Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

Just now, tyler735 said:

I listed them as a 3 way tie at number 1 as each of them have arguments.

Bro.  1a is ahead of 1b.  When someone says someone is 1a and another person is 1b.... it's understood that the person that is 1a is ahead of the person that is 1b.  That's not a tie.

Just now, showtime said:

Bro.  1a is ahead of 1b.  When someone says someone is 1a and another person is 1b.... it's understood that the person that is 1a is ahead of the person that is 1b.  That's not a tie.

Bro. If someone says someone is 1, 2, or 3, it is understood that they are ranked in numerical order. If you are indicating 1a, 1b, or 1c it can certainly be taken that they are ranked equally at number 1

Just now, tyler735 said:

Bro. If someone says someone is 1, 2, or 3, it is understood that they are ranked in numerical order. If you are indicating 1a, 1b, or 1c it can certainly be taken that they are ranked equally at number 1

That's like if someone asks who is the best QB in the league.  If you say Tom Brady is 1a and Aaron Rodgers is 1b, that means you're saying that it's extremely close, but you would put Brady ever so slightly ahead of Rodgers.  The "1" says that you think they're the two best and very close.  The "a" and "b" shows the slight difference between the two.

So when you say Kamara is 1a and Gurley is 1b, that's equivalent to you saying Kamara is the best and Gurley is very slightly behind. 

• Like 2

Just now, showtime said:

That's like if someone asks who is the best QB in the league.  If you say Tom Brady is 1a and Aaron Rodgers is 1b, that means you're saying that it's extremely close, but you would put Brady ever so slightly ahead of Rodgers.  The "1" says that you think they're the two best and very close.  The "a" and "b" shows the slight difference between the two.

So when you say Kamara is 1a and Gurley is 1b, that's equivalent to you saying Kamara is the best and Gurley is very slightly behind. 

No that is me saying they are all ranked the same at this point, and I've seen it posted like this in several different sporting rankings. If that is your definition of it fair enough, but like I said I have them all ranked together as elite RB's with each having different arguments for being the best and am not going to get any further into this ridiculous semantics debate with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

No that is me saying they are all ranked the same at this point, and I've seen it posted like this in several different sporting rankings. If that is your definition of it fair enough, but like I said I have them all ranked together as elite RB's with each having different arguments for being the best and am not going to get any further into this ridiculous semantics debate with you.

The reason I'm saying this is because this is a forum and a thread specifically about comparisons.  To say that three individual running backs are equal is a cop out.  It's a fence sitting position.  Say who is the best, then who is second best and finally third best.  We all know from watching these guys play that Todd Gurley is the best player at the running back position in the league.  I don't care who is ranked second, third, fourth, etc; Gurley is the best.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

The reason I'm saying this is because this is a forum and a thread specifically about comparisons.  To say that three individual running backs are equal is a cop out.  It's a fence sitting position.  Say who is the best, then who is second best and finally third best.  We all know from watching these guys play that Todd Gurley is the best player at the running back position in the league.  I don't care who is ranked second, third, fourth, etc; Gurley is the best.

That is like your opinion "bro", so no, WE all do not know that at this time. Also I can certainly take my position at this time, as I've already stated arguments can be made for all 3 of them. Even with it being a "comparison forum", my position can be equal it doesn't have to be clear cut someone is better than the other. Maybe down the road later this season, or in the coming years it will clear up on MY rankings as a clear cut number 1.

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

Showtime showing why he’s the mvp. What sig would you like sir. As a token. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, El ramster said:

Don’t love Melvin. I get that he’s putting up numbers. But as talent goes! He’s by the back burner. There are 5-8 more talented guys than him out there. 

How so? What talent does he lack? He lines up at the x and z and catches the ball down the field, catches out of backfield, has speed to run outside, has the power to run inside. His balance after contact is as good as ive seen since AD's prime. His agility is great in making cuts or sudden moves, solid blocker. Plus his production says it all. All behind a worse run blocking oline than any of the other top guys. He definitely is in the top 3 or 5 tier. 

Plus he is splitting touches with one of the better RB2's 8n the league. Just not sure what talent he lacks that others have. He doesnt fumble.. where do you see a glaring weakness that separates kam, bell and gurley from him. 

