Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Surprise, Brian May and Roger Taylor turned a biopic about one of the most profoundly interesting human beings to ever live into a safe, sanitized PG-13 wank fest over the band that might as well not even have Freddie Mercury as the main character. From what I've heard, the movie is almost offensive in the lengths it goes to maintain it's banality.

At least Malek is good.

Why do you think they went through so many Freddie's before they could even get to principal filming?  Granted, by everything I've seen Malek does a better acting job than we ever would have gotten out of SBC - SBC just looked so damn much like Freddie.

Brian May has always been an egomaniac (and I always suspected was patently jealous of Mercury), and he was always going to use his hold on the rights to Queen's music to hold any Mercury biopic hostage for it to be turned into a Queen puff-piece to market another tour that he could make money off of.  His prerogative, but it just makes clear that his motivation behind any film was never to pay tribute to his friend and musical partner, and rather to put himself over.  I know Wahl Star (what I've always affectionately referred to "Rock Star" - the Wahlburg movie) as is supposed to largely be based on Rob Halford's leaving/replacement in Judas Priest, but I always felt like the writers drew pretty major inspiration for the Kurt Cuddy character (that Dominic West plays) from May.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Why do you think they went through so many Freddie's before they could even get to principal filming?  Granted, by everything I've seen Malek does a better acting job than we ever would have gotten out of SBC - SBC just looked so damn much like Freddie.

Brian May has always been an egomaniac (and I always suspected was patently jealous of Mercury), and he was always going to use his hold on the rights to Queen's music to hold any Mercury biopic hostage for it to be turned into a Queen puff-piece to market another tour that he could make money off of.  His prerogative, but it just makes clear that his motivation behind any film was never to pay tribute to his friend and musical partner, and rather to put himself over.  I know Wahl Star (what I've always affectionately referred to "Rock Star" - the Wahlburg movie) as is supposed to largely be based on Rob Halford's leaving/replacement in Judas Priest, but I always felt like the writers drew pretty major inspiration for the Kurt Cuddy character (that Dominic West plays) from May.

There are a few accounts I've heard (nothing I could link a source too) that May's feelings towards Mercury waffled between professional respect and complete disdain. 

They just need to let the Pirates franchise die.  The first one was absolutely brilliant.  The rest got progressively worse.  And by progressively worse, I mean the second was barely acceptable, the third was bad, the fourth was really bad, and the fifth one was really, really, really, really bad. 

Don't reboot.  There's enough bad material in that series to just go with a hard remake or don't make it at all.  They had all this great cool stuff to explore (Davy Jones, mermaids, fountain of youth, Poseidon, Calypso) and they did it in such a terrible way that they've completely ruined the mythology in the series beyond repair.

If they want to do it, just start over with a clear and obvious outline instead of winging it like they did with 2/3/4/5.  Make it a planned trilogy with a normal story arc that expands as it goes at a consistent and believable pace.  Have hints about the gods early so that at the end of the third one you don't suddenly have to watch what was originally a witch suddenly turn into a giant god only to crumble into millions of crabs. 

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Found this to be interesting although not sure how good it will be. Basically Captain Kirk against Stannis Baratheon.

Historically this is after the rise (and death ) of William Wallace right? So it could almost be a braveheart sequel?

Edited by rob_shadows

1 minute ago, rob_shadows said:

Historically this is after the rise (and death ) of William Wallace right? So it could almost be a braveheart sequel?

From what I've read it's a historical sequel although I do wonder if they try to tie in Mel Gibson's Braveheart into this or if it just begins with Wallace's death. Neither of which would bother me although I might get goose bumps if I see Mel Gibson's severed head be shown at the beginning.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3530452/director-andy-muschietti-set-direct-attack-titan-warner-bros/

Reported by Variety tonight, IT and IT: Chapter Two director Andy Muschietti, who also directed Mama, will be at the helm of Warner Bros’ Attack on Titan manga adaptation!

Looking forward to this.  I really dislike anime and manga and all that and I just can't stand the animation style at all, but Attack on Titan managed to make me overlook all that.  Muschietti is a perfect choice for a movie that should be a hard R. 

If big budget R-rated horror starts hitting theaters, I might have to start going to them again.