Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

I would take Gurley, Zeke, DJ, Bell, Barkley, Kamara, Kareem Hunt, and Mark Ingram over MGIII. I have just never been that high on Gordon. Good and productive player, but when you actually watch him closely, you see the deficiencies in his game. 

Yeah, I think the offense functions better with Ekeler in the backfield. Gordon breaks off more big runs, but Ekeler is more consistent at churning out positive yards, which keeps the offense on schedule. He is also much better in pass-protection then Gordon. 

I think DJ is living off past production, yet to see him return to form from injury.  Not sure how you can put Mark Ingram over Gordon.  Gordon is more rounded than Ingram. I think Hunt is close. But i think Chargers universally are considered to having the worst or one of the worst run blocking olines, which makes what Gordon is doing that much more spectacular.

Ekler thrives off Gordon wearing down the defenses.  Gordon also faces more 8 man fronts.  It's just odd for me to see any player at any position who for nearly a year and a half produces at a top 3 level for their position, be ranked 9 or 10. Can you think of any other player at their position who produces at that level for that period of time who is ranked that low.

With one of the worst run blocking olines to boot. I dont get it. Gordon's only real weakness, is his vision. When running between the tackles he tends to miss the lanes. But it really doesnt hinder him nor negate everything else he does. Im not getting this one. 

44 minutes ago, Toonishung13 said:

I dont get it. Gordon's only real weakness, is his vision. When running between the tackles he tends to miss the lanes. But it really doesnt hinder him nor negate everything else he does. Im not getting this one. 

I'd say that's about 50% of the position. Not something to overlook in his game.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 3:35 PM, Yin-Yang said:

I think it’s incredibly ignorant to assume any NFL player at any position - sans maybe kicker or QB - doesn’t add substantial weight between the combine and their 2nd and 3rd NFL season. Forget just natural growth of someone coming out of college, but they get into real programs with better S&C. Hell, these guys are training to look good in workouts.

Vince Wilfork weighed in at 325 - anybody believe that to be his playing weight?

College Strength and Conditioning programs are widely accepted as far superior. Especially at the big time programs. NFL Strength and Conditioning Coaches are actually sparsely used by the big time athletes. A vast majority of them either have highly paid personal trainers, or return to their colleges over the summer for workouts.

I think DJ is living off past production, yet to see him return to form from injury.  Not sure how you can put Mark Ingram over Gordon.  Gordon is more rounded than Ingram. I think Hunt is close. But i think Chargers universally are considered to having the worst or one of the worst run blocking olines, which makes what Gordon is doing that much more spectacular.

DJ has looked just fine. The issue for him is Mike McCoy isn't utilizing him correctly. They don't use him the passing game and their run concepts are unimaginative. Put DJ on the Chargers and I bet he is just as productive, if not more then Gordon. I don't think Gordon is more well-round then Ingram. Gordon is a better receiver, but Ingram is no slouch there. But Ingram is a better overall runner and is a better pass-protector.

Ekler thrives off Gordon wearing down the defenses.  Gordon also faces more 8 man fronts.  It's just odd for me to see any player at any position who for nearly a year and a half produces at a top 3 level for their position, be ranked 9 or 10. Can you think of any other player at their position who produces at that level for that period of time who is ranked that low.

This is a myth. Ekeler doesn't really depend on Gordon at all. He has much better vision and he is also more explosive laterally, which is why he tends to be more consistent play to play. The reason why Gordon isn't ranked that highly by many people is because they watch him play. Yes, he is very productive, but that is because of volume. If you are getting 300 touches, you should be able to put up numbers. 

With one of the worst run blocking olines to boot. I dont get it. Gordon's only real weakness, is his vision. When running between the tackles he tends to miss the lanes. But it really doesnt hinder him nor negate everything else he does. Im not getting this one. 

Gordon's lack of vision is why he isn't an elite RB. 

