He's more of a hybrid strong-side DE/3-Tech. In his prime, yeah he was a pretty good edge defender. Those days are gone though. In his prime, he's who you hope Thomas develops into from a pass-rushing perspective. But as a full-time Leo, I think you're asking too much of him at this stage in his career.

Griffen adds another pass rusher and he is still pretty damn good off the edge. Was having his way with Staley last year.in the 2nd half of the game.

We can still take Bosa at #2 or Josh Allen or whoever. More than anything, we need to add multiple edge rushers.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Griffen adds another pass rusher and he is still pretty damn good off the edge. Was having his way with Staley last year.in the 2nd half of the game.

We can still take Bosa at #2 or Josh Allen or whoever. More than anything, we need to add multiple edge rushers.  

And as long as the compensation isn't higher than a 6th like it is being thought of, I'm in line with this thinking. However I would like to see some maybe, smarter or atleast more effective veteran additions brought in by this regime, hasn't been great so far.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He didn't look great when he returned to the Vikes last year after his time away from the team. I understand he had like 13 sacks in 2017 but that was two years ago. Plus, the mental health thing gives me considerable pause. As a plantoon guy on the edge, I can see it but I would hope that he's more of a fall-back plan than anything else. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

He didn't look great when he returned to the Vikes last year after his time away from the team. I understand he had like 13 sacks in 2017 but that was two years ago. Plus, the mental health thing gives me considerable pause. As a plantoon guy on the edge, I can see it but I would hope that he's more of a fall-back plan than anything else. 

What was wrong with how he looked after he came back? He was fine. Was he dominant 2017 self? No, but if he doesn't miss those games he probably has double digit sacks once again. 

E Griffen? I like the production but am very wary (note I did not use "weary" which many here try to use when they mean "wary" :P ) of the mental issues...if we can get him for a conditional pick, such as 7th with production/play time improving it to a 6th or something like that, I guess it becomes acceptable. Did he make that big of an impression on our staff in the first game or something?!

But why not go after Houston who is absolutely FREE!?!?! O.o 

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

But why not go after Houston who is absolutely FREE!?!?! O.o 

Good question. I'd be happy with either since I imagine compensation would be low for Griffin, but I would have Houston in the building by now. 

• Like 2