2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

So the GM meetings are next week, and the Orioles still haven't announced either a President or Executive Vice President, much less a GM.  

I guess since they are going to tank anyway, they are also planning to tank the offseason.  At this point, good luck filling out the coaching staff this year, most of the hiring is occuring for those positions now.  

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Both. I would assume in particular Kershaw gets a lower AAV for luxury tax flexibility for the team, but more years that ups the total dollar value substantially for the player. 

Absolutely agree with this.  

45 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Dont think C is that big of a need for Red Sox. 

Vazquez was hitting the ball hard in the WS. I don't think its a giant need either, I think Swihart has a ton of potential. Realmuto is a beast and would add a ton to our lineup but he's not worth what he's going to cost. Especially with Cs average careers being shorter than any other position.

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

The #Cubs are picking up Cole Hamels' $20 million option today, according to sources. In a related move, they're trading pitcher Drew Smiley to the #Rangers.

The Rangers were on the hook for a $6 million buyout for Hamels if the Cubs declined the option.  Smyly will make $7 million this year.  Cubs obviously wanted Hamels back for 1 year, so they gave the Rangers the ability to get an actual player for that money and the Cubs get to keep their guy on what amounts to a 1 year, $13 million deal.  Makes a lot of sense for both teams.  

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

The Rangers were on the hook for a $6 million buyout for Hamels if the Cubs declined the option.  Smyly will make $7 million this year.  Cubs obviously wanted Hamels back for 1 year, so they gave the Rangers the ability to get an actual player for that money and the Cubs get to keep their guy on what amounts to a 1 year, $13 million deal.  Makes a lot of sense for both teams.  

It's only 1/$13M if they don't sign anyone to replace Smyly.

8 minutes ago, mse326 said:

It's only 1/$13M if they don't sign anyone to replace Smyly.

Smyly was signed last offseason to compete for a starting spot this year.  Hamels eliminated all competition for a rotation spot.  It's Lester/Hendricks/Hamels/Darvish/Quintana, with Montgomery as the longman/spot starter/injury replacement.  

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Smyly was signed last offseason to compete for a starting spot this year.  Hamels eliminated all competition for a rotation spot.  It's Lester/Hendricks/Hamels/Darvish/Quintana, with Montgomery as the longman/spot starter/injury replacement.  

Call up Baltimore and see if you can get them to take on the Chatwood contract in exchange for a couple prospects. 

Jon Paul Morosi of MLB.com reports that the White Sox are interested in Manny Machado and Bryce Harper.

Most speculation has centered on the Phillies as being active on either or both, but Morosi writes that the White Sox could next as far as being best-positioned to spend big money this winter. And it's going to take big money, so it's a little early to speculate on a landing spot. However, Chicago's interest in Machado dates back to last offseason. They can't be ruled out as a wild card here

On 11/2/2018 at 6:59 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Call up Baltimore and see if you can get them to take on the Chatwood contract in exchange for a couple prospects. 

I think everyone will be called to see if they will take on Chatwood, with the Cubs paying all but $5 million per year or something.  Wouldn't be shocked to see him combined with Addison Russell in a deal for a low level lottery ticket.  

30 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Jon Paul Morosi of MLB.com reports that the White Sox are interested in Manny Machado and Bryce Harper.

Most speculation has centered on the Phillies as being active on either or both, but Morosi writes that the White Sox could next as far as being best-positioned to spend big money this winter. And it's going to take big money, so it's a little early to speculate on a landing spot. However, Chicago's interest in Machado dates back to last offseason. They can't be ruled out as a wild card here

I will go ahead and just rule them out.  Actual competitive teams will be offering similar contracts, so unless the White Sox are offering $50 million a year or something stupid like that, that just isn't happening.

44 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I will go ahead and just rule them out.  Actual competitive teams will be offering similar contracts, so unless the White Sox are offering $50 million a year or something stupid like that, that just isn't happening.

tbh I think the actual reason this is a pipe dream is because both Machado and Harper will be putting multiple player options on their contracts. No sense in burning a draft pick and a bunch of money if you're the White Sox to just have your franchise cornerstone opt out after 2 years.

10 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I think everyone will be called to see if they will take on Chatwood, with the Cubs paying all but $5 million per year or something.  Wouldn't be shocked to see him combined with Addison Russell in a deal for a low level lottery ticket.  

I would expect the Sox to be competitive soon

Archived