Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

8 hours ago, El ramster said:

Idk but Gurley is number 1.. 

Right now Kamara is falling way behind. 

I called the Ingram coming back will have 1 or 2 effects 

Agreed about Gurley been impressed with him. Still think Kamara is firmly a top 3-5 back along with Bell, Zeke, Saquon/Gordon.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:09 PM, tyler735 said:
On 10/18/2018 at 9:16 PM, El ramster said:

Idk but Gurley is number 1.. 

Right now Kamara is falling way behind. 

I called the Ingram coming back will have 1 or 2 effects 

Lol

Can't believe I'm saying this... but he's not wrong. 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Can't believe I'm saying this... but he's not wrong. 

There are 3 parts to his statement I think 2 of them aren't accurate. The first statement obviously a strong argument can be made for Gurley at this point, and certainly don't have any issue with anyone making that argument. The 2nd statement regarding Kamara "falling way behind" I don't agree. "Ingram coming back will have 1 or 2 effects". This past game Kamara still was able to touch the ball 19 times with 17 of the being carries. It wasn't a great week for Kamara or Ingram statistically, but I think many Saints fans were expecting it to be a tough week for yards to come by on the road against a stout Baltimore defense while missing 2 Offensive Lineman.

11 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The 2nd statement regarding Kamara "falling way behind" I don't agree

It has less to do with Kamara, more to do with Gurley putting up 311 yards and 5 TDs over the last two weeks. 

If you're into semantics, "[Kamara] falling way behind" isn't apt... but "[Gurley] is running away with this" would be. The end result is the same - Gurley is the #1 back in the NFL, by a significant margin. 

16 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

"Ingram coming back will have 1 or 2 effects". This past game Kamara still was able to touch the ball 19 times with 17 of the being carries.

Not completely wrong on this either - we're two games in to the tandem backfield, and while yesterday was a return to touches, the week before was clearly a drop in opportunities. (You also have to consider when he wrote that - before yesterday's game was played).

It's admittedly a small sample size, so we'll wait and see - but we did see a drop in half the games played. Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't.

I do think Gurley is clear number 1 at this point.

The thins with Kamara, is Ingram is damn good in his own right.  It doesn't make sense to not use Ingram.  And Sean Payton especially likes to  shuffle RBs constantly.  Plus, it's the number 1 defense on the road with 3 strong lineman in the game.  

And Kamara was definitely never an MVP candidate.  Kamara/Brees isn't a Zeke/Dak relationship.  It's more Brees and less Kamara, and that's just how the Saints offense works.  Kamara may be capable of more, but our offense uses revolving pieces around the centerpiece, which is Brees.

Edit:  meant 3rd string linemen, not 3 strong 

Edited by Jlowe22

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I do think Gurley is clear number 1 at this point.

The thins with Kamara, is Ingram is damn good in his own right.  It doesn't make sense to not use Ingram.  And Sean Payton especially likes to  shuffle RBs constantly.  Plus, it's the number 1 defense on the road with 3 strong lineman in the game.  

And Kamara was definitely never an MVP candidate.  Kamara/Brees isn't a Zeke/Dak relationship.  It's more Brees and less Kamara, and that's just how the Saints offense works.  Kamara may be capable of more, but our offense uses revolving pieces around the centerpiece, which is Brees.

Ingram isn't half as good as Gurley. If Kamara is that elite he should be getting all the carries/looks.. 

But if he doesn't want wear and tear i get it. But why feed Ingram when Kamara is head and shoulders above him? See that sort of works against Kamara,

Despite Sean playing it right. Because why not? But maybe he feels like Kamara can't wear defenses down. 

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It has less to do with Kamara, more to do with Gurley putting up 311 yards and 5 TDs over the last two weeks. 

If you're into semantics, "[Kamara] falling way behind" isn't apt... but "[Gurley] is running away with this" would be. The end result is the same - Gurley is the #1 back in the NFL, by a significant margin. 

Not completely wrong on this either - we're two games in to the tandem backfield, and while yesterday was a return to touches, the week before was clearly a drop in opportunities. (You also have to consider when he wrote that - before yesterday's game was played).

It's admittedly a small sample size, so we'll wait and see - but we did see a drop in half the games played. Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't.

You're right with all of this, but that Redskins game was a little different.  It was National Brees Night in the Superdome, Ingram's first game back, and honestly,  we didn't really need to us Kamara.  Had it been a tighter game, Payton may have used him more.

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Ingram isn't half as good as Gurley. If Kamara is that elite he should be getting all the carries/looks.. 

But if he doesn't want wear and tear i get it. But why feed Ingram when Kamara is head and shoulders above him? See that sort of works against Kamara,

Despite Sean playing it right. Because why not? But maybe he feels like Kamara can't wear defenses down. 

Payton tries to keep guys fresh.  He'll give Ingram carries even when Kamara is doing better.  For better or worse, that's what he does.

I agree though, I think Gurley is better than both.