Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I didn't buy the Cowboys being a major threat unless ET was willing to take a big discount anyways. 

I wonder if the Colts try to pair him with Hooker or are they bit too similar? 

Browns possibly? Packers? Who is our biggest threat for his services? 

I’d say Packers and Cowboys were always are biggest threats. Cowboys don’t quite have the cash it would seem but the Packers new regime has appeared more aggressive in FA and I think most of them were around when Charles Woodson was brought in and saw what he provided. I know the coaching staff is different but the FO guys I think were TT understudies. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I didn't buy the Cowboys being a major threat unless ET was willing to take a big discount anyways. 

Texans? Tons of space, honey badger is a free agent, still in Texas

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Colts should go all in. Especially while some of those rooks last year are still on their initial contract. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Texans? Tons of space, honey badger is a free agent, still in Texas

Rumors are that the Texans want Mathieu back bad before FA period even begins. So hopefully that happens for them.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Colts should go all in. Especially while some of those rooks last year are still on their initial contract. 

I think ET is a little similar to Hooker in terms of playing style, although they are both well above average at what they do, but after Geathers leaving or atleast hitting FA this year I think the Colts are more likely to sign a SS then another FS. Someone like Collins or Amos.

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

ESPN's Michael Rothstein puts the Lions' chances of re-signing free agent DE Ezekiel Ansah at "five percent."

In other words, Ansah is fully expected to walk in free agency after spending six years in Detroit as the former No. 5 overall pick. A durable, high-quality player his first four years with the Lions, Ansah has become a major injury risk after multiple shoulder surgeries. He's missed 11 games over the last two years. Ansah turns 30 in May and is expected to command more money on a weal free-agent pass-rusher market than the Lions are willing to pay him.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I'll take Ansah at a prove it price and sign ET to a 3 year front loaded deal with an option for us on a 4th year. 

I do like Weddle, but how much does he have left? Could Landon Collins play LB instead? Would he?

Weddle has not been good on the field. Obviously, he's Eric Weddle so the intangible stuff is really nice, but he's not a guy he should be targeting. 

Landon could easily play a money backer role for this team if that is something we are willing to continue to incorporate (can't remember us using it last year, which is a shame given how well it was put into place the year before with Reid), but I don't think that's a likely option. I just dont' think that you're going to pay a guy a ton of money for that type of niche role, and he's not an ideal fit for our safety play. I suppose the option would be that we would sign him to take Tartt's role at SS while shifting Tartt over to FS, but I dont' love that idea. Particularly given what an issue that spot has been for us and Tartt's injury concerns. 

I've basically already said, I'm throwing 4/ 60 at ET with about 35 - 40 guaranteed. Have no issue with that type of deal for him. 

Ansah makes a lot of sense for us in some regards. Obviously Mayhew being here is one. Second is the power aspect comment from Lynch that I posted in the draft thread. I don't know how much weight to put into that comment, but seemed peculiar that Lynch brought that up first when discussing pass rushing traits (especially in a wide 9 front, where I would covet speed more than power since the wide alignment is utilized to give the defender more space and room to work with). Ziggy certainly has power.  I don't know about Ziggy's fit in a wide 9 front now at his age / injury history, though he did play in that alignment  and for Kocurek for several years with the Lions, so again, another thing that could make this pairing make sense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Any chance we are one of the three teams that have jumped in the AB race or has that ship sailed? Raiders still seem like the favorites, but the other two originally reported interested teams have dropped out. 

I'll post what I posted in the News forum when Papa asked that: 

It's possible that we could have jumped in late there. On the field the pairing makes a ton of sense. But honestly, I find it to be odd timing giving a lot of the receivers balled out at the combine and would be premiere targets at #36. There's no way we left the combine and were like, "yeah, I don't want any of these guys at #36". That would just be bizarre, in my opinion. Then of course there are the antics to consider, and given the the rumors going on about the interviews we were handing out at the combine, that seems to be a pretty big thing for us right now after the Foster debacle, so that part of this equation really doesn't make a bunch of sense for us

• Like 1