Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Question for you running back aficionados:

What does Mixon have to do to enter this conversation?

Not saying he's in the conversation or deserves to be. I'm just legitimately asking. 

He needs to keep on his current path. He's a special player. 

On 10/4/2018 at 10:06 PM, Calvert28 said:

You say not being more involved in the passing game is a knock against a RB when the main point of a RB is to rush the ball.

Main point? Barely. I'd say it's a 60/40 split in most offenses today. 

Just because he is not utilized more as a scat back is no knock against the player.

Yes it is. He has a limited skill-set compared to his peers. He's essentially one dimensional. Guys like Kamara, Gurley, Johnson, Mixon can be asked to do more because they are receiving threats (and I'm not saying those names are better than Zeke). They have more value as football players.

That's like holding Tom Brady's lack of a duel threat approach against him as the best QB in the league because in the modern game a QB who can take off for first downs and buy extra time in the pocket is more "accounted for" with most of the NFL teams having them now.

That would be true if the ratio between running and passing for QBs were as close as the ratio between running and receiving for RBs. But it's not even close. Passing is 90% of the QBs game, maybe more. Now, if Player A and Player B are identically skilled passers, but Player B is better with his legs - I'm taking Player B. Which is why I think Rodgers is a better QB right now than Brady.

You could try and make the argument that Zeke is purely a better rushing threat than Gurley, Kamara, and Bell which closes the gap and makes up for his lack of receiving ability, but I would find that very hard to believe. Thus, I can't put him on that tier.