2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

38 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

My bad.  Forgot to address this part.  But I don't see a top 100 prospect in that entire system right now, after Groome blew out his elbow and Chavis was popped for roids.  It seems unlikely that the Marlins take a quantity over quality trade for Realmuto, which is all the Red Sox could offer if they aren't including assets already in the bigs.

I dont see how Chavis being popped matters in the slightest really. Everyones on gear, he was dumb enough to get caught.

39 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The fact that he's demanding a trade won't end up mattering. There's more than 1 team who's going to want him, he's the best catcher in baseball by at least a win right now and doesn't have no-trade protection. So the Marlins are going easily be able to get a bidding war started, and that means teams are going to end up having to pay exactly what he's worth, which is a buttload.

Granted, I wouldn't want the Brewers to make that trade, but I'm pretty confident that's what it costs and my money is on the Dodgers paying that type of price.

My money is on the Astros.  Friedman certainly could roll that way, but I think he resigns Grandal to a 1 year prove it deal to bridge to gap to Ruiz and Smith.

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

My money is on the Astros.  Friedman certainly could roll that way, but I think he resigns Grandal to a 1 year prove it deal to bridge to gap to Ruiz and Smith.

I think they go crazy this year. Trade for JDG with catching prospect depth, trade for Realmuto, re-sign Kershaw, sincerely try and sign Machado/Harper, etc.

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Are you not yet aware that JT Realmuto is the best catcher in baseball? 

Again, they asked for Robles and didn't move him when the Nats said no. They'd probably ask the Red Sox for Devers. Saying you can gather some scraps together and equal a Hiura-lead Brewers offer or Kyle Tucker lead Astros offer is Mets fan internet commenter bad.

ChubbySlowLangur-size_restricted.gif

And yes, the idea that the Red Sox would A) completely gut their entire farm system to the point where it would set the organization back years and years for one player and B) that gutting an already pretty bad farm system would even be enough for the best guy at the most coveted position in baseball is laughable.

The Red Sox flatly do not have the bodies to make anything resembling an equitable package. Dismissing the best catcher in baseball, who's only 27, who's got years of team control left, as even remotely equitable to Swihart is absurd. You aren't getting a deal done for table scraps and reclamation projects. You want him, you need a bonafide proven commodity or a top-5 prospect. The Marlins will, and rightfully, ask for Devers or Benintendo in any trade talks. As a starting point.

That they took a less than equitable deal to get out from under Stanton's contract because they bought a team they couldn't really afford means nothing to trading a guy that's dirt cheap and under team control until 2021.

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It was everywhere, a quick google search should do it.

But here's Heyman:

So a top 25 prospect in baseball, plus a recent first round pick who is already in AA baseball.  Not many teams can meet that price, but the ones with catching needs can definitely do it. 

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Uhhh...what.

This is gonna be a weird winter.

EDIT: This has to be Trevor Rosenthal's contract, not Greg Holland's.

Heyman relegated to Nightengale status.

The Nats get enamored with any player who used to close, instead of actually building a bullpen with players who fit different roles. 

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Braves reporters have said that the Marlins have asked for Soroka and Riley in a Realmuto deal. 

That is a high asking price. Marlins are smart to move on, feel like Cs fall apart crazy fast which is why more and more make the switch to 1B sooner rather than later. If these rumors are legit the Sox are definitely out lol

Archived