For the first half of last season, the Chargers tried to make Gordon the centerpiece of their offense and it was a disaster. He couldn't consistently get 4-5 yards which routinely took the Chargers offense out of rhythm and this is due to his lack of vision. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 6:56 AM, MookieMonstah said:

College Strength and Conditioning programs are widely accepted as far superior. Especially at the big time programs. NFL Strength and Conditioning Coaches are actually sparsely used by the big time athletes. A vast majority of them either have highly paid personal trainers, or return to their colleges over the summer for workouts.

This isn't really accurate. First, NFL S&C programs are superior because they're not subject to the same restrictions that college programs are and have more resources. Second, NFL S&C coaches are used much more than sparsely. Yeah, elite players can get away with doing their own thing, but that's because of their status and financial means. NFL S&C coaches tend to give players more leeway to do things their own way, but that makes total sense. Third, players generally workout elsewhere during certain periods because of the rules in the CBA.

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This isn't really accurate. First, NFL S&C programs are superior because they're not subject to the same restrictions that college programs are and have more resources. Second, NFL S&C coaches are used much more than sparsely. Yeah, elite players can get away with doing their own thing, but that's because of their status and financial means. NFL S&C coaches tend to give players more leeway to do things their own way, but that makes total sense. Third, players generally workout elsewhere during certain periods because of the rules in the CBA.

I know it's not dealing with the modern football but even back in the day some of the most well conditioned athletes had their own training methods that put them far ahead of most of their peers. Jerry Rice being one and even Reggie Bush commented he threw up several times working out with Ladanian Tomilson and his private workouts. So NFL players do benifit by not having the same regulations such as class and other things they have to meet the schedule of on campus. More restrictions when dealing with college.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The big colleges have far more resources/money. NFL weight rooms pale in comparison to what you'll see at Bama, Oregon, LSU, etc. The college strength and conditioning coaches tend to be more educated with proper certification and they get to see the athletes more than head coaches do during the off-season, they have plenty of time with the athletes. I've been involved in NFL and College Strength and Conditioning programs, and the College programs have been superior. Better/more equipment, more coaches, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

The big colleges have far more resources/money. NFL weight rooms pale in comparison to what you'll see at Bama, Oregon, LSU, etc. The college strength and conditioning coaches tend to be more educated with proper certification and they get to see the athletes more than head coaches do during the off-season, they have plenty of time with the athletes. I've been involved in NFL and College Strength and Conditioning programs, and the College programs have been superior. Better/more equipment, more coaches, etc. 

I’ve been to usc and Naaaah

Cowboys weight room is extravagant I'm sure, and I'd still be willing to bet 10-15 colleges have much larger weight rooms. Oregon and Bama weight rooms absolutely blow NFL weight rooms out of the water. It makes sense, why would an NFL team spend millions of dollars for an Oregon level weight room to have 80% of the team not utilize it? Also why NFL S&C coaches make pennies compared to the top dogs of college.

Edited by MookieMonstah

58 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Never seen USCs weight room, but I know its bigger and better than this lolPA220380.jpg

They highlighted USC's weight room on Ballers in like the 3rd episode of this season. Yea it looked like a one of those high priced gyms that have like 2000 members paying 300 a month for access. It was nice but that's not to say that college has a distinct advantage over the pros. Jerry Rice said in a interview his best workouts came from running up a dirt hill and catching bricks with his bare hands.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

They highlighted USC's weight room on Ballers in like the 3rd episode of this season. Yea it looked like a one of those high priced gyms that have like 2000 members paying 300 a month for access. It was nice but that's not to say that college has a distinct advantage over the pros. Jerry Rice said in a interview his best workouts came from running up a dirt hill and catching bricks with his bare hands.

Best psychologically maybe. Some of the "easiest" feeling workouts have the highest benefits. Partner Hamstring is one of the best exercises an athlete can do and it definitely isn't crazy difficult.

Edited by MookieMonstah