Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

1 minute ago, Toonishung13 said:

I posted their real numbers. You added their rookie years, i just went from 16 to current. Its a more accurate guage of their current play capturing a recent screen shot of their production.  If you move the marker further back, yes you can create a gap. By why move the marker? We can even just look at this year and see Gordon is right there. So saying there is 8 more talented RB's is just not accurate at all. Especially when you are using production to guage talent. If so, is there 8 more productive RBs than Gordon this year? In our current state, Gordon has to be looked at as top 3, considering this year he is top 3 in production, no?

Because not adding their rookie years makes no sense lol. You’re adding Todd’s worse year into the equation. Both were drafted the same year. Makes perfect sense. 

9 minutes ago, Toonishung13 said:

I posted their real numbers. You added their rookie years, i just went from 16 to current. Its a more accurate guage of their current play capturing a recent screen shot of their production.  If you move the marker further back, yes you can create a gap. By why move the marker? We can even just look at this year and see Gordon is right there. So saying there is 8 more talented RB's is just not accurate at all. Especially when you are using production to guage talent. If so, is there 8 more productive RBs than Gordon this year? In our current state, Gordon has to be looked at as top 3, considering this year he is top 3 in production, no?

If you want an accurate gauge of their recent play, than why not just show this year and last year? If you want to gauge their full careers, show their full careers. Including '16 but not '15 seems like an attempt to just include Gurley's worst year, while excluding Gordon's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Because not adding their rookie years makes no sense lol. You’re adding Todd’s worse year into the equation. Both were drafted the same year. Makes perfect sense. 

Their rookie year was 3 years ago.. players improve from that long back. We can throw out their rookie and sophmore seasons and look at their recent and current play (17 and 18 seasons) and if Gurley is the barometer league wide of current best RB, then Gordon measures out good next to that barometer. Gurley is still #1 in that span in rushing yds, rushing tds, 2nd in rec tds and yds, 1st yds from scrimmage and 1st total tds. 

But Gordon is 3rd in rushing yds, 2nd rushing tds, 5th in rec yds and 2nd in rec tds, 3rd in yds from scrimmage and 2nd in total tds. 

Edited by Toonishung13

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

If you want an accurate gauge of their recent play, than why not just show this year and last year? If you want to gauge their full careers, show their full careers. Including '16 but not '15 seems like an attempt to just include Gurley's worst year, while excluding Gordon's.

Im ahead of ya there. Just did that above. 

Gordon isn't on the same planet as Gurley. 

He is a good back (much better receiver then he is runner IMO), but he still makes way to many mistakes on the field. I have said it before, but Ekeler is the better and more effective player. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, game3525 said:

He is a good back (much better receiver then he is runner IMO), but he still makes way to many mistakes on the field. I have said it before, but Ekeler is the better and more effective player. 

I would agree with you a couple years ago. But not recently and especially this year. Gordon is 3rd in rushing yds and has a higher ypa than #1 and #2. This with one of the weaker blocking olines. 

Also my argument isnt that Gordon is better or even as good as Gurley. Its that he is in the top 5 or 6 of current RB's. Ones id def put over him are Gurley, Bell, Ezekel and Barkley... the next 2 or 3 is debatable and i think Gordon has proved to be in that argument for sure.

2 minutes ago, Toonishung13 said:

I would agree with you a couple years ago. But not recently and especially this year. Gordon is 3rd in rushing yds and has a higher ypa than #1 and #2. This with one of the weaker blocking olines. 

Gordon's numbers are more of indiction of how they are utilizing him more so then his actually talent. Whiz has done a good job of running Gordon off-tackle, which is something he is always been good at. 

17 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Gordon's numbers are more of indiction of how they are utilizing him more so then his actually talent. Whiz has done a good job of running Gordon off-tackle, which is something he is always been good at. 

This is where I’m at. 

42 minutes ago, game3525 said:

How do you see that? He is #5 in dominator rate, #5 yds created, #4 in big runs and #3 in evaded tackles. Im seeing Gordon pick up yds per contact in the top 5 realm and breaking tackles. I dont think his production is based on formation runs. All this with the #32 ranked oline. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/melvin-gordon/

43 minutes ago, Toonishung13 said:

How do you see that? He is #5 in dominator rate, #5 yds created, #4 in big runs and #3 in evaded tackles. Im seeing Gordon pick up yds per contact in the top 5 realm and breaking tackles. I dont think his production is based on formation runs. All this with the #32 ranked oline. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/melvin-gordon/

I am talking about his efficiency. Gordon has always been good at breaking tackles and getting yards after contact. The big difference this year then the last couple years is the ypc. He has never averaged at least 4 yards per a carry and this year he is averaging 5 yards per a carry. A lot of that is due to how Whiz is utilizing him. He is much better running off-tackle and getting him in space. Ekeler is better in-between the tackles due to his lateral movement and vision. 

Edited by game3525

5 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I am talking about his efficiency. Gordon has always been good at breaking tackles and getting yards after contact. The big difference this year then the last couple years is the ypc. He has never averaged at least 4 yards per a carry and this year he is averaging 5 yards per a carry. A lot of that is due to how Whiz is utilizing him. He is much better running off-tackle and getting him in space. Ekeler is better in-between the tackles due to his lateral movement and vision. 

So what rbs would you currently put over Gordon?

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

I was about to ask, "Is Gordon even the best HB on his own team?" Ekeler was more impressive against the Rams.

So what rbs would you currently put over Gordon?

I would take Gurley, Zeke, DJ, Bell, Barkley, Kamara, Kareem Hunt, and Mark Ingram over MGIII. I have just never been that high on Gordon. Good and productive player, but when you actually watch him closely, you see the deficiencies in his game. 

I was about to ask, "Is Gordon even the best HB on his own team?" Ekeler was more impressive against the Rams.

Yeah, I think the offense functions better with Ekeler in the backfield. Gordon breaks off more big runs, but Ekeler is more consistent at churning out positive yards, which keeps the offense on schedule. He is also much better in pass-protection then Gordon.