Edited by Toonishung13

8 hours ago, Toonishung13 said:

How so? What talent does he lack? He lines up at the x and z and catches the ball down the field, catches out of backfield, has speed to run outside, has the power to run inside. His balance after contact is as good as ive seen since AD's prime. His agility is great in making cuts or sudden moves, solid blocker. Plus his production says it all. All behind a worse run blocking oline than any of the other top guys. He definitely is in the top 3 or 5 tier. 

Plus he is splitting touches with one of the better RB2's 8n the league. Just not sure what talent he lacks that others have. He doesnt fumble.. where do you see a glaring weakness that separates kam, bell and gurley from him. 

The last 3 years lack of production running wise. 

Edited by El ramster

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

The last 3 years lack of production running wise. 

If we just compare Gurley to Gordon, because guys like Kamara have only played 1 full season, Bell has missed games and so has Ezekel. 

From 2016 to now.

Gurley - 686 carries, 2813 yds, 4.1 ya 28 tds

128 recs, 1362 yds, 10.6 yr and 8 tds.

Gordon - 629 carries, 2568, 4.1 yp, 24 tds

129 recs, 1174 yds, 9.1 yr and 9 tds. 

The numbers are close and since 2016 to now, they are 2nd and 5th in rushing yds, 1st and 2nd in total tds, 1st and 3rd in rushing tds and 1st and 4th in yds from scrimmage. This with Gordon having one of the weaker olines. 

12 hours ago, El ramster said:

Showtime showing why he’s the mvp. What sig would you like sir. As a token. 

Thanks for the offer, but it's all good.  I have never even made sigs viewable since this forum was created.  I'll probably enable them to see what sigs everyone is wearing.

15 minutes ago, Toonishung13 said:

If we just compare Gurley to Gordon, because guys like Kamara have only played 1 full season, Bell has missed games and so has Ezekel. 

From 2016 to now.

Gurley - 686 carries, 2813 yds, 4.1 ya 28 tds

128 recs, 1362 yds, 10.6 yr and 8 tds.

Gordon - 629 carries, 2568, 4.1 yp, 24 tds

129 recs, 1174 yds, 9.1 yr and 9 tds. 

The numbers are close and since 2016 to now, they are 2nd and 5th in rushing yds, 1st and 2nd in total tds, 1st and 3rd in rushing tds and 1st and 4th in yds from scrimmage. This with Gordon having one of the weaker olines. 

Why not post the real numbers?

Todd Gurley, 50 games played.. 49 Games started.. 3,919 Yards.. 4.3 YPC.. 38 Rushing TD's.. 1,550 Receiving yards.. 10.4 YPR.. 8 TDs.. 1,064 Touches..

Melvin Gordon, 49 games played, 46 Games started.. 3,209 Yards.. 3.9 YPC.. 24 Rushing TD's.. 1,366 Receiving yards.. 8.4 YPR.. 9 TDs.. 975 Torches.. 

So Todd has 5,469 Yards.. 5.1 Yards PER TOUCH. 

Melvin has 4,575 Yards.. 4.6 Yards PER TOUCH. 

So with 89 more touches Todd has, 894 more yards... 

That's a gap. And that's with Todds hideous second year. 

2 hours ago, El ramster said:

Why not post the real numbers?

Todd Gurley, 50 games played.. 49 Games started.. 3,919 Yards.. 4.3 YPC.. 38 Rushing TD's.. 1,550 Receiving yards.. 10.4 YPR.. 8 TDs.. 1,064 Touches..

Melvin Gordon, 49 games played, 46 Games started.. 3,209 Yards.. 3.9 YPC.. 24 Rushing TD's.. 1,366 Receiving yards.. 8.4 YPR.. 9 TDs.. 975 Torches.. 

So Todd has 5,469 Yards.. 5.1 Yards PER TOUCH. 

Melvin has 4,575 Yards.. 4.6 Yards PER TOUCH. 

So with 89 more touches Todd has, 894 more yards... 

That's a gap. And that's with Todds hideous second year. 

I posted their real numbers. You added their rookie years, i just went from 16 to current. Its a more accurate guage of their current play capturing a recent screen shot of their production.  If you move the marker further back, yes you can create a gap. By why move the marker? We can even just look at this year and see Gordon is right there. So saying there is 8 more talented RB's is just not accurate at all. Especially when you are using production to guage talent. If so, is there 8 more productive RBs than Gordon this year? In our current state, Gordon has to be looked at as top 3, considering this year he is top 3 in production, no?